Butterscotch's menu choices

gcvmom

Here we go again!
... now consist of soggy cat kibble in a watery mixture with a dollop of corn syrup, mashed potato from inside a pierogi and a sprinkling of quick oats, wet beef cat food, soggy frosted corn flakes in milk, yogurt mixed with green smoothie drink (has a bunch of fruit plus greens in it), and of course her medicated water.

She really perked up last night after I'd force fed her about two tablespoons of soggy kibble over a period of a few hours. Then a put her beak into the mashed potato mixture alterated by the yogurt mixture and lots of sips of water in between. She finally got enough energy to peck at the wet cat food on her own and managed to eat about 1/8 of the tiny can. And she's getting enough energy to stand on her own now, which she does occasionally. She even tried to preen herself last night.

I also gave her a bath last night since she was pretty messed up underneath from laying down in her own plops. Just filled the drain end of the tub with about an inch or two of lukewarm water and had her sit in it to soften everything up. It wasn't a perfect job, but it got a lot of the gunk out of her feathers. Then I wrapped her in a towel and used my hair dryer on the lowest warm setting and held it as far away as I could and still dry the feathers. She didn't seem too bothered by that, though the intial dip in the water kinda freaked her out.

This is definitely a labor of love -- it is insanely time consuming and is not going very fast. I have more time today to spend with her so maybe I can help her make more progress.

I picked up a tomato last night to offer her since they are attracted to red colors... maybe I can get some chopped bits of that into her this morning...

Pray for my patience and pray for her recovery.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know... I have to admit... I started to wonder for a moment about taking such care of an animal that was only a chicken... And then before I could think anything else negative I realized that... mine is only a cat. Mine is considered food in a lot of places and actually isn't as useful. She doesn't lay eggs!

Love is where you find it. And Butterscotch is definitely loved. I'm impressed... By your patience... By your commitment. By the whole tomato thing. And I wish I could send you one through the ether. Mostly because your taking care of her reminded me that sometimes I roll my eyes when I really shouldn't.

Thank you. And give Butterscotch a petting for me. ;)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can honestly say this is only the 2nd time I've ever prayed for a chicken. A duck yes.....but that is another story.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Don't let it get out you are running a chicken spa.................. lines will form................... hope she gets better................

witzend

I bought a can of roasted tomatoes last week. They're pretty bland, so not lots of salt, but they're nice and soft. You might try that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Casa Linda Poio Day Spa......ROFLMtail feathers off......OMG....

....When you feel peckish.....you will be spoon fed.

DammitJanet

Let me tell you, we have nursed many a bird back to health here from some pretty serious wounds. Not easy but it can be done. I cant tell you how many times we have had sick birds in the house.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I'm caving in and taking her to a vet this afternoon because I'm back to force feeding/watering her, although she still seems to have the strength to stand every now and then, but all she does is sleep, sometimes with her beak in the little glass dish of slop I mixed for her and put up close to her. Found a vet that treats birds, including poultry for an exam fee under $40, and about a half hour away. easy child will have to go with me after I pick her up from school -- I'm hoping this is a good experience for her, regardless of what happens.