Buying American?

Lothlorien

40% myself. I don't even buy any of those brands listed anyway. I do try to buy American brands.

It's amazing when you see that the juice that we buy for our kids comes from China. Like we don't have enough apples in the US to make our own apple juice???

My girlfriend's husband owns a couple of fast food restaraunts. It is actually cheaper for them to send the stuff to china and have them bread it and prepare it and then ship it back to the states than if they just did the food prep here! Even with the price of oil these days! That is just pathetic.

meowbunny

70% here -- got lucky and guessed right on a couple and went the opposite of what my logic said (sounds foreign, it's American). Sadly, I don't think I really knew the answer to a single one.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
40% for me -- guess I'd better start reading labels! I know for the past month or so I've been trying to avoid buying anything "Made in China" -- it's SO HARD to do!

skeeter

I got 70%, but I work for a company that has products in a lot of these categories, so I knew quite a few.

Ivory bar soap is now NOT made by Procter and Gamble (yes, it WAS our earliest named product) but by the "St Bernard Soap Company". Which is owned by Trillium Health Care Products. Which is a Canadian Company.

Marguerite

I didn't do the test since a lot of the names aren't sold in Australia as a rule. However, those who worry that the US is selling off its companies to the world - take heart. You just bought Victa from Australia. We have just lost another icon and Aussie invention - the Aussie lawnmower.

I think we still own the Hills Hoist clotheslines, but I can't be sure.

Not even Vegemite is Australian any more - yep, the US owns Kraft as well. Plus Arnotts (with an Aussie rosella on the label). We don't even own Tim Tams!

Very depressing, for Australia.

And don't get me STARTED on ugg boots - they're an Aussie icon, we have the word in common usage here so anyone making a sheepskin boot can call them uggs in Australia but IS NOT PERMITTED to copyright the name. This is how a US company was able to copyright the name and THEN try to prosecute Aussie companies selling uggs in the US. They tries to prosecute on Aussie shores as well, but on appeal it failed. Thank goodness.
But Ausie companies are no longer permitted to sell uggs in the US. At least, not called uggs.
So when you buy "Ugg" boots, remember they are a US (more expensive also) copy of the original Aussie product.
I buy my uggs here (of course) from Aussie sheepskin (we have plenty of them). I get the de-luxe ones that reach to the knee, with heavy soles. They cost me A$120-160, depending on which shop I go to. I think that is a lot less.

So if you're planning a trip Down Under, plan to buy your uggs while you are here. You could almost pay for your trip!

Marg