Call from Special Education

Wiped Out

Staff member
teacher today after school. Needless to say difficult child did not have a good day. Slapped another student quite hard and also has been swearing at teachers and leaving class. Then he told a teacher that he would rather kill himself with a fork than apologize to her. (Have to say I didn't know whether to laugh or take the threat semi-seriously).

I did have have a talk with him but he is so difficult to have a conversation with. He says he often dreams of death and that he might do it and see us when we get to heaven. Of course, then he said he wouldn't do it, then in the next breath, "you'd have to put pennies in my eyes if I die." Don't know where he comes up with this. It's hard to tell with him what is unstable thinking and what is just his "normal" thinking but his thought process is so strange.

Don't know whether to be concerned or not (about the killing himself thing-I don't really think he would do anything but I don't want to underreact either).

Spec. ed teacher also said that difficult child has been very manic like lately!

Guess I'll be placing a call to the psychiatrist tomorrow before I leave for Florida.

JJJ

A manic state and suicidal thoughts are a dangerous combination. Have you considered a psychiatric hospital stay?

Wiped Out

Staff member
JJJ,
We haven't at this point. The weird thing is they are seeing a lot more of this at school than we are at home right now. on the other hand, he does rapid cycle so it is possible that he is more manic at school. His "normal" thought process is so strange it's hard to know if he is just saying that more for effect or because he really would consider it. The psychiatrist just saw him yesterday but, of course, that was before he made the suicide threat.

crazymama30

I am sorry he is being that way at school.

But a fork??? Really?

Is there something or someone who is setting him off at school?

DammitJanet

Where did he get the pennies in his eyes? That is something that was done at one time but it sounds like someone told him that or it was being studied or something. Movie? Book? Halloween?