Calling all star gazers!

Estherfromjerusalem

Mstang, thank you for reminding me. I heard about it on the radio today, and then forgot about it. Since I am usually up until about 3 in the morning, I shall make it my business to go out to the balcony every now and then and see if I can see any.

Love, Esther

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I drove out to the desert with the kids last summer to watch this -- it was pretty cool! The sky was very clear and we were far from any cities that could cause a lot of light pollution. This year, though, the moon will be very bright, so only the brightest meteors will be visible. I'm not sure if we'll take the trip yet.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That is one of the neat things about living out here. There is a pretty strict low light policy, especially at night.
The big box stores are always trying to fight it, but because many space studies are being conducted here all over and all over the time it is pretty much a no go.

That is one thing I want so bad, a decent telescope! And a staircase up to our roof!

I will try to take a peak tonight! Thanks

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
When we lived in Maine we used to take our lawn chairs out to the "back five acres" which were actually in the front. What a sight!

Has any one seen the Italian movie "Night of the Shooting Stars"? It takes place during WWII. It's both tragic and beautiful.

I love the way some cultures know how to celebrate a celestial event.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, it's 10:30pm and I'm bravely heading out for the desert with difficult child 2 and easy child to "see what we can see".

Wish me luck!

Marguerite

I noticed that Google had changed decorations to indicate the Perseids.

Trouble is, from what I'm able to find out Sydney Australia is not well placed for optimum viewing.

We could see some, though. However, I have choir practice tonight - unless I drag difficult child 3 out after I get back form choir. We'd have to go into the bushland a short way, that helps us lose the light pollution from Sydney and from the village streetlights.

It all depends on how cold it is for us tonight and whether my cough can handle it...

Thanks for the reminder!

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We just got back from our little outing. Despite a wee bit of cloud cover, we saw several dozen -- some fairly spectacular! After about an hour, though, the kids were DONE. And of course, the McD's coffee I drank on the way out is still racing through my veins...:highvoltage:

Eh -- who needs sleep anyway?

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, this is the second night. Last night I didn't have much time out on the balcony, and couldn't see a single thing. But just now I went out for a few minutes, and I saw one star just fly across the sky. It was beautiful.

I'll go out a bit later (it's midnight now) and see what I can see.

Love, Esther

mstang67chic

Going Green
I went outside a couple of times last night between midnight and one. I THINK I saw a total of 2 but I'm not sure. Well....I'm fairly sure on the one, I just wasn't quick enough to get a solid look. The other.....I'm still not sure if I saw one or if it was a star I saw out of the corner of my eye when I turned my head.

I'm going to try again tonight.

Mattsmom277

S/O and I just spent an hour outside and saw dozens and dozens and dozens. it was spectacular. We are smack in town too. Albeit my street isn't brightly lit, but still, city lights are bright and in spite of them we had a great view. Just plunked in the front yard on patio chairs, leaned our necks on the back of the chairs and watched like little kids. Well over 2 dozen were super bright ones. I'm glad we decided to brave the night crawlies and fliers (mosquitoes are awful here this year from all the rain!!!!!!!!!!). So I have dozens of bites but it was worth it. I may have another gander before I head to bed.