Can Amish Friendship Loaf starter be frozen?

trinityroyal

I have a bit of a dilemma. My lovely neighbour from over the road brought me an Amish Friendship Loaf starter. I'm delighted, as I've always wanted to try it (and LOVED the baked loaf she also brought for me), but I don't have the time let alone the patience to bake every 10 days.

So...if I pop the starter in the freezer will it be ruined?

Help!

Trinity

Marguerite

It's basically sourdough, isn't it? In which case - I think freezing it risks killing it. However, I have put bread dough in the fridge overnight to slow down the rising. It works brilliantly for croissants especially, you have them risen perfectly by morning, all you have to do is put them in the oven and bake them for breakfast.

Marg

trinityroyal

I'm not really sure whether it's sourdough. I don't know anything about the composition other than the ingredients I have added (flour / sugar / milk) according to the instructions I was given. For that matter, I don't know anything about sourdough either. The baked loaf that M brought me tasted like a cinnamon cake more so than bread and the texture was similar to pound cake.

I've only ever baked crusty white bread and egg bread, and I've never tried to freeze it. I'm in uncharted territory and a bit lost.

SRL

It should freeze fine--it's heat that will kill off the starter.

The usual recipe calls for 1 cup of starter so divide it up into plastic bags and freeze.

Ask me how I know. Someone gave me some 12 days ago and all I've done is feed it and dissolve it in water to look for microbes under the microscope.:alien: I'm going to bake once, save a few cups in the freezer, and pitch the rest.

Last night I was deciding what to do with it and found these instructions, which I like a lot.
http://www.mamablogga.com/not-so-amish-friendship-bread-instructions/

SRL

Yes, it's sourdough--yeast and lactobaccilus. Freezing should put it into a dormant stage. And if not it's easy to make again.

Marguerite

OK, a point I need to make - sourdough is NOT yeast-free. I know you also made this clear, SRL, but I felt the need to emphasise. We have an alternative lifestyle magazine here in Australia called "Grass Roots".s Not sure if it's still in print... it's very hippie. I remember a lot of misconceptions tis magazine was trying to fix for people, years ago, on sourdough vs conventional yeast bread. There were people who were sending in their own recipes for naturally leavened bread as a yeast-free alternative for people with yeast intolerances.

The "naturally leavened" bread - you mixed up the dough, including sucrose in some form (they tended to use honey) and put it out, uncovered, on the windowsill for a few days. And almost by magic, it would acquire leavening, all by itself!

The magazine editors pointed out that this "natural leavening" was actually wild yeast just blowing in and landing in the dough. So much produce that requires some natural bio-active agent got its start through natural exposure to these agents in the environment. We make wine by pressing grapes, the natural yeasts are on the grape skins already.

Not all natural yeasts are good and will give a good result. So this method won't always work well. And you have to always remember - it's still yeast.

Good luck with this Friendship loaf. I don't bake as much as I used to, but we still bake a fair bit of bread. We used to average about a loaf a day (one kilogram loaf). I also make bread rolls, sweet bread, savoury flavoured bread - all sorts. You can have a lot of fun playing with bread dough.

Marg