Can Anyone Answer a Dental Question?

S

Signorina

I am wondering - did her teeth shift or did her bite shift? I had my bite shift dramatically and TEMPORARILY when I dislocated my jaw. Sounds a lot more serious than it was - and it didn't actually shift my bite until maybe 1-2 days after I injured it. It was not painful - a little achy and it felt "off" which was disconcerting. And in case you are wondering how I did it - I was opening my own car door and whacked myself in the chin area with the door. Not hard enough to bruise it - hard enough to hop around for a bit though. Yes, I am that coordinated and graceful-------> NOT.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sig has a good point.

For years I didn't go to the dentist unless I was in pain... mine unfortunately was necessary.

H

HaoZi

If she grinds her teeth (waking or sleeping) that can change her bite, too.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
If she grinds her teeth (waking or sleeping) that can change her bite, too.

I was wondering along these lines, too...

difficult child had been raging pretty much all week - and when she rages she clenches her jaw. She will often hurt herself during a rage and only become aware of the injury later. She's put her fists through boards, broken things in her hands, gouged her skin with her fingernails, stabbed herself with coathangers/pencils/pens.

I hope the dentist gives her a good "once over" before just going in and pulling teeth.

Although difficult child has been begging to have those teeth out - so I guess we'll see...

H

HaoZi

Clenching is pretty close to grinding and the damage is similar, she could well have shifted her bite or teeth by doing that, possibly even chipped some.

DammitJanet

They most almost assuredly take xrays and check her bite with that paper they have you bite on. They have to justify taking a tooth out.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
UPDATE:

Now difficult child is complaining that one of her rear molars is cracked and a filling is falling out. As far as I am concerned, that prretty well confirms my suspicion that difficult child's dental issues are being caused by grinding her teeth or clenching her jaws. BUT - because Mom and Dad are stupid, difficult child is hearing one of it. She insists that it is all being caused by her wisdom teeth - and once they are removed everything will be fine.

I hope the dentist is able to do something for her that will actually help!

(My worst fear? That difficult child will insist on having the wisdom teeth out - and then when things don't improve she will insist on the next set of molars being removed... I know that sounds silly, but this is the same kid who pulled out a lot of her baby teeth before they were ready AND the same kid who pulls out all her eyelashes AND the same kid who will pull out her hair until she creates bald spots....so yeah, I'm worried...)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
She can insist, but any decent dentist WON'T. So until she's 18, you're in the clear. After that....... :sigh:

InsaneCdn

Make sure the dentist knows the history... AND, stay with difficult child the whole time. If they won't permit you to stay with her, then tell them you will not pay for ANYTHING not directly discussed first with you and explicitly approved... because of course, you aren't going to approve pulling teeth without a REALLY good reason.

DammitJanet

dentists are going to these xrays called panorama xrays that show the teeth and the roots. They can see if there are any cavities, issues with the roots, the wisdom teeth crowding in and all things like that. If there are no problems, the dentist wont pull a perfectly good tooth. He may send her home with a prescription for flossing more, a rx toothpaste and tell her to come back in 6 months so they can keep an eye on things. Maybe I should send her a picture of my mouth after all my teeth have been removed. LOL

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Due to my tooth problems - I've had so many panoramic x-rays done it's not even funny. For YEARS.

I should send difficult child a picture of my mouth, too... Janet and I can scare her to death.