Can bed pillows

klmno

be washed? I was going to run to the laundromate to wash the larger comforters and was wondering what would happen if I threw a couple of pillows in another washing machine. Has annyone tried this to see if it ruins the pillow?

slsh

member since 1999
It never occurred to me that pillows might not be washable. ;) I wash them all the time. Probably makes a difference if they're down, but ours aren't, so I toss them in the washer and dryer frequently.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Would never wash down pillows in regular washer................ too big a chance you would be pulling feathers out forever.......wouldn't wash the foam pillows either, but the cotton "batting" ones would be okay, (I commonly wash my dog's bedding in the washer, which is the "batting" type ) the only thing I would worry about if you don't have a large capacity washer/dryer at home.......... getting them dry would take several drying sessions ........ could be costly, but I don't know what coinage it takes to wash these days, but takes forever to DRY stuffing............ I would say give it a try, but if the covering for pillow is old or weak you may end up with "cotton balls" in the washer..................

slsh

member since 1999
Having a kid with- chronic stomach issues, I've washed just about everything, LOL. Probably some things that aren't supposed to be washed, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I do wash the foam pillows, but sometimes have to do them twice, flipping them so both sides get washed (part of it will stick up out of the water). I've got an ancient Kenmore dryer that does get them dry in one session - I make sure to put other stuff in there because if I dry the pillow alone, it tends to get flattened against the sides of the dryer and then it takes longer. Ideally, laundromat monster machines would work best I think.

I did have a pillow that was my favorite. It was probably 15 years old and well used. I like squishy pillows with not much form and this one was just *perfect*. Its final washing, the seam broke and when I pulled it out of the washer, all I had was the cover. Whatever was inside not only came out, but it went down the drain. So probably not a bad idea to check the seams if it's a floppy pillow. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I wash ours about once a month. We have a normal size washer and dryer so I do 2 at a time on gentle/hot water/cold rinse. When you put them in the dryer - low heat & throw in a couple tennis balls - they will help speed the drying process AND make the pillows fluffier. I use tennis balls with comforters, coats etc. Down too. LOL

DammitJanet

Timely question!

I just washed all my bedding yesterday. Comforters and blankets at home. I have to take pillows to the laundromat though because I have so many and it is quicker. Normally I just take it all there and do it at one time but I dont have my car handy so I am not doing pillows this time.

I use tennis shoes in the dryer instead of tennis balls. LOL.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I wash all our pillows - down, foam rubber - you name it. For the down ones? I bought washer balls. (they look like medieval balls with spikes on them) they help with the agitation. Of course I have a top loading front-loader without an agitator, so that helps but....even before I got that? I washed my down pillows in it. If you take them to the laundromat? I recommend putting them in a zippered bag. When you put ANY pillows in a dryer? Put in three new tennis balls to assist with drying. It also helps with the drying of comforters.

This time of year - you can also line dry comforters for a bit to assist with your electric bill and then put them in the dryer to save a few $$.

DammitJanet

Odd you said that Star. I had mine hanging over the swing set while my blankets dried...lol.

I never thought I would be having a swing set in my yard when I was nearing 50 but there it is!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think one of the saddest days in my adult life was when DF took our swing and slide down Janet. So I'm there with ya.

klmno

Well I just got back from the laundromat to do the larger comforters and pillows- stuff I'd be afraid to try in my machines at home. I let the pillows stay damp in order to hurry and run by the store to pick up fruit and milk for difficult child and a sandwich for my lunch. Then I thought- it doesn't matter that the pillows are damp because these are our older pillows and we just use them when lounging on the sofa/chair to watch a movie- but the reason they are our "old" ones is because they had started looking dirty and it never occurred to me they could be washed, so I had bought us new ones about 6 months before difficult child got incarcerated. I had already put our clean sheets on our beds and didn't want to redo that today, so our "new" pillows will be washed the next time I do the comforters. This is really nice to know- now I feel yucky for us sleeping on pillows for a year, then replacing them.

muttmeister

I subbed at school today so I'm getting to this late but I wash all of my pillows all the time. The cotton ones and the foam ones work best as others have said; the feather ones take a lot longer to dry. With grandkids who still wet the bed plus two big dogs who think they need to use pillows for their heads, mine get washed often and I've never had any problems.

Marguerite

I don't wash my pillows often enough - I count on the pillow protectors to keep the pillows clean. Most of our pillows are synthetic fibre-fill, very washable. And if you don't want to risk your washing machine (front loaders are gentler) then you can always fill the bathtub and throw the kids in, teach them the grape-stomping method.

But my favourite down pillow seemed to be flattening out too far and I needed to do something - so I bought a new one. Then I thought - what harm would it do, to wash my down pillow in the front-loader, and try to salvage it? So I did. The poor thing looked like a pancake when I brought it out, so I put it through a friend's tumble-dryer, and it fluffed it back up beautifully. It's like new.

So now I have two expensive down pillows...

Marg