can i claim my son? taxes

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by PiscesMom, Apr 12, 2017.

  1. PiscesMom

    PiscesMom Active Member

    if he was in treatment from january until late september of 2016? the school paid. then he was released to me.
    i think it is a No..., right?
  2. PiscesMom

    PiscesMom Active Member

    oh, and if my daughter who i am claiming, was a ft student and made around 4,000 last year, is it best if that i don't add this income on? it says i don't have to.

    if i sound greedy w these questions, it is cuz i don't have quite enough to live on. so everything counts!!!
  3. RN0441

    RN0441 100% better than I was but not at 100% yet

    Our accountant told us we can claim our 21 year old son as long as he is a full time student. Is your son a student that was in treatment? If so you can claim him.
  4. PiscesMom

    PiscesMom Active Member

    omg - really??? i would love to, but he wasnt technically living with me, just for 3 months. but he was a full time student. :)

    i did find this as well...i guess a residential is a boarding school, in a sense, just a therapeutic one.

    1. Qualifying Child Requirements
    To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, a child must meet several requirements. See if your child meets these conditions:

    • Your child must be 16 or younger at the end of the year.
    • A qualifying child can be your child, stepchild, foster child, sibling, stepsibling, half sibling, or a descendant of one of them, such as your grandchild, niece or nephew.
    • The child must live with you for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, however, if he lives at boarding school or somewhere else for medical care.
    • The child cannot pay for more than half of his own expenses.
    • You must claim the child as your dependent on your tax return, and he can’t file a joint return except to claim a tax refund. For example, if your child is married and isn’t exempt from filing a return with his spouse, you can’t claim the child tax credit.
    • The child must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or U.S. resident alien and have a Social Security or individual taxpayer ID number.
  5. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    The Child Tax Credit and claiming him as a dependent are two different things. You can call IRS and ask; since it's for a return you haven't filed yet, you want to talk to someone in Tax Law.
  6. PiscesMom

    PiscesMom Active Member

    thanks!! i decided i am not going to claim him for bigger refund - its a grey area. i know his dad will even tho he did nothing for him in 2016.
  7. ksm

    ksm Well-Known Member

    my tax guy said we could claim my daughter who was 18 last year, and lived with us and attended school for 5 months in 2016. But, when she filed her taxes, she should claim zero dependent ...and we would claim her. We couldn't both claim her.

    She worked part time. Maybe less than $4,000 for the year. He said our claiming her would not affect the amount of refund she would get back.