Can I make ins cover.......

dlp30

Shoes??? My youngest was diagnosis with cerebral palsy a couple of weeks ago and we went to phisical therapy for the first time the other day. Well she said that she would like to see her have shoes with a better arch support and ankle support than the cheapO's that I buy because their feet grow so fast. But I know that these other shoes will probably be quite costly so I was wondering if I have a leg to stand on and demand the ins to pay for them. In my mind I do but.... Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

O

OTE

I can only speak to the tax side of this. If there's a letter from the doctor saying that she needs certain shoes then yes. Saying that she needs arch supports or something like that isn't going to fly. But something that serves a medical purpose eg orthopedic shoes. Would really be better that it recommends a brand and style. I don't see a recommendation from the physical therapist flying either. needs to be a dr prescription or prescription equivalent. Best to check your medical plan booklet or website for "over the counter" items. See what they say they do and don't cover.

bigblueagain

the best way to find out is to call your insurance company and ask. The reason I say this, is that all of the companies that I worked for, 2 hmo's, 1 ppo and 1 indemnity company, the ONLY covered shoes were for diabetics. That was because it was a better thing to keep their feet healthy than to pay for hospitalization due to non healing sores. The only way shoe inserts(orthotics) were covered was if they were prescribed by a physician and used in conjunction WITH physical therapy. Some don't cover them at all unless used with braces. hope this helps. This is sort of the same reason insurers don't cover formula or tube feeding supplies........shoes and food are EXPECTED expenses that everyone has. Just because the shoes or inserts or feedings may be more expensive sort is the same as someone who decides they want Manolo Bahlik shoes instead of Hush Puppies....their choice on something they have to have anyway. BIGBLUE

dlp30

Thanks I will contact the ins co. I would think that if they really are necessary I could get the dr to write a script for them. The physical therapist did give me specific names of shoes to get. But I know I won't be able to afford them on my own. Thanks for your help OTE and BigBlue I will go fight with the ins now!!

O

OTE

I think Big Blue gives you the right idea.. you want the doctor to say that the insur co will spend less money on therapy if she has the right shoes. In other words, they buy shoes they save money on therapy.