Can love vanish at once?

Lil

Paradise by the Dashboard Light

Couldn't take it any longer, Lord I was crazy, when the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave. Started swearing to my God and on my mother's grave, that I would love you to the end of time. I swore I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time, to hurry up and arrive. Because if I have to spend another minute with you, I don't think that I can hardly survive. I'll never break my promise or forget my vow, but God only knows what I can do right now! And so I'm praying for the end of time, so I can End My Time With You!

I didn't even have to Google that. :D

Copabanana

I believe if you love somebody, love never dies.

But people change. And they need and want a different kind of love. But the old love endures.

I loved a man I have seen once in 25 years. I will go to my grave loving him, a little.

If I had the chance to be with him, now, I would not take it. The way I loved him is not the way I want to live anymore. I know a different way of loving and being loved. And I prefer it.

If the truth be told, I may never have wanted him for forever. But did I love him? Yes I did. Do I love him? Still.

Perhaps that is what happened to Rhett. He will never stop loving Scarlett, but it came to a time when the way he loved her was not enough.

Like some of you, I wonder if Scarlett has the capacity to change, to grow, to be what Rhett needs her to be.

On the other hand, I don't think that Rhett is looking for safe and predictable. I think part of his love for Scarlett is because she is Scarlett. He loves her not because of what he gets...but because of who she is.

Thank you, SWOT. What a delicious and fun post.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I never liked Love Story. I thought it was...well...(trying to think of a better word)....I can't. Dumb.

It didn't make me sad or want to cry at all. I saw it once and never wanted to see it again.

ET was a good kid's movie, but in my opinion nowhere near GWTW.

I loved the 1969?? version of Romeo and Juliet.

witzend

That could be Witz? But I think Scarlett would have grown through the pain of realizing the fool she'd been over Ashley, over having convinced herself Ashley was who she needed him to be.

Cedar

Then again, Rhett had had plenty of time to grow out of his hope for Scarlett to change, Scarlett has only just that moment come to the realization that she's been a fool. And we all know from our experiences with our difficult child's that the realization that they have been foolish in one thing doesn't necessarily carry through right away to a change in the rest of their relationships.

Scent of Cedar *

I never liked Love Story. I thought it was...well...(trying to think of a better word)....I can't. Dumb.

I didn't like it when I was young, either. But for grands around nine or twelve?

They loved it.

ET the Extra Terrestrial was what we watched for the little one. I loved it.

:O)

Gone With the Wind is a favorite for all of us. We have never watched it with my daughter. Maybe that is what we will do, all of us, if a miracle occurs and they really do come here this summer.

Cedar

BusynMember

Then again, Rhett had had plenty of time to grow out of his hope for Scarlett to change, Scarlett has only just that moment come to the realization that she's been a fool. And we all know from our experiences with our difficult child's that the realization that they have been foolish in one thing doesn't necessarily carry through right away to a change in the rest of their relationships.
I like this!!!!
Rhett was a Difficult Child too, but the difference is he never took anything from anybody nor expected his family to take care of him. And neither did Scarlett. Both, however, would use people for their own advantage.
Rhett was also older than Scarlett at 35.
Scarlett admitted, at the end of the movie, that she was 28.

I still don't like Love Story, Cedar.

But then again I'm one of the few people I know who thought Forrest Gump was one of the worst movies ever.

Scent of Cedar *

Forrest?

I love that movie. I love the way the mom is so matter of course about everything, including her own death. I love the part where she tells Forrest vacation is when the father goes away and never comes back.

I love it, when Forrest asks Jenny whether the little boy is okay, or is he like Forrest. We never knew, until then, that Forrest got it all along, that he was different.

That is the movie our younger granddaughter requests, every time she is here, and she was fifteen, when we saw it together last Fall.

On Golden Pond. That is D H and me. We watch that one first, just D H and I, every Spring when we get home. No one else likes it very much, but we just so get that movie.

So what sorts of movies do you enjoy, SWOT?

Nothing with any bullsh** in it, I bet.

Cedar

BusynMember

Cedar, I'm not a huge movie fan, but I favor excitement in movies..psychological thrillers are my favorite ones. I can probably list maybe five movies that I felt were worth the money I paid to see them (or my time watching them). Here are a random selection of movies I REALLY liked and, no, I don't expect anyone to have the same taste as I do...lol.

GWTW
The Sound of Music (even though it is mostly fictionalized and the kids didn't really think the stepmother was all that great. They say their real mother was who taught them to sing, but it was still great story, great music).
Romeo and Juliet (not the modern version)
Groundhogs Day (fabulous message, good story, good acting, shot very close to where I used to live in Woodstock IL).
Play Misty for Me (I saw it five times. It scared me each time)
Notting Hill (This is not usually my kind of movie, but this was so...real to me...and Hugh Grant was so hot...I had a big crush on the younger Hugh Grant). Seen this one often too.

Just a few.