Can pain and poor sleep quality cause mood swings?

FlowerGarden

I've been suffering from sciatic nerve pain. When I sleep, I am constantly waking up from pain from moving around in my sleep. My doctor has tried various medications but the only thing that works somewhat is Tylenol with codeine. I get 4 hours of solid sleep with that. The rest of the time I fall asleep and wake up many times before I have to get up. I can't take the medication when I wake up during the night because it takes awhile to work for me. The past 3 days, I've been having bursts of energy and then get real down to the point of crying sometimes. I've taken Tylenol with Codeine a few times during my life and have never had such a reaction before. Do you think the fact that I am not getting a good night's sleep may be the cause?

dstc_99

Don't know about the medications. They seem a little off for sleep but to answer your question. Hell ya! I get mean, grumpy, cry, sore, and a whole lot more when I don't sleep or don't sleep well

Scent of Cedar *

I don't know how valid this is because I have not used it myself. husband's mom has sciatica. We ordered one of those braces you see advertised on television. Theory is that the brace is constructed in such a way as to apply pressure to the energy meridian having to do with the sciatic nerve.

You apply the brace to the calf.

It worked for husband mom.

The brace was $20 plus shipping.

She said the relief was immediate.

Cedar

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Acupuncture works really well for Sciatic pain. Usually in one or two sessions, it's gone. I've had sciatica twice and both times acupuncture worked in one session. My mother had the same experience.

I agree that lack of sleep can cause a multitude of negative reactions.

I hope you find relief quickly.........

FlowerGarden

Thanks everyone for your responses. I never heard of the brace for the calf. I will look into it. I'm also going to check my insurance to see if acupuncture is covered. I really don't want to have surgery but that's what my doctor is leaning toward.

DammitJanet

Cedar...that brace works? I keep seeing it advertised and thinking if it worked then doctor's would be handing them out like candy.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I have also suffered a bout with sciatica. I go to a chiropractor regularly and he was able to help with the sciatic. He also educated me on stretching. I know if I don't stretch regularly I can feel it starting to twinge so I get right back on the stretching. You can Google stretches for sciatic. My Chiro also said walking so I use my treadmill. Which ever route you go I hope you find some relief.