Can point of view be taught? A theory-of-mind question

Malika

Yes, I realised that, trinity! But no way my son would have been able to have even pronounced those words at 2 years old...
PS I enjoyed the video!

trinityroyal

Sorry Malika. Caught by Aspie literal-mindedness:didimiss:.

As for the pronunciation, Little easy child was always able to enunciate clearly, and Tyrantina is pretty clear in her speech as well, so it never occurred to me that it was odd.
My favourite is when Tyrannosaur says, "Cinders and Ashes! You have broken my eggs!" whenever husband makes breakfast on weekend mornings.

susiestar

Roll With It
Whether it is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or not, he would benefit from role play, social stories, and you explaining the difference between Rex and other people. You can probably find a lot of ways throughout a day to reinforce this even with-o going to very formal types of role play, etc.... Often the best way to teach something is as opportunities pop up throughout regular life, Know what I mean??

If YOU have the feeling there is something going on, PLEASE get them in for some kind of evaluation. Your instincts are the BEST predictor at this age, esp as you have already had much experience with these types of problems. Back when Wiz was in k-1 grades I was on a district gifted identification committee (fed mandated that districts do this and I had the youngest gifted kid in the district or any neighboring districts so I was involved with several of them) and I learned some truly interesting things about gifted kids. Until they are in elem school, the best predictor of giftedness is the parent identification esp if the parent has had older children. Once they are in school, the predictors change.

other students the same age are correct over 80% of the time when they are asked to identify the smartest or gifted students in their classes. Parents are correct about 50% of the time and teachers are correct about 20% of the time. Parents become very competitive and can over-identify their child as gifted compared to other children once the child is in school. Teachers are mistaken primarily because they confuse obedience and good grades with giftedness. teachers identify the child who is well groomed, polite, does what they are told every time, is not disruptive, and is organized. these things are all great, but they are not signs of giftedness. Gifted kids are usually BORED and caught up in what they are interested in. they also cause trouble when bored because they look for something interesting to do - and it usually is NOT what they are supposed to do.

What does all this mean? Trust yourself and that instinct that tells you there is something different. You are the type of mom who will be right mroe than 50% of the time once the tots are in school because you value a lot more than not getting in trouble and being neat and doing what you are told. You have awesome instincts and i am sure that the right interventions and things will help Rex eventually get the point.

There is evidence that the younger you can start interventions the better the long term outcome. So while much of this is common as language is developing, there is still a reason to go ahead and start the evaluations, esp as you know the good therapist/psychiatrist and you are seeing signs of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

trinityroyal

Thanks for that info Susie. I've never heard those statistics, but it certainly fits with what I've seen anecdotally.

I will give K (difficult child's therapist) a call tomorrow morning and see if I can set up an appointment for the Monsterz.