Can this be really getting better???

buddy

so true Terry! What choice is there, really? LOL. Susie, great ideas as usual. My mind is clicking...thanks.

Calamity Jane

You were asking for filling food that Q could eat a lot of...
now I don't know if Q is a picky eater, but the following works great for husband, who is a big guy, goes to the gym, is hungry all the time, but doesn't want to get heavy:
Fiber and protein keep you full longer, so I buy these microwaveable packets of brown rice by Uncle Ben's (90 seconds in microwave), or Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) which is a high fiber grain like rice, the brand is Seeds of Change, sold in the rice section of the supermarket, also 90 seconds in microwave. I mix that with broccoli (high fiber also) and make a huge plate for him. Low calorie, but very filling. I stir fry the broccoli with-garlic and oil for a little bit, and put some grated parmesan cheese on top, mix in the rice or quinoa and that's a gigantic side dish. Whole wheat pasta with- broccoli is great with just olive oil and garlic. Spinach has more protein than steak. Rice and beans is filling and not expensive. Bananas, too.

DammitJanet

Thinking about the chart and it being too young for him. He may have some point there. Maybe you could get some of those big plastic containers at the dollar store that have lids on them and he could put his snacks in them every few days. He could put them in them every time you come home from the store for say 3 days. Each container is 1 day and he knows where the container is and he rotates his container out from its place. He knows he can go in the container and get his snacks as needed and it gives him a sense of control. He is putting his stuff in it, he is keeping up with it and he is telling you when it is empty.

InsaneCdn

Cheap and filling...

- Can you find a hot-air popper at a thrift store (if you don't have one already) - here, you can get them for $2-3 used... fresh hot plain popcorn doesn't have much for calories, keeps hands busy... and is probably easy enough for Q to learn how to do for himself. Bags of popping corn are dirt cheap.

- Original old-fashioned rolled oats. Can be made single-serving with kettle & micro, or just micro. Might be a stretch for Q to do solo but he could probably work up to it.

- The old-fashioned "cheap" veggies... like rutabuga - we like it done up same as carrot sticks. And Cabbage - we make a salad of shredded cabbage and carrots... dressing optional. Keeps at least 4 days in fridge (if not eaten before then).

- Home-made bread - Q is getting so strong, that I bet that he could really learn how to do a good job kneading...