Can you take two anti-psychotics???

mattsmum

I apologize for asking so many questions...but a lot is going on. difficult child is in inpatient facility (has been since 8/29) and they are trialing new medications.

His aggression has decreased on Olanzapine, but he is trembling and has had dystonic reaction. They are giving him something for the dystonic reaction.

He previously was on 600mg Seroquel and was much calmer when he came home for home visit.

Can they give him a combination of the two?

Linda

Sara PA

He's having a dystonic reaction to one AP and they want to treat it by adding a second antipsychotic to treat it??? Or am I misreading?

If they intend to give low doses of two APs hoping to decrease the negative effects but get the same positive effects as a high dose of one, maybe. But I wouldn't be too optimistic.

smallworld

If he did well on Seroquel, why wouldn't they just deep-six the Zyprexa and switch back to Seroquel? Or am I not understanding the situation?

FWIW, antipsychotics (APs) are pretty heavy-duty medications and they have a bad side-effect profile. Furthermore, because the atypical APs haven't been around all that long, there is no data on long-term pediatric neurodevelopment (according to our psychiatrists). So unless the child is seriously aggressive or has hallucinations, I'd try to limit exposure to APs as much as possible (which would mean that I wouldn't agree to the use of two). But that's JMHO.

mattsmum

RE: He's having a dystonic reaction to one AP and they want to treat it by adding a second antipsychotic to treat it???

No, that was my question...not their suggestion.

RE: If he did well on Seroquel, why wouldn't they just deep-six the Zyprexa and switch back to Seroquel? Or am I not understanding the situation?

The Seroquel helped his hyperactivity and impulsiveness. The Zyprexa diminishes his aggression and he has been able to stay in class while on it, but not on the Seroquel.

smallworld

While APs tend to kick in fairly quickly, they take a full month for full efficacy. Similarly, Depakote takes 6 to 8 weeks at a therapeutic level to reach full efficacy. You may have to give the medications a chance to do their thing.

mattsmum

He has been on the Depakote since June. The Zyprexa is fairly new. He was on the Seroquel for about 2 weeks before they changed him over to the Zyprexa because the Seroquel, although it helped his hyperactivity, it didn't dampen his aggression as much as they would have liked.