Canine Senior Moments?

rejectedmom

Hound, I had to put my feline fur baby "E"down three years ago. I had rescued her from the woodpile when her mother was killed. I bottle fed her and her sister and massaged them so they could potty. They were barely three weeks old when they were orphaned. I gave her sister to my dear friend and they thrived. At age 7 she had a lump on her face. At first the vet thought it was an abcessed tooth. I had her operated ont o extract the tooth but she had cancer. The vet told me that when she stopped eating it was time. Her last three weeks she spent on my lap. Then I noticed she was wimpering in her sleep. The cancer was so obviously there. The entire side of her face was swollen but she was still eating. But listening to her wimper, I decided it was time. I am sure she knew where we were going on that last car trip. Even so, she went willingly and peacefully took her last breath in my arms. I have her ashes in a little carved box in my window where she loved to sit and look out. My present kitty came to me a few weeks later and she is so much like her predecessor in personality. I will never forget my little "E" but "M" has comfortably taken over where she left off.
Tthese are such hard decisions to make. My heart goes out to you and Molly. -RM

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks you guys. You being willing to talk about it means a lot.

I feel so guilty just thinking about it. I feel like this horrid person for even considering putting her down. My brain knows better......it's my heart that isn't listening.

Star, maybe I'll try having that talk with her. At least she still smiles. Not so much anymore. But she gave me one this morning. I'll try the aspirin.

Step you may be right. Molly and Rowdy have been together their entire lives. Poor ol guy. He's moving so little his toe nails have become overgrown when I've never had to clip them in his entire life, not once. Nichole is bringing her really good clippers down when she comes and we'll have to muzzle him to get them back down to where they should be. I know that cant' be comfortable, and isn't helping his desire to move around. I think while we have that muzzle on him we'll give him a really great bath too. (last time he was more than a tad grumpy over the bath)

DammitJanet

I dont think Lady was in any great deal of pain or she would have let us know. Maybe she hid it well so she could stay with us as long as she could. She knew when her time was up. I believe Heidi did the same thing because she was sick and then she just disappeared. Now I also believe she was poisoned but I wasnt able to figure that out until after she passed.