canning with kids!

LittleDudesMom

Awww, hope little fur baby is feeling better this morning - I have to take Dieter to the vet to be clipped because he won't let me near his feet either!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I hope Abby is feeling better today. I used to have to take my German Shepherd Gryphon to the vet for his pedicures. Not because he wouldn't let me near his feet, but because his claws were so thick and hard that I didn't have the strength in my hands to clip them.

He was a good boy at the vet's other than getting on the scale. For some strange reason, that freaked him out.

DammitJanet

She seems a bit better today but she is still moping around. She didnt even get up this morning until almost 11 am! I am surprised she didnt wet the bed...lol.

I know she slept that long because I gave her the ultram. Im thankful I had some left. I did have to giggle at her earlier though because it was still wet outside when we put her out and when we went to let her back in she walked VERY slowly and carefully.

Oh you guys have got to try the Soda Pop Jelly. It is amazing. Also the Dulce de Leche. That is fantastic. The Dulce de Leche is so darned easy. All you do is get those tiny jars and fill them with condensed sweet milk. Add a pinch of salt and a tad of vanilla, stir. Put all the little jars in the crock pot for about 6/7 hours on high and then remove them. All done. There are no studies on if it is shelf stable so I would keep it in the fridge. Not a problem because the jars are small and the stuff is so good you will use it fast!

LittleDudesMom

Janet, the easiest way to make Dulce de Leche is to just take the paper label off a can of condensed sweet milk and put them in a big pot to boil for a while. You can store them in the pantry! I made some this fall for candy I was making for Christmas gifts (homemade payday bars). You don't need the additional salt or vanilla!

Sharon

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I haven't made jelly since I was a very little girl. I don't think I helped very much with the process.

Janet, canned meat is fantastic. It's as tender as can possibly be...........and you can use it for anything. There is nothing more wonderful than to grab a quart jar of meat off the pantry shelf and have dinner prepared in just a few minutes. :) I'm waiting for some good sales so I can get meat canned again.

Also.......follow the instructions for pickling........regardless of what Tony says. They're trying to protect you from getting deathly sick. You can't copy at home what big manufacturing plants can do. So, tell Tony to blow it out his ear and follow what they tell you to do. We researched a very long time before canning meat. I tend to rely on what grandmothers have done forever as opposed to other things. But still, we researched. And when it comes to canning meat we follow the instructions to the letter.

The Tightwad Gazette has become my Bible. There are no words to describe the vast wealth of knowledge in that book.

Susie, peeling tomatoes wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. Actually our tomatoes were very ripe.......and they basically peels themselves after blanching. A good thing since Aubrey and Darrin were helping. Peeling peaches......depending on ripeness, could be a pain.

DammitJanet

Sharon, I "read" online that you arent supposed to boil the cans anymore. I did that one time maybe 10 years ago making a pie. Had no idea I was making something exotic...lol. Heck maybe I got the idea here!

I love the soda pop jelly's. It is easy as all get out to make jelly if you dont use fruit...lol. And I have found another wonderful use for my crock pot. It makes the best butters. As far as Im concerned, I either have jelly or butter. I made a batch of banana/strawberry butter the other night.

I have talked to two of the manufacturers that do those huge jars of pickled eggs and no one can tell me what they do to make it safe for their eggs to sit out on the shelf for months and what home cooks can do to do the same thing. Everyone just keeps saying, hmm, good question. LOL. Maybe they arent as safe as everyone thinks they are.

I got my water bath steamer and I love it. Its so easy to use. Tony is going to get me a pressure cooker soon so we can get a lot of the frozen deer meat out of the freezer. We will need the room. We also dont have a deep freezer here so canning is a better way. I still need to get bookcases to store everything because this kitchen is simply made. Very few cabinets.

Scent of Cedar *

I was so impressed with your learning to can that I made strawberry jam: in the bread maker.

There was a recipe in the breadmaker book, so I tried it.

Though I did not use pectin, the jam is delicious. I never had to stir it once, and the mess was contained in the bread machine, which was easy to clean up.

It took one hour, start to finish. All I had to do was put the strawberries and sugar in the bread machine.

After watching a friend make a huge pot of jam for canning, making the mess free strawberry jam myself and then, reading your canning saga Janet, I am going to get some jars and give canning things a shot.

I have a pressure cooker, too. It has been sitting out in the garage for years and years, because I have been afraid to use it. I will cook something in it soon and report back. They say pressure cooking makes meat super tender, and cuts cooking time by half.

Fun thread!

Cedar

DammitJanet

Oh Cedar, lucky you with the pressure cooker! If you want a really cheap piece of meat that will turn into something so tender and delicious, go for a brisket. Not just the corned brisket but the regular one. If you do it the regular way either on the stove or in the oven it takes hours upon hours to get tender. In a pressure cooker its so quick. And brisket is a very tasty piece of meat once its tender.

I have no idea how you get back "up north or down south" when you go but if by chance you go through NC, I will give you some venison which will be really good in the pressure cooker.
If you want my Raspberry Cocoa Jam recipe just ask or google it. It is wonderful and makes a great ice cream topping. I also make a ton of things in my slow cooker. That makes things easier for me. If you dont want to do the entire water bath thing with jam, do freezer jam. You get the freezer jam pectin and put it in freezer jars or plastic containers and it is so good. I did those the year before last and it was great. I am trying to avoid the freezer this year because all we have is the small one above the fridge here.

Scent of Cedar *

Janet, you are so kind to offer!

That just bowls me over, that you would offer to do that for us. We go through Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida when we go South. So, nowhere near the Carolinas.
I still can't get over it, that you would be so kind as to share your things with us.

:O)

Cedar

DammitJanet

Well darn, I was hoping to meet you one day!

Hey, arent we all nice folks on here? I have had several people on this board do some very nice things for me and offering a little venison is nothing. I love to let people try it. So many folks say they dont like it because it tastes "gamey" but Tony has a special touch with the stuff and it is so good. He soaks it in ice for days to get all the icky flavor out. As far as we are concerned it is better than beef!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet I'm so glad your canning is such a success! :) It's such a healthier way to eat...........and lord knows it tastes so much better.

I'm a bit more than miffed at the dogs. Yesterday morning they managed to get into the garden and rip out 3 of my 4 rows of green bean plants. Ok, so they didn't totally rip them out but they did shred them of both leaves and baby green beans. I dunno if they'll come back from that trauma or not. :( Those were going to be my canning green beans darn it. Cost to me was just the seeds......like a buck maybe because most were seeds I took from my plants last year........and there would have been probably a bushel of green beans to can. *sob* There is nothing on the planet like home canned green beans, especially if you include the bacon.

I'm still having to hold off on doing anything due to mom coming. It is about to drive me nuts. omg But there is just too much other things to do and I can't do both at the same time.

DammitJanet

I know how that goes. My tiny little garden really didnt produce enough for me to even think about canning. I do have more tomatoes than I can eat but not enough to can...lol. Next week Tony is supposed to go to one of his friends homes and he grows a huge garden and he will give us a bunch of tomatoes and peppers for me to can.

I have told Tony he cant start deer hunting this year until I have the pressure cooker so I can put up the meat from last year. We simply dont have the space. I wish I could can fish but from what I have read it isnt a real good idea. Or more to the point, I dont think we would like it after it was canned...lol.

I actually havent made anymore of my jelly's or jam's since I last posted because I have been busy with my other DIY projects. I am thinking of starting a small business selling homemade laundry soap, homemade fabric softener and a few other things. As soon as I can find an old, used crock pot I am going to start making soaps. I really want to try to sell most of this stuff locally though because eBay just eats up the profits. If I do sell any through eBay I will just sell samples and then include my business card for future orders.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, I just finished listing (and thankfully selling) a number of name-brand leather handbags for my sister and myself on eBay. I was shocked at the fees they now take! How the heck do they justify taking a fee on my shipping costs? Used to be that eBay fees were cheaper than Paypal, but now they are at least double, and in the case of one handbag, triple! Now I know why my daughter does most of her vintage selling on Instagram!!

DammitJanet

I have lost money several times on things...especially since I moved and lost access to Billy's printer. We tried bringing the printer over here but for some reason it isnt working with my laptop. I dont get it. Maybe it broke on the ride over. Tony is buying me a new one this coming weekend because we found some very cheap ones at Walmart. Not wireless but that' okay. Heck in today's world its practically cheaper to buy a cheap new printer than it is to buy new ink!

I have been selling some little things like cable ties and a little six inch tripod. I just sold those two things this weekend. Total sale price of 13.00. Mailing cost me 7. Fees will be around 3 bucks. That means I made 3 bucks on the whole deal. Hardly worth the gas it took to get to the post office.

LittleDudesMom

I never do free shipping unless I honestly add the actual cost into the price of the item. Those darn fees are too much! Makes me want to try and sell through other avenues.