Can't believe I'm on crutches!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Yep! I walked all day long on a field trip with my students. Tonight I had a 6:30 appointment with the sports medication doctor about my foot. I have been having pain on the top of my foot for 3 months. A few weeks ago when I was at my doctor's for something else I mentioned the pain in my foot. He x-rayed it and had me see the sports medication doctor.

X-rays showed nothing but sports doctor wanted me to have a bone scan on my foot. Went tonight to get the results. It's a stress fracture. He said he wants me on crutches for 2 weeks, then 1 week crutches but I can put some pressure on the foot, then 1 week using the crutches every other day and then 1 week with-no crutches and I go back to see him.

Of course, this means NO boot camp which I'm not happy about but I figured at least I could bike-NOPE~ He said I can do upper body weights and swimming. Swimming is just not something I'm likely to do on a regular basis.

While I'm glad I know what is wrong with my foot not exercising is going to be a challenge. It is a huge stress release for me that is now gone for awhile. Not to mention, I will probably start gaining weight!!

O.k. enough of my pity party!

cubsgirl

WO--

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your foot but glad that they figured out what was wrong.

I had an ankle injury that required surgery and crutches for first two weeks. I found that using the crutches gave me exercise on its own. I was so glad when I was able to get rid of them - they wore me out!!

Sending you good thoughts and healing vibes!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ouch.

I guess wearing the huge space boot wouldn't work huh?

Although myself, I'd rather have the crutches. I got rather skilled with them........however going up and down stairs was a pita. Ok up was a pita, down I just slid on my fanny.

Swimming is an awesome work out by the way.

Hope it heals quickly.

Hugs

Mattsmom277

Oh that hoovers! I had the space moon boot a few years back, got it after 2 days on crutches and wanted to burn the crutches by that time. Crutches are cumbersome! Sorry you have to change routine for a bit so you heal. Glad you got it figured out though, walking around on a stress fracture can't have been good. Heal quickly!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I'm not doing well with the crutches-it really hurts under my arms; for whatever, reason that area was already sore and now this! I may end up calling to see if there are any alternatives! Oh well, good thing it's not broken and I don't have to use them for longer than I do.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Um........

Silly thing about crutches..........they're supposed to be adjusted so that the top part that "appears" like it should rest in your arm pit is actually 3 finger width below the armpit. You should only use that part of the crutch to occasionally rest on. That might help some. They actually hurt the palms of my hands more, but I folded and fastened a dish towel on each handle and it helped.

flutterby

Fly away!
I've seen people fold towels around the tops of crutches. If they aren't adjusted right, they do hurt. I had the hardest time with my cane until my RN BFF from NY came to visit and helped me adjust it properly.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa-Lol-I think I was using them wrong!! Thanks for letting me know!

Heather-I have towels in both places. Now that I'm using them more correctly it still hurts a bit but the towels help.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They do have another style of crutch that doesn't go as far up under your arms.
An then there's always the walker (tho I hate hate HATED the walker...tho I only had one hand to use it with...)
Hope your feeling better soon!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wiped out, I posted in the morning thread about how husband worked around crutches. Use a wheelchair but turn it around and put knee of affected leg in chair and use chair as a chariot. Push off with good leg. It really helped him get around in the office building. He is a big guy and tends to be pretty high energy. The crutches were just making him crazy. He seldom used them.

M

ML

DO what you can.. arm weights is better than nothing.. just think how buff you will look in your summer sleeveless blouses! You won't gain weight.. just be extra careful and find something else you can use on a temporary basis. Can you to situps? Healing prayers for speedy recovery.

DDD

Geez.......that sounds like forever, doesn't it? I'm glad the problem is identified and hope you find a new mind saving activity.
Hugs. DDD