Can't Wrap My Head Around This

muttmeister

just look up Eden Wood. [/QUOTE

I don't watch these shows but I did see Eden Wood on The View the other day. I swear I thought I was watching a freak show. I felt so sorry for that poor child...give me a good old difficult child anyday!

It is no different than spending time and money playing sports, going to camp, teaching them chess, taking acting classes, or any other hobby a child wants to do as they grow up.

I'm sorry - I definitly disagree. If they are playing sports, they are developing their bodies and, hopefully, some healthy habits. Going to camp? Learning some fun skills and crafts. Teaching them chess? Developing their barains. Taking acting classes? developing an actual skill (as opposed to teaching them to expect people to fall all over them because they are "cute."

Yes, it is a free country and if people want to do that to their kids, they certainly have the right, but I definitely feel sorry for those kids. Learning to rely on you looks and your charm is not a skill that will get anybody very far in today's world.

InsaneCdn

Learning to rely on you looks and your charm is not a skill that will get anybody very far in today's world
Unfortuntely, with the way society in general is going, perhaps in the next generation that will be the only skill that matters.

flutterby

Fly away!
It's an important skill already - and not just in Hollywood. An attractive person interviewing for a position is more likely to get it than one not so attractive. That study is at least 10 years old.

muttmeister

While it may be true that looks may get your foot in the door, if you don't have the skills to back it up,in most jobs you'll soon find yourself on the street again.

I don't believe you should go places looking like a sick dog. I dye my hair, use makeup, watch my weight, try to dress appropriately, etc. I tried to teach my kids to comb their hair, brush their teeth, wear clean clothes, and go looking like they were aware that they might be judged by how they looked to some extent. But I would much rather use my time, effort, and money to develop my kids' skills and intelligence than teach them to spend their time obsessing about their looks and developing the idea that looks matter more than substance. In a world where most kids (girls especially) are insecure about their looks, we have epidemics of both anorexia and obesity, good role models are hard to find, and the media have gone nuts, it is up to thinking adults to try to steer kids in the direction of giving them something to feel good about besides the superficialities.

InsaneCdn

While it may be true that looks may get your foot in the door, if you don't have the skills to back it up,in most jobs you'll soon find yourself on the street again.

Sort of. husband has been looking for a new job for quite some time. We keep seeing the same companies advertising the same positions... the ads come up every 6-10 weeks, far enough apart to know that they are in fact hiring... and then having to re-hire, and repeat. We KNOW some of these companies (he used to work for one of them). They will not hire anybody without looks and charm and wow-factor (so, husband doesn't get in). But... the kind of people they insist on hiring does not have the skill-set needed for the job. And the companies WILL NOT change their hiring policies to match reality. The HR managers are usually young (under 30), and believe very strongly that image is reality. I don't know where this is all going to end up, but I do know that GOOD people are being forced out of the job market, and the "junk" staff are getting the jobs.

flutterby

Fly away!
Actually the study showed that people with similar education and experience, the more attractive one will get the job even if the other one is slightly more qualified. It wasn't a "companies don't hire ugly people, period" kind of thing.

Looks have been important always. Do I agree with it? No. Does it bother me that we can't have a female entertainer who isn't starving herself to fit Hollywood's ideals, or that doesn't show everything off in every video and performance? Absolutely. Especially because that same standard isn't applied to men. My point was, that looks are so important in our society is nothing new.

DammitJanet

Ok, do remember the name of this show is TODDLERS AND TIARAS but I will still answer some of the criticisms leveled at it. These girls arent just being judged for their looks. They are also being judged on their stage presence. Whether they remember routine. If they have a talent, they are being judged on how well they do their talent. They are being judged on how much fun they look like are having on the stage. No matter how pretty a girl is, if she looks like she is just miserable up there, she isnt going to win. They judge on most photogenic and prettiest smile.

These kids are developing huge social skills. I really want to know how many other places teach 2 and 3 year olds how to walk and present themselves to a room full of people and smile while doing it and blow kisses. Then go get changed at least once or twice...sometimes 3 times...to do skits on that stage...at that age...all by themselves! Friendships are made that last even though the girls only see each other at two or three pageants a year. They hear about each other if they are on the same circuit.

They feel so good about themselves.

That Eden Wood, she started very young and she has retired this year at the age of 6. She has already written a book and has a singing contract signed. She has one song out and is due to tour the mid-west the last I heard. If any of you see her, get me a autograph...lol.

Oh I and I realized I forgot to mention something someone mentioned about the clothes being sold at the stores with hipster jeans and bell bottoms or something like that.

Ummm..... How does that relate to pageants at all? If you have ever seen the the kids walking in to the hotels? They are in just as normal clothes as any kids. In fact, normally they pass out tee shirts for them with the pageant names that they wear with either leggings or jeans.

Yeah they do make teenage clothes for toddlers. Cory gets mad at me if I let too much leg show on Keyana. I dont dress her badly. I always dress her very well and he can deal with it. He thinks she needs to be a nun...lol. At the tots ages, they were dressed adorably. Like as close to a perfectly dressed child could be. I dressed her up in pink lace and frills. She never left my house but she wasnt matching head to toe. Now she wants to be more along the lines of dressing herself. She has tastes. She likes things. She still likes her jeans or shorts but she also wants certain tee shirts and depending on the day it could be Justin B or Disney. No I wont allow belly shirts or things like that but she does have tank tops.

None of the clothes these kids wear on these shows do they wear at home...trust me...not for those prices.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I am very sure that no parent involves their child in pageants to hurt them. Few parents would devote the amt of time and money to a child's activity if they thought it would hurt the child. I have no idea who Eden Wood is, and I think I maybe caught part of an episode of this show a couple of years back when I dozed off with the tv on at my inlaws and woke up iwth this show on. I thought I was in some bizarre dream because the things they show kids doing was so far out of my world. I am the girl who as a child cut the ruffles off of those horrible itchy underpants with the ruffles sewn on them and would flat out refuse to leave the house if anything itched. Luckily for me, my mother had a childhood of being dressed in itchy clothes by her elderly relatives who were trying to stand in for her mom after her mom died. So she swore, as a kid and again when she became a mom, that we would NEVER wear itchy clothes. I don't know if I would have actually survived childhood if I had been forced to wear itchy clothing - it is such a sensory problem for me that I cannot cope with even good/fun things and it has been that way all my life. It sure ruled my clothing choices and the choice of what my kids wore. Given that, I have no clue what I would have done iwth a child who wanted to be in pageants and wear those clothes. Other than have my mother sew the clothes (she is amazing with clothes and can design and sew the most wonderful things), I have no idea how I would have coped/

As it was, I had a really hard time with other things my kids wanted to do because my own aspie traits got in the way - esp with soccer. I have NO idea why the kids liked that, why husband liked helping/watching. I found/find it mind numbingly boring although I went to games and cheered and made snacks and team ponytail holders and even little flags for the parents to wave (felt glued onto pencils or short pieces of dowel rods). If Jess was not dealing with healht stuff i would still be going.

So if a kid truly likes this, well, I guess it could be worse. they oculd be watching tv all day or eating all day or be beaten all day. I hope that those who are in pageants are in it more for their own fun than because a parent pushes them. Having had 2 pcs and 1 difficult child, none of which could have been forced into pageants even if we had wanted it, I do know that if a child really does not want to do it then they just won't or will make the parent so totally miserable that it isn't even funny.

I just have a real problem with dressing a little kid like a *****. I don't care why it is done, or how tasteful the later outfit is. It is inexcusable. Out of ALL the images on films in the last few decades, WHY did the parent choose to dress a child like a ***** at any time? I don't want my kids to be whores and I sure as sugar will NOT ever set a ***** up as a role model in any way except as a what not to do type model. THAT, yeah, I have a problem with. Julia Roberts has had a LOT of roles, why not do one of them, or Sandra Bullocks role in Miss Congeniality? I can think of a dozen characters that would be vastly more appropriate.

My problem is NOT with putting the girl in a pageant, it is with dressing a kid like a ***** and then having everyone who KNOWS it is dressing her like a ***** applaud her. I thought that there was supposed to be some element of taste and appropriateness in most pageants. It doesn't really matter that the clothes were not revealing, it is that they were modeled after a *****. The pageants in our town are not something I know a lot about on any in-depth way, but I do know some of the people involved and there is NO WAY that the little girl would have been permitted to be on stage in an outfit modeled after a *****. They have to have appropriate characters to model after and the rules for appropriate include not any position that violates the law and also a couple of toher things I know this would violate.

As for fake boobs on a Dolly Parton dress, in my opinion that is a bit different. Dolly is an appropriate role model - she came from less than nothing, worked dang hard to get where she is and works dang hard to give back as much as she can. She is a woman that ALL of our daughter's should respect. Yes, her chest is rather strangely large using the standard of MY tastes, but it works for her. I know a LOT of little girls who play dress up and shove all manner of things into their shirts to look grown up. I had friends who did it when I was a kid. I don't know that doing it in a pageant is the greatest choice for a little kid, but I can easily see a little kid wanting to do it and even asking to do it. But Dolly is a very long way from being a bad role model OR a *****. So in my opinion that is different.

I do, at least a few times a year, thank my lucky stars that Jess never had any interest in pageants even when we knew a couple of girls her age who did. I would vastly prefer to be bored at a soccer game or practice than at a pageant. But if Jess had set her heart on it, we most likely would have tried it. So I am NOT throwing stones at pageants in general and that was NOT EVER my intention with this thread. My intention was a sheer O. M. G. have these people totally lost their minds and all sense of what is appropriate for a child to use as a role model!!!!!

Janet - I am glad that Keyana enjoys the things she likes. Having a daddy who wants her dressed like a nun after his own wild times will temper her and MacKenzie's exposure and ability to fall under the influence of inappropriate role models, and they will keep him in the real world. NOTHING like a daughter to make a daddy live in the real world, lol.

I DO have problems with sexualized clothing for little girls. I find it stupid, unneccessary and makes kids too much of a target for those who want to hurt them. Yes, evein thinking of a child as sexy is sick and disgusting - but then again, dressing a child as a **** sort of puts them out htere like that. So who is sickest? The person who is attracted to them or the person who dressed them/allowed them to dress that way? I am in NO way saying that responsibility for pedophilia be lessened on the offenders, but that parents need to use some sense also.

I object loudly to those low rise pants for little girls for more than just that they are too sexualized. Actually, that is a hugely minor objection in my world. I see the kids at school in those pants and they go about their day with one hand doing what they need to do and the other holding up their pants. WTH is wrong that a kid can't even have both hands free because her pants won't stay up?

While I am appalled at the adults who think these things are good ideas, I do NOT, in any way, shape or form, criticize the kids. The kids are NOT responsible.

I will say that pageants are a way for girls to start getting $$ for college. It is why my friend got in, and with-o it she wouldn't have been able to pay for college.

flutterby

Fly away!
Damn, Susie. I'm the one with the potty mouth and the attitude, but you used the word wh*re 9 times in that last post - and when talking about a child. I find that very offensive. I also find the reference to people smoking crack in your first post offensive, just because they laughed at something you don't agree with, you weren't there for, and that was taken out of context.

trinityroyal

Oh I and I realized I forgot to mention something someone mentioned about the clothes being sold at the stores with hipster jeans and bell bottoms or something like that.

Ummm..... How does that relate to pageants at all? If you have ever seen the the kids walking in to the hotels? They are in just as normal clothes as any kids. In fact, normally they pass out tee shirts for them with the pageant names that they wear with either leggings or jeans.

Janet, I mentioned the inappropriate toddler clothes. Not to relate them to pageants, but to express my broader concern that society seems to not want to let little girls just be little girls. They want them to be mini-me models of adults.

As I said before, I don't really have a problem with pageants. I see little difference between them and all the dance competitions and recitals I participated in as a tiny tot. And I'm glad to hear that off the stage the children seem to be leading a normal existence.

Trinity

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have an outlook on this that's slightly different.

The pageants themselves... If the child is allowed to dress like a child, NOT caked with makeup, and they're based on stuff other than looks, I'm happy with them... But not for my kids.

In 2005 bio put O in a pageant - she was age 10. Spent a TON of money on a fancy dress, hair, makeup, etc. The dress was too grown-up for a 10-y/o, but not too too bad.

However... O did not have a good time. The stuff I saw on their website showed what they would rank the girls on - and "proper use of makeup" was one of the items for the group ages 3-5. HUH? When I was 5, I got into Mom's makeup and looked like a clown.

Other stuff was fairly reasonable, as I remember... But when I heard about it from O... Let's just say one of them made fun of O the entire weekend because O's dress only cost $350. (Which, to me, is too much anyway.) And she had "funny teeth". And she had a "flat face". OK let me be honest here, you that have seen pics of O know she's gorgeous...

I just cannot see a 2-y/o knowing that they "want" to do this. Play dress up? OK. One pageant at age 3-4, see what they think? OK. I have however seen kids who are forced to do these things year after year. (Bio wanted to do it again the next year... O told us no... We said no... Bio signed her up anyway... O refused to go.)

muttmeister

I guess I come at this as somebody who raised two rough and tumble boys and who was, herself, a tomboy and if anybody had tried to put me in a beauty pageant at that age I would have ended up with a torn dress and mud on my makeup before I ever got there.

I suppose if a child (not a parent) really wants to give it a try and the parent is OK with it, it is up to them and I don't mean to be critical because I did plenty of things with my kids when they were growing up that some people didn't approve of either. You have to do what is right for you and your child.

But when I see somebody like this Eden person on TV, the only think I can think of is "freak!" There is a huge difference between a "cute baby" contest and dressing your kid up in a thousand dollar outfit and caking her face with makeup. I know of contests where the kids don't do that and I am OK with those but all of the little girls I have seen on TV (and I admit it's not very many because I don't watch those shows) look like mini Los Vegas showgirls. I know the parents of these kids have their kids best interests at heart and I suppose I'm being narrow minded by not saying, yeah, OK, fine, it is a good idea, but I just can't get my mind there.

We all know there is discrimination in this world and we all know that we are judged to a certain extent on our appearance but I find it hard to believe that a reasonable response to this is to take two and three year olds and teach them that the way to cope is to learn to wear fake hair, fake face, outlandish clothes, and shake your booty in people's faces to make them think you are cute.

When Eden whoever-she-is appeared on The View they interviewed her and her mother and she did a routine with a song. The mother had all of the standard responses and I'm sure she loves her daughter but I just couldn't help thinking that she was doing her kid a disservice. The child certainly did not come off as the brightest bulb on the stiring, but that may be because she was taught to answer these questions in such a phony manner. And the routine and song and dance were, to me, actually embarrassing. It was like watching a train wreck. I could only think how much better off she'd be if they'd spent their money on library cards and books and educational toys. But that's just me I guess.

donna723

I admit to sometimes watching the show and at times it is a bit like watching a train wreck - you just can't look away even if you want to. I wouldn't condemn all pageants though just because of what you see here. It's TELEVISION, and to keep it "interesting" they seem to zero in on the most outrageous, over-the-top parents and some of the brattiest, most obnoxious children. Like the mother who lets her horrid three year old push her around, call her names and scream at her and then smiles and calls that "personality" and thinks she will magically grow out of it when she's older! NOT! Or the wealthy woman who has a whole room full of thousand dollar pageant outfits for her infant twin daughters, one that's not even walking yet. Or the ones who push the child to the point of exhaustion and then give them a dozen Pixie Stix so they will be on a sugar high when they go on stage. Or the mother with two daughters who made it well known to everyone, including the children, that she considered one of them to be much prettier and much more talented than the other one. Or the woman who trotted her sleeping eleven day old son across the stage in a little newborn size tuxedo that she had ordered long before he was born, then was gushing about how well he did and what a natural he was!

But this is TELEVISION! It's a bit like watching Jerry Springer. They're going for the ratings. They seem to catch both the parents and the children at their very worst because that's what gets your interest, that's what gets people talking, and some of those parents don't seem to realize that they're doing that or how bad they're making some of them look. But that doesn't mean that all children who do pageants or their parents are that way. The majority of them are not. If the child's whole life and sense of self-worth is not centered around pageants, if they're not bankrupting the family with entry fees and pageant clothes, if the child really enjoys participating in pageants and it's just an occasional thing they like doing as part of a well rounded childhood, if they don't grow up thinking that their whole value as a person depends on how pretty they are and how many crowns they win, and if they don't grow up to be an obnoxious, self-centered little diva, then I have no problem with it. Everything is best in moderation.

And Mutt, I agree. I can't help thinking, with some of these people who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on pageants, how much better off would the child ultimately be if they put all that money into a college fund instead of spending it on fancy dresses, fake hair and teeth, spray tans and pageant coaches!

DammitJanet

Donna you are right that the camera's catch the strange moments and they also follow only the participants who have allowed them to follow them. Obviously the ones who are expected to win some higher titles. If you ever notice at the beginning the pageant directors will know the backgrounds on each girl as they walk in the doors. So and So is a cute 18 month old who has done X amount of pageants and has so much personality and is now moving up from the infant division to the 1-2 division...we should really expect her to do well this time!

That sort of thing.

I am always amazed at how well the kids can sit still myself. Actually, the kids at the pageants we attend are better behaved but thats neither here nor there. They do use candy though. You simply cannot keep small kids going for that long without some sort of something. Lots of people use a combo of energy drinks/soda and fruit juice. You need that kid to shine on stage.

Eden Wood...I dont know whats going to happen with her. I know her mom has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on her. Im glad she retired from the pageant world because she was taking all the pageants because her parents had more money than most parents and she was such a celebrity that most of the other girls couldnt compete with her name. Im expecting she will end up with small parts in disney movies or something like that. There is another little girl named either Madison or Mackenzie that is the same age as Eden and went to Hollywood with her and an agent met with her and really thought she had acting talent. I havent seen her on the pageant scene since then. Who knows.

But...I guess Im awful because I watch both Toddlers and that dance show. Plus there is a new one coming on that is like the voice but for kids. Im watching it too. And I dont smoke crack.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet... LOL you're not awful for watching!

A lot of people like Survivor, Teen Mom, America's Next Top Model... Just because I don't think reality TV is reality doesn't make those who watch horrible people. Just people who like to be entertained. I used to like sitcoms, such as the Cosby Show and Family Ties... OK, shows my age...

Of course... I don't watch much TV at all...

DammitJanet

People always say they will never be one of those crazy pageant moms until...they have a baby and decide to do that first cute baby contest at the local mall and win.

People say they will never put their kids in the dance classes and push them into things like the Dance Mom dance companies until the little darlings start showing real talent after the first few years of tap and ballet...then you do.

People say they will never spend a ton of time and money on sports camps and athletic equipment and coaches until they find out their child actually shows talent that might land them scholarships to college.

People say they will never pay for music lessons in excess or push their kids to practice excessively until they find out they have a prodigy.

People swear that they will never medicate their child...until they find out they have a difficult child.

InsaneCdn

Step -

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... as in, absolutely ZERO TV.

And I'd have to say that Janet is: (and you can quote me on this) "No worse than anyone else spending time and/or money on the entertainment industry, including professional sports and big-name music."

In other words... no, it doesn't make HER a bad person.

I don't have to agree with how you spend your time, to appreciate your experience as a parent on this board!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have to agree with the medication issue... Used to be 100% anti-medications.

Bio pushed the kids into sports. We gave them the choice. J was a fantastic blocker in football - but he hated it. So? No more football.

Insane... I only watch TV when husband has it on, or on Netflix for re-runs of the X Files...

DDD

LOL, Janet. That little McKenzie is the personification of a darling difficult child. Whoa..when she loses it she by golly loses it. I'm "almost" completely non-violent by nature but on a couple of occasions when I watched her pitch a fit I thought "that girl needs an old fashioned attitude adjustment"! Eden's Mom reminds me of stage Moms from the l940/1950 era. I had to LOL when I saw her last appearance because that was the one and only time I saw her pitch a fit. Yikes. DDD