Care to cross fingers for husband and me? We're trying to cut back or stop smoking!

DDD

My personal plan was to diet to 135 and then try to quit smoking. Shock of all shocks husband announced yesterday "I have decided to quit smoking my cigars. I may be grumpty etc. but I'm ready to try!" Geez, that man rarely communicates and this was the last thing I expected to hear from his mouth..lol.

SO...I decided to "join in"...even though I'm not really psyched into it at this time. I think husband survived all day with-o a cigar. Yeah, husband. I have only smoked five so far today which is a big improvement. I'm using a new method. I'm making myself drink a full glass of water for each cigarette smoked. I don't like water but know it is good for me, lol. I removed all the ashtrays from the inside of our house and from the offices in our store. Any smoking (by me) is taking place in our warehouse at work or in the garage at home.

Obviously, we both know it is unhealthy and expensive. I'm not sure whether either of us can be successful in the effort but do cross fingers for us. The agony of defeat is not something either of us like...but...it may happen. DDD

H

HaoZi

Good luck! Down to 5 a day is great progress, I have that many for breakfast. Yeah, I need to whittle down to quitting, too.

Jena

wow good for you! 5's an awesome start. yet remember if you have a bad day it's ok, there will be bumps........... it's a chemical and your weaning down. ummm spoken from failed experience :)

hope it turns out how you want it! you are very determined person so i'm sure you'll nail it.

tiredmommy

D3- I know you can do this. How do I know this? Because I did it. Do whatever it takes to succeed: the patch, nicorette or cymbalta; drink water; exercise; snap a rubberband on your wrist; call a smoker's quit line.

You can do it! :cheerleader:

DDD

Lol, it may be ten tomorrow. I'm not really "psyched" in advance so I'm kinda winging it to support husband. Obviously, I know what a yucky habit it is etc. etc. I quit twelve years ago and then fell off the wagon eighteen months ago. I do love smoking. Sick...but true. But who knows, maybe doing it out of the blue will work. I hope so. Thanks. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
3D don't be too disappointed if you have more issues than expected........having not had a chance to prepare yourself mentally.

But I know what you mean. husband and I are trying to cut back too......maybe it will lead to quitting, maybe not. Even cutting back as much as either of us can will cut the expense down.

My method to help........when I want one I go find something to do like clean or whatever. I'm trying not to give in until I can't stand it. I'm not down to 5 yet, but it's better.

Just keep trying. Every little bit helps. I'm hoping that like with school I'll just get used to it after a bit and it won't bother me so much.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm crossed up like the Vatican! And praying about as much (I lack the masses, but I'm there with you in faith)

DF tried Chantix three times before it stuck - and this time he's been cigar, pipe, cigarette and even snuff free for a year. It still draws a curdle up my spine when I hear him say 'Boy does THAT cigarette smell good, or when did you say these things will stink?' but I'm happy still that he's stopped.

Best of Health to you both! You thin sexy thing you!

DDD

Actually :cheers: I think I may have a case of Superwoman complex. Who to heck diets and then gives up smoking at the same time?? Thank heavens, Cutty is not on the kick list! I'll update next week......if I haven't gone over the edge. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Cuttysark - is NOT anything that can be given up -------rather...-it is "maintained" lol.

Like Captain Jack says "Why is the Rum always gone?" -

You go sexy, Superwoman, Momma of Ace the non-flea havin' bionic wonder dog! And when you fly that invisible jet over SC - lasso me - I've never been para-sailing. I'll try anything once - twice if I like it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You can do it... In January I was smoking 2+ packs a day... Chantix helped a lot... Then I fell back off the wagon after I cut down the Chantix because it made me nauseous & anxiety was sky-high... And funny thing? It's a boredom thing for me. If I am busy, I don't even think about it.

Weird thing? When husband smokes? It smells HORRIBLE. I hate it. My office-mate smokes too. Ugh, I hate it. But darn it, when I think about certain things - there it is again.

But I can't. Tomorrow I HAVE TO GIVE IT UP. I've put too much into this to screw it up over one cigarette.

And you can definitely do it. I don't like water, either. I just keep busy... Weird, I used to smoke even when doing dishes...

I just realized... I have lost track of how long it has been since I had a cigarette.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Weird, I used to smoke even when doing dishes...

That one I can honestly say I have not done. :rofl:

I did nix smoking in the bedroom many years ago........which also nixed me waking up in the middle of the night wanting a smoke.

I don't care much for smoking while in a car either. I'll do it, but the desire is not there often.

Talking on the phone? Oh yeah, that one will get me every time. After meals.......yup that too and with morning coffee.

I used to chain smoke (literally, I'd have a fogged up room) when I drew or painted ect. When I took those art classes a couple years ago.........I nearly died at the thought of not smoking while being creative. It literally drove me nuts because I used to draw/pain/whatever with a cig in one hand and the pencil in the other. After the 2nd week it didn't bother me so much. Four weeks in I could do the whole class (3-4 hrs long) with one smoke break......and sometimes I forgot to do that. And honestly? I discovered I was much more focused on the art that way. So even here at home........I avoid smoking while doing it.

Once my walls are washed it's outside smoking only. Which will dramatically drop the amount we smoke. husband hates the outdoors.............and oddly enough I really don't like to smoke outside, I can always find something else to do. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I used to chain smoke (literally, I'd have a fogged up room) when I drew or painted ect.

Yup, that's me. My creative stuff. I made foamie-flowers, drew on the computer or graph paper, did all kinds of stuff like that with a cigarette in one hand.

Showering, too.

But now? I sew - which is INSIDE. We haven't smoked inside from day one.

DDD

OMG..........you smoke in the shower??????? I can't believe that! I can believe in the bathtub with bubbles and champagne but.....in the shower????????? I wouldn't even know how to do that, lol. DDD

H

HaoZi

Wow, in the shower? Bath yeah, I do that. Even smoked during the deed, but a shower? THAT takes talent to not screw up.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I don't smoke in the shower NOW, but I used to. Seriously. Light it up before, balance it on the shower caddy. Easy.

I was pretty far gone!!!

As for during the deed - THAT takes TALENT...

Estherfromjerusalem

DDD, just saw this. I wanted to wish you the best of luck, and a lot of strength. I hope you succeed.

I used to smoke three packs a day years ago. Today I'm down to about 10 or 12 cigarettes a day, which I know is still too much with all my health issues, but is certainly better than before. No smoking in the house -- only outside on the porch or in the street, which doesn't leave me much scope, thank heavens, because otherwise I would be smoking all the time.

All the best to you both. Love, Esther