Care to milk a Camel anyone?

rlsnights

Camel milk came up as a possible natural treatment on another board I visit and I just had to share this link with everyone here too.

So, hitch up yer britches for a cyber trip to the Oasis Camel Dairy in Sunny Southern California. (I can hear you all thinking "Only in California...Land of the Kooks". One day you will regret mocking us - Bwahahahahaha - evil laughter echoing in the stairwell.)

Really, they milk camels, by hand no less. You can rent-a-camel (handy for those little day trips to Palm Springs dear), buy camel milk soap (the perfect gift for that someone in your life who has everything hm?), spend the day camel racing (geldings only need apply), and just in general luxuriate in all things camel.

And as if that weren't enough, the owners of the Oasis Camel Dairy do Turkey Stampedes and Wild Bird Shows in their spare time.

After all you can't spend every minute of the day milking your camels can you?

http://www.cameldairy.com/CAMEL_MILK.html

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Very interesting. I can see possibilities. But I personally would have issues drinking unpasturized milk of any sort. Also could see a big.cost issue.......not sure I'd want to "share" a camel with someone else. lol

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Very cool! And not all that far from us. We could make a long weekend of it, or a early-rising day trip. Don't know if I could get any of my family to try the milk, but it would be fun to go see their farm.

Thanks for posting :) I'm always amazed at the wonders in my own backyard, so to speak!

KTMom91

I'd be interested in seeing the camels...and seeing someone else milk them...however...

I may live in a cow town, but I'm a city girl at heart.

trinityroyal

Mary, I'm right there with you. Complete city girl.

Milk comes from the store. In a neat little carton that fits nicely on the top shelf of the fridge. Meat also comes from the store, in clever little foam trays wrapped in cling film.

Milking ANYTHING is just way beyond my frame of reference.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think it is fascinating. We really are the only species that drinks breast milk after we are weaned. Just because it comes from cows doesn't mean it isn't breast milk.

Camel milk, goat milk, and milk from many other animals offers many things we need. I think it would be interesting to try, though I would insist on having it be pasteurized.

Right now my bro is getting unpasteurized milk from a guy he knows. Straight from the cow, as he calls it. It is illegal to give it away or sell it unpasteurized because you can get all kinds of nasty diseases including brucelosis (sp?). I got a rather heated lecture on that from a friend's husband when I asked him if he knew of a source to get fresh cream for a recipe. What I wanted was non-homogenized, not unpasteurized, but I confused the two. B

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just out of curiosity - by show of hands.....how many of you glanced up to the right of the page to see if rsl was from Cali?

I did.....snort.....

If this is as much fun as washing an elephant, or feeding a tiger or brushing a bat - I'm IN! Definitely!!! IN.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just out of curiosity - by show of hands.....how many of you glanced up to the right of the page to see if rsl was from Cali?

I did.....snort.....

Yes, she IS one of our resident KOOKS... but we love her anyway! :teethy:

So Star, does this give you any ideas about donkeys...?