Casey Anthony Acquitted!!!

M

mrsammler

Simply incredible. She is SO obviously guilty. A sociopath who killed her daughter--and she walks. I'm dumbfounded. WTF was the jury thinking???

N

Nomad

You took the words out of my mouth.
OJ #2
Check out the other thread.
I am concerned about our justice system....jury trials??? Humpf.

M

mrsammler

I was the foreman of 2 juries, one a trivial lawsuit and the other a notorious murder trial in Akron where there was possible reasonable doubt but where the murderer was obviously one of 2 people (each accused the other--hence the reasonable doubt, both ways). My experience of both was that a) most juries are groups of unbelievably unfocused, emotional, unsystematic, superstitious/religious, stubborn/indifferent unskilled thinkers, and b) a good foreman is VITAL to achieving justice, and even then the odds aren't good--there are 11 people for the foreman to somehow corral into a shared decision. The probability of a completely bone-stupid verdict is very high.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was the foreman of 2 juries, one a trivial lawsuit and the other a notorious murder trial in Akron where there was possible reasonable doubt but where the murderer was obviously one of 2 people (each accused the other--hence the reasonable doubt, both ways). My experience of both was that a) most juries are groups of unbelievably unfocused, emotional, unsystematic, superstitious/religious, stubborn/indifferent unskilled thinkers, and b) a good foreman is VITAL to achieving justice, and even then the odds aren't good--there are 11 people for the foreman to somehow corral into a shared decision. The probability of a completely bone-stupid verdict is very high.

Doesn't surprise me.

It didn't help that the media turned it into a circus, which I'm sure makes everyone involved feel like they have to "perform" for the cameras, instead of keeping their focus on where it belongs. I'm beginning to strongly believe the press should be denied any information whatsoever until a trial is over an done with, including banning anyone even remotely involved from speaking with them. ugh

N

Nomad

Concurring with mrsammler.
husband was the foreman of a very serious/grim local trial.
The evidence was there...but many jurors had all kinds of difficulties. Much had to do with the grim nature of the subject matter (as well as other things). It was hard for the work to be done. husband felt that many would just assume walk away from it all. But husband stuck to his guns and kept on putting the facts of the case in front of everyone and forced each person to look at the facts carefully. husband is super smart and responsible. Yep, a responsible, intelligent, level headed foreman can be very important.
I think these jurors will hesitate to come forward....but in time...slowly...many will.
An alternate juror already spoke last night saying that since no one could prove how the child died and there was reasonable evidence that an accident occurred, they could not convict CA.
However, it still doesn't explain to me how they could not convict for Aggravated Child Abuse (not sure what the term here is exactly).
The mother clearly did not look for her missing child and there is little to NO reasonable doubt that she used choloform on that child and this is not ok by any means. These things alone are child abuse.
Perhaps there are some legalities here that are missing....but most of this just doesn't add up in my book.
My thought is that since this girl can not/ will not change, somewhere down the road chances are justice will prevail. I just hope that no innocent person is hurt along the way.