Casey Anthony Bombshell!

klmno

I'm with you on that one. I didn't see a whole lot about it but from what I did see, it was way too circumstancle (sp). Then, as it turned out, many military bases turned up with toxic water and soil. So I don't know what really happened with this particular man but I definitely agree that there wasn't legal evidence there to find the wife guilty of murder.

I'd say the same thing about Casey but it just seems like her defense has conceded. I mean, if she had been crying and looking for her daughter, then they find a body and she had been cooperating with police even if she had a boyfriend and went out drinking, then her current defense was that she didn't know what happened, I might believe she was innocent. But this one seems to be a lot stickier to me.

klmno

Basicly, I'm saying that being a partier or addict dsoesn't make a person a murderere. Being a difficult child doesn't either. But in this case, it does appear to me that Casey is guilty of a lot pertaining to her daughter's death, if not intentional murder. Whether or not other people in her family might have been guilty of something, I don't know. I most definitely think it's a very dysfunctional family.

Then, on the Dr. Phil series about the young woman named Alex- I can see where his therapuetic approaches aren't working. I do honestly think that is such a controlling family that Alex has a point. Not that she shouldn't accept some help or that she needs help- but that family is so controlling I can't see straight. No therapy is going to work if they can't acknowledge that, in my humble opinion.

DDD

It will be interesting to the end, lol. Honestly I have tried and tried to figure out how she could be innocent and I can't come up with a logical scenario. I can't "see" what circumstances could have arisen that would have resulted in this darling little girl's death. Even to me, lol, it's impossible to come up with a "why" or a "how". Do I think the grandparents did it...uh, not really.If it were a stranger abduction and murder Casey and her parents would have been at the precinct right away. My gut does not like or trust George. My gut tells me that Casey's Mom probably also has issues. Hmmmmmmmmm. I wish all three had been under the care of a psychiatrist and a therapist.

As the daughter of an Air Force Colonel, the sister of an Air Force Colonel and the proud Mom of a State Law Enforcement Division "honcho" I cherish the days when I believed the "system" was honorable, morally based etc. I've lost my innocence
after hand on experience with law enforcement leaders. I'm saddened by that. Life was a heck of alot more pleasant when I believed in "good guys vs. bad guys". BUT I do believe in the jury system. I've served on three. Some of the people are eager to "get it over", some in my experience "love the attention" but most of our American citizens really seriously try to presume innocence until the guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It is a hard task to reserve judgement until that point but I sincerely believe in the jury system. Sometimes they goof like the Armed Forces Mom but in my heart I believe that most of the citizens feel the burden of responsibility and do their best. I really do. DDD

klmno

I agree with that. That doesn't mean that I think "my" state has figured out a feasiible approach to deal with difficult children and their families (clearly I think they are way off base) but I do beleive in the good intent of the majority of Americans, which gets reflected on a jury the majority of the time.

The last time difficult child was arrested, which was in my home for an offense against me, the policeman and I both agreed this was a stupid idea for difficult child to come straight home after release from Department of Juvenile Justice. But we both also knew (and discussed) that it was CSU controlling that. So what does one do? CSU is doing it because of funding- not just funding for services but funding because the higher-ups would prefer to spend the funding they get on inadequate probation/parole officers to "monitor" (aka nothing beneficial) instead of rehabilitative services. Those decisions are made because the public thinks and is more comfortable believeing that taxpayers dolklars are better spent on POs than services. POs do nothing except order stuff. If there's no money for the stuff they should be ordering, then they are doing nothing except trying to turn a home into a Residential Treatment Center (RTC). That goes back to public knowledge and who the public votes for.

I'm bringing that up because I'm thinking Casey was probably on some sort of public assistance- although I don't know that for sure.

Either way, I can definitely understand your desire to find faith in our system again. I'm going thru that too, although probably from a different angle. The world judt isn't the same and it's going to take some real - I don't know what- to get people in this country back on track, in my humble opinion.

DDD

Amen! :hammer: I'm off to bed and will probably still be thinking about that case, lol. Goodnight all. DDD

I watched some what Cindy Anthony said on the stand yesterday. She was talking about Casey being at work, and was interupted and told Casey wasn't really at work. Cindy said, "Yes, she was. I saw e-mails and an ID badge." This woman is out there.
"
She also kept talking about "Zanny" the nanny as if she were real. Not saying things like-" Casey said Zanny was in an accident", but actually saying "Zanny was in an accident." But we all know there is no Zanny. She seems to be for the defense, showing the jury she's got problems.

I'm normally at work and can't watch this, but yesterday I couldn't tear myself away.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I actually felt a little empathy for Cindy watching her on the stand yesterday - had very little seeing her in action previously. Am sure she had more than a few "hmmm" thoughs in the back of her head about Casey and her tale spinning with having an automatic answer for everything and didn't want to force herself to go there in the beginning - probably everything that came out of Casey's mouth seemed plausable. I think many of us can relate to the tale spinning with our difficult child's - just not to this measure.

The boys have set up my computer so I can toggle between my work and personal easy child, so have been following it daily, more listening that watching. But there were a few times when camera shot to Casey she was sort of chuckling when her atty had George's feet to the fire, had a different deminor when the string of boyfriend's were on the stand, and definately when her mother was on the stand she at one point became unglued when she got off the stand and didn't look at her.

Am glad we have a two day break - although I have a hard time not logging into In Session on facebook to see how others are reading the trial.

Marcie

TerryJ2

I'm not watching the case, but it seems to me, that if Cindy believes that Casey was at work, the atty would simply check out the login at her actual job and produce it, so what's the point? Did he tell Cindy that the ID badge was fake? Why are they playing these games?

Cindy did argue with attny when attny said "there was no -at work, though,". After that, it was never mentioned again, she let Cindy go on. She let Cindy go on while she was talking about Zanny, as well, as if she were still a real person.

witzend

The main point is that they may "feel" she's guilty enough for the death penalty, but don't consider it proven enough that she did it in the circumstances required for the death penalty. That's where the contingency charges come into play, so it's not an all or nothing trial.

True they do get to use their noggin and weigh all of the facts. But they can't come up with "I don't believe in the death penalty." They've already sworn that they dfo and that they can in good conscience.

DDD

Not to make light of a tragic situation but both the Prosecution and the Defense in their opening statements referred to the Anthony's as a "dysfunctional family". I thought that was interesting at the time. Now ?? I think that the warring attorneys are rightly on that same page. The story just seems headed from sad to sadder to saddest. DDD

by the way, in Fl the jurors do not all have to agree on the final sentence so a couple of death penalty holdouts would not prevent that from being the recommendation.

klmno

by the way, in Fl the jurors do not all have to agree on the final sentence so a couple of death penalty holdouts would not prevent that from being the recommendation.

Wow- that could be a double-edged sword, depending on the case.

H

HaoZi

What I'm saying is they may believe in the death penalty as a more general thing, but not believe that it should apply to a particular case. If they don't think the premeditation or what have you is proven but that she murdered her daughter is, then that removes the death penalty as an option and goes to the next one down, a life sentence. You can support the death penalty without supporting its application to every case.

DDD

True. There was one prospective Juror who was too gung ho for the death penalty. It was weird. She was eliminated, thank heavens. I'm not sure if I'm right but I think seven out of ten or twelve rule. DDD

witzend

You can support the death penalty without supporting its application to every case.

I don't disagree at all with that. They may or may not find that she deserves the death penalty if they find her guilty. But they can't have been sworn in if they are anti-death penalty, they had to give sworn testimony in Voir Dire that if it was appropriate they would be able to apply that sentence.

susiestar

Roll With It
The whole thing is a huge, sad, sick mess. I am sure that the entire family is messed up - but it is not an excuse. I also think that every family, not any -every - would look incredibly dysfunctional if it was put under a microscope like the Anthony family. Again, this is not an excuse for murder or hiding a death, esp of a child.

As for Zanny the nanny, there actually WAS a woman with the name Zenaida Gonzales but she had never been to the apartments that Casey said she lived in, nor had she ever lived in the apt where Casey said she dropped her off at = and the family that lived there and the mgmt confirmed it. This was the first thing that Casey said had happened - the nanny took her because Casey had not paid her and she was keeping the baby until the debt was paid in full.

If they suspect, or the defense claims, that Caylee was the product of incest with either the father or brother, why did a DNA match between Casey and Caylee not show too many points in common? If either her dad or bro were the bio father, it would be fairly simply to find out.

Then there was the story taht she was kidnapped and Casey HAD to be released from jail to go find her - that they would not communicate with anyone else. This even got someone to bail her out, I think it was that Padilla bounty hunter, the one who has a show on Nat geo Channel, or did for a while, and wanted a show to prove he was better than Dog the Bounty Hunter. He comes off as a blowhard creep to me. There was NO evidence of any kind, not even phone calls, to corroborate this story of kidnapping.

I think she has been following some terrible advice, or not following good advice to NOT do this, and she is waiting to drop bombshells during the trial so she can sell the story for a huge payday. Or her parents can if she cannot profit from the events. This has kept the entire family from being honest. The mother is more than a little bit nuts - seh comes across as unhinged to me. But if my child had been murdered, well, I would be unhinged also.

She is the one who said teh trunk smelled like a dead body. later the Anthony's tried to say it was rotting pizza and/or hamburger meat that Casey forgot to take inside or to throw away and it caused the smell. One of the news shows did a test with either pizza, ground beef, or both. Even after days in the trunk in very hot weather none of the items created a smell like a dead body.

Early in this mess, before the body was found, they talked to a couple of women who were supposedly party friends of Caseys and they said that she had been talking about putting Caylee to sleep in her trunk - how the baby wouldn't wake up until they were home again, but this way she could party with-o a sitter or a kid dragging hte party down. I don't knwo where these people are now, but in my opinion that is pretty damming evidence.

whatever happens, I hope that this is a warning to any other young parents who want to sedate a child so they can go party.

I do have a thought/experience as to why the victim of incest would EVER allow the perpetrating relative around their child. in my opinion it shouldn't happen. Sadly my opinion is NOT in line with reality. Often the abused does NOT want to make waves or has been told they were lying so much that they do allow their kids to spend time with the abuser. One family friend, with a child near my age, was abused for years and years by her father. Her mom didn't know because she worked graveyard and the dad was the only one home with the kids. The child my age spent many hours with his grandparents and even while in therapy for the incest this friend still visited her parents and helped care for her abuser when he became too old and sick to care for himself. It was traumatic, but she still allowed her child to be there with her mother and abuser.

Even she says it was not rational, but she couldn't stand up and say no, they cannot see him because she was abused so badly.

Sometimes what WE, the ones not in that specific type of abusive relationship, think is normal is far from what an abused person in that specific relationship thinks is normal and/or acceptable. keeping the abused helpless and powerless even over her own child, is a huge part of the thrill for an abuser.

I do NOT know if Casey was abused. I do think that some bad things happened in that home long before Caylee was born. I also think Casey did some majorly wrong things and lied about everything and is still telling lies.

Last edited:

Marguerite

On the subject of people sedating kids and thereby causing their deaths - a case here in Sydney, Samantha Knight, a kid of about 10 who was used to coming home alone while her mother was at uni, went missing one evening. Samantha would get out of school at 3 pm and walk a short distance home, sometimes going to her babysitter's place (a nearby male friend of the mother) or, increasingly, going home alone because the mother would be home at about 5.30 pm.

On the night the girl went missing, she was seen at the local convenience store buying a toothbrush at about 5.15 pm. The shop was only a hundred yards from home and it was still daylight. But when the mother got home - no sign of the girl. She called the babysitter - no, not there. The mother called the police, because it was out of character for the girl to be out late. They started the search without too much delay but there were no clues.
Years passed and never an answer, never a sign. Then finally, the babysitter confessed - he had been in the habit of sedating Samantha and posing her, unconscious, for nude photos for the pedophile market. He got his hands on her again this night but accidentally overdosed her. He had been doing this believing that because she was sedated, she would never know and it would not have an impact on her. Poor kid!
In that case, there was no blame cast at the mother. We didn't really have much in the way of after school care for that age group in those days and it was not uncommon for kids on the edge of their teen years, to be latchkey kids. Plus she had a good babysitter in reserve (or so she thought). The guy had apparently checked out as sound, but then he had never been caught before.

I suspect a lot more people drug their kids (or kids in their care) than we would believe possible.

Marg

Yes, there was a person with the name "Zanny", Casey searched the internet for names. The woman never met these people. There was no "Zanny the nanny". They also did a DNA test on Casey's father and brother, negative on both.
I aslo found it interesting that Cindy said she didn't know Casey was pregnant until she was 6-7 months along. She also said that their cycles were the same and they had always joked about bloating and complained. Does that mean Casey was pretending to get her period for 6-7 months?

DDD

You know, there has been so much coverage that sometimes I don't recall what was testimony and what was reported off the record during television shows exploring what could have happened. I do remember however hearing within the last week or two that Casey hid her pregnancy and that her Mom encouraged that. At the time I wasn not riveted to the television at work but it was an odd report. "Someone" (I think a co-worker of Cindy's) stated that Casey showed up at Cindy's job ?? wearing a big coat (in Florida) that tried to conceal her pregnancy. The person stated that it was obvious that Casey was pregnant and at that time or soon after Cindy shared the news with coworkers that she was going to be a Grandma. Odd stuff! DDD