Caseys Law

worried sick mother

Has anyone ever heard of Caseys Law? It's a law where you can have your addicted loved one forced into treatment. You have to petition your loved one in court and have evidence, go before a judge and then the judge decides if they can be forced into treatment. You also have to have the treatment facility in place and are responsible for paying for treatment.
I've been thinking of trying this with my 23 year old son. My counselor says it's a one shot deal and that I don't have enough evidence. My son totaled my car and got a DUI, no alcohol involved, got a possession of drug paraphernalia charge, I have a straw and a picture of 2 straws with a glass dish he had in his home, pictures of post he put on Facebook where he states how he hates life and wants to die and not much more physical evidence.
I know everyone on this site says they have to want help but sometimes I think if maybe they could just get their heads clear for long enough that they would want to be clean and free of that terrible lifestyle.
My son denies any drug use. I haven't seen him in person in a while, he avoids me. But according to the few pictures I've seen of him on social media he looks like death. He has more wrinkles than a 60 year old man, eyes look black, white as a ghost, and so thin and frail. His biological father is even concerned now and before he said I was basically crazy that his son didn't use drugs and I needed to stop blaming him. His father said his skin is yellow because he has seen him in person and that he can't stop crying over how bad he looks.
I just feel like I can't sit back any longer and let my son die. Has anyone used Caseys Law? It may only be in my state. Or anything similar to force your loved one into treatment? Thoughts???

lovemyson1

Hi worried. I am sorry for your sons bad choices and unhealthy lifestyle. And I'm sorry you are going through this. It's such a helpless feeling. No, I haven't heard of Caseys Law. However, if i did, I still don't know if I would go through it. It's a fact, unless the addict wants help, truly wants help and to change their life, they won't. No matter how desperately we want them to get better, it has to be their decision and even then it's so difficult. I'm not trying to be negative but it's the reality I've learned having a son addicted to heroin for the past 4 years. I agree when you say, it's worth a try to get them in and clear their heads so they have a chance to change their lives but it's a small chance. So, if you are willing to accept that it might not work even through all your efforts, then you should do it. We are all desperate to help our addicted children. My son is in recovery and has been clean for over 6 months but he still struggles. If there's one thing I've learned through it all, it is that the addict has to truly hate the addiction and what it has done to their life, they have to want to change more than anything in this world, not because they HAVE to but because they WANT to. I hope and pray your son wants this as much as you. ((hugs))

New Leaf

Hi Worried, welcome to the site and so sorry for your need to be here. I googled Caseys' law and found it interesting. The theory is that some addicts involved in criminal acts are incarcerated and undergo substance abuse treatment involuntarily and become clean. I can see why this appeals to you. It is horrible to watch the transformation that occurs with our adult children while they are using. I agree with Lovemyson, that it could be a long shot. Most folks here, as you wrote, know from experience that an addict will not stop using, unless they see the need to.
We all must do what we must do, to be able to look in the mirror. I understand the frustration and deep pain.
I hope that you are able to work through this and figure out what is best for you. You referred to your counselors comment, about not having enough evidence. It is good that you are going to counseling. I did too and it was very eye opening and helpful. While you are looking for solutions, you may want to try also going to alanon, or reading about addiction and work on building yourself up. It is a hard road we are all traveling, dealing with loved ones using. Please be gentle and kind to yourself, you have value and you matter. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. We do understand the heartache of this.
You are not alone.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

BusynMember

Intervention in my opinion is a great true life show. I wish id known about interventions when my daughter used. In her mind, she wanted to quit but couldnt stop the pressure on the streets.
Intervention usually ends well and is my favorite show.

InsaneCdn

"Intervention" works well as a TV show. In terms of proven effectiveness, I haven't seen much for solid research. Too much is attempted by untrained or poorly trained "professionals". Some of the outcomes are awful, some are successful. Most of the failures go undocumented, we only hear about the successes.

BusynMember

Sure, ic. But I may have just gathered the family together with letters and a place. Couldn't have hurt. Of course, we wouldn't have had access to the Betty Ford Clinic either!!​