Cat birth HELP! Plz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh my goodness. Midnight has planted herself at my backdoor looking pitiful as all get out. I just found her while taking Molly out. She's been acting funny all afternoon....... This is the outside stray who adopted me and is only about 10 mos old herself. I means she's planted right up against the door. Minnie keeps checking on her as if she's worried. (Minnie is a sweetie)

It's going to get into the low 50's tonight. Not good temps for newborns and evidently she's hoping I'll help her. Only I dunno what to do with her. Heck I thought she was just getting fat (she likes to eat) I didn't know she was preggers! FYI, this is not really MY cat. Like I said, someone tossed her and her sister out as tiny kittens and she showed up here (probably brought here by Minnie) and has never left my yard since. She adopted me, not the other way around. But I do feed her everyday with Minnie.

I dunno what to do with her. I have Bruce and Molly inside. My family room is too much of a wreck to put her in there still. (I'd probably lose her and I'd never find kittens) I *might* be able to put her into the bathroom/laundry room if I move Bruce's litterbox out into the kitchen (ew) and just keep her closed in there. But I don't know if she knows how to use a litter box after all this time outside. (she acted like an inside kitten when she arrived) And aww heck, Bruce and Molly might make her a nervous wreck. Bruce hates other cats, they make him nervous cuz the strays were mean to him when he was a stray as a kitten. So he hisses constantly. Molly would just check on her and such. But still.

But it looks like she's got some bloody show going on...........so if I'm gonna set something up for her I can't wait too long. And I no nothing about kittens. ugh!

Poor thing though............I just can't ignore her..........that would be mean. :sigh:

tiredmommy

Get a box or laundry basket, layer with old towels or blankets (these will be thrown away later). Put her in a very private area (bathroom, closet, etc), but have it cleared because of the potential for mess. Give her a bowl of water. She should do the rest.

T

TeDo

Do you have a garage or shed? A cardboard box with blankets/towels in there should help. You could always put a lamp shining on it too. That will help with the hear and block some of the colder air if you have some building.

Good luck "grandma". Keep us posted.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
She's in my laundry room / bathroom at the moment. Large cardboard box with a microfiber blanket (non expensive one/ yard sale variety). Food water and litter box is available.......she scoped out where they all are, not hard they're pretty much right there with her. Doesn't seem the house makes her nervous at all. I have the door closed......and I'm searching for my extra nightlight. Travis found a box (plastic) suitable for a extra litter box. And now I'm glad I picked up 5 extra bags of litter at Dollar Tree today.

If it was warmer weather I wouldn't worry too much, well.......that and she just sat there waiting for me to help her. She was NOT finding a spot on her own. I didn't want kittens born right outside my back door. I'm glad I found her before the first one was born.

Midnight is a funny cat. Like I said, someone dumped her and her sister ebony as tiny kittens (maybe 8 wks old).....and she's literally been trying to get inside my house every since. So I'm pretty sure she was inside with her Momma cat. Ebony will roam, but is always home for dinner. She doesn't roam far. Midnight will NOT leave the yard no matter what. She's like Minnie that way. She is like Bruce in her level of affection and love, she just can't get enough.

Good grief! What am I going to do with kittens?? I mean, I hope she does alright and they do well.......But what on earth am I going to do with kittens?? sheesh!

T

TeDo

Glad you figured out something suitable and I'm sure Midnight is VERY grateful. How is Bruce handling it or isn't he really noticing yet?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Other than being miffed that his litter box is in the kitchen, he's cuddled in my lap purring as I type. He didn't really get to see her come in, Travis kept him distracted. lol Although when he hears her shuffling in there he looks at me odd.

I have a nightlight in there now. Midnight is of course jet black......figured I'd better or one of us might step on her in the night. She is loving that box and staying in it. And I'm hoping it means she is comfortable. We had another stray adoptee Shadow a few years back had a litter on us inside.....and she literally moved the kittens to death. She just couldn't feel "safe" or whatever. And shoot, Shadow lived inside.

DammitJanet

I hope she doesnt have a huge litter...lol. We are finally down to 9 from our original 12. Thats not too bad considering the dog only has 8 teets!

Nina has moved her puppies too. They were in her pen but we noticed 2 days ago that half of them were missing. We got to hunting for them and we heard them under the house. I think she became irritated at all the people coming by to view them and just moved them to somewhere that no one could see them. Only is, I could hear them all day yesterday but today I havent heard a peep from them. I hope she hasnt moved them again. Funny thing is I have never actually seen her carrying a puppy in her mouth and now they are getting pretty big. They will be 4 weeks old this weekend. They bark and growl now. Its funny to hear. LOL

susiestar

Roll With It
She will be fine, lisa. if she had a good momma cat, then usually she will be a good momma too. esp as she has been well fed at your home and feels very comfortable there. If she was uncomfortable at your home she would not have stayed in your yard so faithfully all these months. The way she has curled up is a sign she is comfy int he box, and the way she was up at your backdoor while in labor tells you she was determined to have her cats inside and feels safe there - they go where they feel safe to have babies. If she didn't feel safe with you, or if Bruce made her uncomfortable, then she would not be at your door in labor, and sure as sugar she would not have stayed there for long enough to wear you down and let her inside.

What to do with the kittens? Start putting ads up because they will need homes. Wouldn't Aubrey like a kitten of her own? Be sure to talk to area vets to put signs up in their waiting rooms - those who see them will be known to the vet and you can check them out after they call about the kittens, before you send htem home wth a kitten.

DammitJanet

Kittens should be easier to give away than my puppies and I already have homes set for 5 of mine. I think I got luckier because mine came out so darned cute and looking really like bull dogs. Thank heavens she didnt mate with a mutt!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Susie... With 2 cats and a dog, I think Nichole's husband would probably not go for a kitten.

I love kittens. I wish I had room for one...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
No kittens yet.

But she did manage to get herself into my linen closet in the bathroom and now I have to wash all my sheets. It's not a "real" closet, but one of those cabinets you buy at Lowe's. Evidently the door wasn't quite shut.

She's still eating and drinking. And thank heavens using the litter box just fine. So I was right about her having been an indoor cat as a kitten herself.

Shouldn't she have had a kitten by now? I'm pretty sure she's preggers.....her sides are poking out. And she's leaking sort of nasty blood out her backside.....not a lot.....just ew if you Know what I mean?. There is no meowing panting ect. Although she is quite pleased at being in the laundry room with her box.

Maybe I'm wrong and she's not preggers?? But what else would it be? She doesn't appear sick either. Shadow was quite vocal during labor, at least at times, and you saw the panting ect no doubt. But I know squat about cats. She doesn't appear to be in pain either per se. (but I know animals don't tend to show it) I'm a dog person whom the world seems hell bent on turning into a cat person. She is not meowing or carrying on about being in the bathroom/laundry room either in the slightest either........acting as if it's perfectly normal for her to be in there.

But shouldn't we have at least one kitten by now?

Bruce is currently quietly sitting in front of the closed bathroom door with his head cocked funny. He has used his litter box this morning, but still isn't pleased it's no longer in the bathroom. lol

buddy

My cat jumped on my lap and shortly after a bubble came out, fluid filled and no kitten. That was delivered and then nothing for a whole day more. I called the vet and he said that can happen and if she is not in distress to keep the lights off and do not keep checking too much, just once in a few hours. I did that and sure enough she went into labor. She wanted me to help it was so funny she kept running to me for support. I did help clear off the sacks since she was so depending on me, but I am sure she would have. She was fixed a few months later. So I only have experienced that once.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've only gone through it once too. And Shadow had all the classic signs. Took her a bit to deliver the first one, after that they came fairly regular and yeah she wanted me there with her........even though she barely tolerated me normally. Nichole and I just sat with her and let her do all the work... She had a rough time with a couple of them.....I dunno if it did something to her or not, but she never got preggers after that. (and we didn't get her spayed because at that time the cost was pretty stiff)

Once we're done with this kitten business......I'm going to contact that van and get Minnie and Midnight spayed, I'll do my best to round up Ebony and get her done too.

I have a hard enough time with some neighbor letting her cat have litter after litter, then dumping the ones she can't give away outside.......which all seem to end up at my house.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm wondering about this..........

I just checked on Midnight. She was sleeping contentedly in her box. No signs of labor. But I noticed she'd drank an entire bowl of water......and it was filled before I went to bed at 2am. I filled it for her...and when she got out of the box a puddle of ickish watery brown fluid appeared under her.....quite a decent amount. I cleaned it up with paper towels. She's eating again.

I guess I should ask........

Should she be having all this discharge with NO symptoms of active labor?? Shadow didn't do this before active labor started, only after......and there was no doubt she was in labor. Nor does it seem that the fur from around the teets has either thinned or is gone. No attempt to clean up the discharge or her fanny area either. Nor is she acting sick, although she does have a slight cough.

She can stay where she is just fine for now. It's working out quite better than I originally thought it would. But I am getting a little worried since it's been well over 12 hrs since I first spotted discharge and still no sign of active labor.....

keista

The last animal labor I witnessed was for a an English Bulldog. She appeared to go into active labor, but it was 36 hours before any action commenced.

It is odd for a cat to have discharge and not clean it up. Is she still using the litter box?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Seems our vet is closed today. I swear to all that is holy this stuff NEVER happens when the vet is in. Most other vets in the area want you to bring them in to be seen. Which I can't do as 1. I can't afford it and 2. I have to go to work in 2 hrs.

I guess I'll just keep watching her and hope that no signs of distress is a good thing.