Cat Food Funny

donna723

If you have Tractor Supply stores in your area, they carry the TOTW pet foods. I didn't know they had it for the longest time until somebody told me because it would never have occured to me to go in to a farm supply store. They have all kinds of neat stuff in there, including most of the good brands of pet foods.

InsaneCdn

Donna... I'm probably at least 500 miles from the nearest Tractor Supply store. They don't exist in Canada - or at least, not around here!
When it comes to shopping, you Americans have us Canadians beat by a long ways.

donna723

I didn't know if they had Tractor Supply stores in Canada or not - I guess they don't. We never used to have them here either. But then they went around and built new Super Walmarts in most of the towns where they previously had the smaller Walmarts and the old Walmart buildings ended up as Tractor Supply stores.

InsaneCdn

We do have various farm supply outfits - lots of those, we're in "farming country" after all. But... no TOTW. Lots of companies don't export to Canada. They don't want to pay the costs of Canadian standards (including bilingual packaging).

susiestar

Roll With It
Here is a link to the company's website: www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com .

They have a distributor locator and they do sell in Canada. It must be very popular because within 100 miles of my home there are 100 stores selling it.

Have any of you thought of giving your pets their vaccines at home? I was browsing at the feed mill (like Tractor Supply but locally owned and operated) and they had dog and cat vaccines. The one for cats that is feline leukemia and 2 other diseases was only 5 dollars and is the EXACT same thing the vet uses, down to the exact packaging. This one is given by putting 1 drop in each eye and then the rest up their nose, but they have the kind you give via shot (rabies, etc...) and it is perfectly legal to do this. We used to do this with our cats and then stopped because the one farm supply store went out of business. never occurred to me to look at the feed mill for some reason.

This is esp helpful if you have more than one cat to care for, in my opinion.

DammitJanet

We do all vaccinations at home except for rabies. That we get at the rabies clinics when those open every year. Well from now on it will be every 3 years.

IC, you could get the dog food off of amazon and have it shipped free if you have amazon prime. Im assuming they do that for Canadians too.

InsaneCdn

I don't do mail-order unless it's attached to a bricks-and-mortar store. Got burned too often.
And... where we live? it's a day's drive in any direction, minimum, to get to someone who carries it.
I checked... :D
Not that I'm surprised. It's typical of where we live.

But I will keep an eye out. Maybe some year...

susiestar

Roll With It
If you want to try it to see if your pets would like it, email the company. I had heard of the food but wasn't sure I wanted to buy it in case my cat wouldn't eat it, so I emailed them and they sent several sample size bags to me in the mail.

You can also check the dog food analysis site to see if there are other really good brands that are sold in your area. The site is a bit funky to use, in my opinion. You can either search for the name or browse foods based on the number of stars they are rated, 1 being the worse, 6 being the best. The site is www.dogfoodanalysis.com . There used to be one called www.catfoodanalysis.com but I cannot find it anymore. To look for Taste of the Wild, you have to search for TOTW or they don't recognize it in the search.