Cat Issues Help!

Sue C

They are the same people who think animals are disposable - and will turn right around and want to adopt a kitten! It makes me so mad I could spit.

Star -- I agree with you...and thanks for your explanation. Our neighbors gave their approx 6 year old dog to the vet 'cuz it was too much trouble. They told one of the little kids in their family that they were allergic to it (the kid told me). About a year or two later, they gave THAT SAME KID a puppy for Christmas!! Makes no sense. I also had a coworker with a dog that was about 10 years old, and he started peeing on her new carpet. She took him to the Humane Society saying, "I can't have him ruin my new carpet." I remember saying to her incredulously, "Don't you love your dog anymore???????!!!!!!!!!"

sue

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sue -

Those are the folks we see so much of. The ones that come in looking to adopt - a nice family you know Mom, kids - Dad's wandering around. And the family finds "THE ONE" and while we are talking to the family - the mother has to CONSTANTLY tell the kids "Leave the dog alone, don't do that, stop that, that hurts him." or there will be three year old children teasing the dog.

I have begged the shelter to have an adoption class - where the people HAVE to volunteer one Saturday for minimum 5 hours doing nothing but washing out kennels and cleaning up poop, taking a class on training and MANDITORY training classes for 8 weeks, 1 day a week after the animal is healed from spaying or neutering.

With cats and kittens - I don't believe ANYONE who tells me that it's for their 3 year old child and most times when younger children do come in - that's what they should do - come in, give love, ooh and aah, and if they want a cat and are serious - volunteer for a Saturday - clean out litterpans, wash dishes, fresh water, clean up hair, and see how it is to take care of an animal even if just for a day - and if after all that they still can do it - fine.

Too often like I said people get the animals - and I KNOW it's not a match. The Mother wants the daschund - the Father is already rolling his eyes because HE wanted the shepherd mix - a big dog - you know to keep OUTSIDE - ah yes - long haired breed on a chain, in 110 degree heat with no shade - nice. Moron.

I'm as passionate about animals as I am children - and I have gone to yard sales and told people their dogs water was nasty - would they drink it? There was no shade - would they stand out there in a fur coat for 10 minutes let alone all day? I actually lost a yard sale buddy because of embarrassing a neighbor who kept her dog on a dollar store chain with no straw in February - it gets cold here and they need bedding.

Okay well soapbox done - sorry daisy - didn't mean to monopolize the post for my take on animal rights - but I even have "rescue" rats - don't kill spiders in the house and can't imagine why people dump animals as if they have no feelings at all. Lights a fire for me -

Thanks for hearing me out.
Star

saving grace

Star you seem to have alot of knowledge about animals, I have a question for ya, My son called me today to tell me that his 10 month old cat peed on his bed right in front of him. They were playing, the cat was crawling under the cover on the bed, he was grabbing her and playing and he reached under and the bed was wet, he pulled back the blanket and she was lying in pee? What is that all about? I had a cat for 18 years before this one and she never did anything like that, she goes in her box, and as far as I know hasnt urinated anywhere else.

Any thoughts??

Grace

susiestar

Roll With It
Grace,

I have a couple of thoughts. We have always had cats. And some that were very ill for years, but with care had good quality of life.

First thing to check is if cat has a urinary tract or bladder infection.

Second, was he playing roughly with her? We rough house a bit with our Gracie (she is 3 and very strong and it is usually HER idea!) but I know that when my teenage bro would rough house with my g'mas cats they sometimes peed if grabbed around the middle with more force than the human realized. (NOT saying your son was abusing the cat, but that he may not realize the effect of his grip strength on the cat).

Many of our cats would seem fine but get up somewher near us, in front of us, and urinate to tell us they had a problem.

Just thoughts,

Susie

meowbunny

Grace, has your cat been spayed? If she's going into heat, that can also cause some urination issues. But do watch her, if she does it again, I'd take her to the vet. Cats really do yucky things to let you know they don't feel well -- urinating be the least of them.

saving grace

Not sure about how rough the play was, she has never done this, (that we know of) and she seems fine other wise. Maybe I will make an appointment with the vet just to be sure.
My son changed her box right after she did it thinking maybe her box was dirty and she was mad or something but then the next morning I looked in the box and it appeared dry, just poop now pee.

Grace