Cat question

F

flutterbee

I'm not really concerned or I'd be at the vet. I just found this odd.

Abbey was spayed in March. She's my little kitty with the malformed kidneys. Anyway, the hair still hasn't grown back where she was shaved. There is a little there, but it's not anywhere near filled in. Where they shaved her leg for the IV grew back quickly.

Anyone else have this?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It took Betsy's a long time to grow back and fill in. But not that long. How odd. Molly didn't have a problem with hers coming back, nor Precious.

meowbunny

Bo's hasn't fully grown in snd hers was awhile back, too. I think BG's was back in about a month. I wonder if it has something to do with longhaired (BG and BB) felines and shorthaired (Bo)?

F

flutterbee

I don't know. It looks like it's just growing back in now and it's sparse. Her leg has been filled in for a long time now.

To be honest, I didn't notice it until recently. Abbey doesn't like to be held and she doesn't lay belly up. It wasn't until she was lying a certain way on her side that her belly was showing that I noticed. She gets mad at me when I try to look. She really doesn't like being held. She's mad at me right now cause I checked her again. :tongue:

Since I noticed that the hair hasn't grown in, I noticed she grooms herself a lot in that area. I wonder if it's itchy from growing in and she's pulling it out. (Boing! There went the lightbulb.)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If Abbey's grooming the area a lot; it is likely she is doing something called "barbering".

She's basically licking/chewing the hair off by excessively grooming the area.

The abdomen and the backs of the hindlegs are the two places you most commonly see this.

Barbering is thought to be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), by the way and is treated with medications (once you make sure everything else is healthy, of course).

If the skin is otherwise healthy and so is Abbey; this is a totally benign condition and quite common.

Some vets will say that stress sets off/aggravates this condition.

hth
toK

F

flutterbee

Well, THAT figures.

Let's see....

Jewel is extremely anxious...she'll make herself sick.

Baby Kitty is extremely neurotic. 'Nuff said.

Puddles is a big sissy that is afraid of his own shadow. Oh and he used to have a really bad habit of eating things he shouldn't.

and now Abbey has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

The only non-difficult child pet I have is Hydro. The one I rescued from living in a basement without consistent access to food and water and no attention.

Go figure.