Cats may cause crazy! A fascinating theory!

keista

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...at-is-making-you-crazy/8873/?single_page=true

This article is pretty long, but I found it extremely fascinating.

In a nutshell, it theorizes that toxoplasmosis (the parasite found in litter-boxes that pregnant women need to avoid) is not as harmless to "healthy" individuals as previously thought. It may even cause or exacerbate "crazy" behavior in otherwise healthy ppl.

Even more interesting is the link between toxo and schizophrenia.

What bugs me is that they repeatedly refer to this as possible science fiction, and unbelievable findings and such. To me such links make perfect sense, and open up the potential to finding such biological/psychological links with other parasites. I also find such links promising because if we can identify the parasites, we may even be able to eliminate the parasites, and therefore avoid being subjected to (as a society and individuals) the pains of mental illness.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Interesting.

They only called it science fiction type thinking, as in "to boldly go where no man has gone before" type thing, or that was my impression. I hope they continue this type of research as it makes sense. If they already know for a fact that parasites can alter the behavior of insects and animals, then it's sort of a "duh" thing that they could us too even if it's on a small scale. Although I do sort of think the whole parasite causing car wrecks is a bit over the top. lol Also make sense if it can cause brain damage or death to an unborn fetus, obviously that shows the parasite infects the brain.

I think they have a long way to go with this, but it's a start anyway and you've got to start somewhere.

I did have to smile at the belief it triggered schizophrenia. My mom hates cats, never lived with one her entire life, avoids them like all get out. That doesn't mean it can't cause symptoms that mimic the disorder.

tiredmommy

Well. I distinctly remember reading in the "What to Expect" book that I was not to change/scoop the litter while pregnant because it could cause birth defects. Why not mental health problems too?

witzend

This could explain a lot about husband's mother. I'm sure it's far too late to do anything about it, but cat hoarder's...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I've had cats my entire life... And I'm probably the most sane person in my house.

Note I say probably...

But, if they have made me crazy, I enjoy them too much to worry about it. Folie longtemps de phase!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I should say here that Bruce is currently driving me insane.............

But that has nothing to do with his litter box.

H

HaoZi

Not the first time I've heard about this, but even if it's an answer it's certainly not the only answer. And I'm not giving up my crazy cat, either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay I had a thought about this......another one, another one.......

If my cat poops outside......and my neighbors are crazy???????? Huh? See what I mean? :fantasysmiley: