CD get togethers

BusynMember

Oh, they HAVE to have something to do in Iowa...and it's probably very affordable. We could all walk through the corn fields, for example :)

Hey, if you do it every year, don't forget the Midwest! There ARE some states with lots to do! Mall of America rocks!

DammitJanet

I tried to do the MOA when I was in St Pauls in 2000. I managed to walk almost around one level before I simply gave in and went to the parking lot to wait for everyone...lol. I had a book and 3 diet cokes and my cigs. I waited about 4 hours in the parking lot for the rest of my people to show up.

Marguerite

Anywhere in the US is obviously going to be difficult for us. But who knows? One day... and I'll eat everyone else's octopus. I love it! Of course, it does depend how it's cooked. Thai style or Greek-style. I used to send Greek-style pickled octopus to school for easy child's lunches, she used to enjoy grossing out her friends.

Marg

tiredmommy

Ladies... I don't think available entertainment should be a criterion for determining a location. We create our own entertainment; just ask the wait staff that served us dinner in Cleveland. ;)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ya know, y'all, we could just descend on some small town somewhere that has NO tourist attractions whatsoever and have a blast...

And TM's right... I honestly think we terrified the staff. I really do.

KTMom91

I'm thinking Mule Days in Bishop...just for Star.

Or the jumping frog contests at the Calaveras County Fair...I love fairs.

Or the Clovis Rodeo?

donna723

"Ya know, y'all, we could just descend on some small town somewhere that has NO tourist attractions whatsoever and have a blast... "

Hey, you're talking about where I live! If you want a place where there is absolutely nothing to do, you could come here! Apparently people who don't live here find that relaxing! It's a bit like stepping back in time. Our "downtown" is two whole blocks long with an old fashioned courthouse square. There's a lovely little 13 room/suite hotel that has been refurbished to it's original 1930's glory with a WONDERFUL little restaurant attached. We have art festivals and Civil War reenactments every year and live music on the Square every Saturday night during the summer. When we want to go to a movie or the mall we have to drive to a bigger city 60 miles away. When the city folks want to "get away from it all", they come HERE! Not that there is no "recreation" here but I'm guessing that most of you are not in to deer hunting or driving old pickup trucks through the mud bogs. But you could always rent a canoe or inner tubes and "float the river"!

I'm mostly NOT serious but unless you all came here, that would probably be the only way I'd ever get to go to a CD meetup. Poor little broke me with the 10 year old car! But I could make it if it was a half block from my house! :sigh:

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love Tennessee... When would you like me to visit?!

OK, seriously, gotta save some $$$ first, but...

donna723

Well, Step, come on down! Summers are hot but it's lovely here in the spring and absolutely GORGEOUS in the fall when the leaves are turning! We're in the western end of middle Tennessee if that makes any sense, about an hour and a half west of Nashville. No mountains here, more big rolling hills, lots of rivers, streams and creeks. Small towns aren't for everyone but I really love it here.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I grew up in Iowa. Unless y'all would be entertained by chicken ****ing contests, nope...there's not much to do.

HOWEVER, the converging on a small-town idea could be a lot of fun...especially one with Amish roots....hee hee

Donna, my NEW car is 10 years old. My OLD car is 17 this year. My OLDER car is 18. Ain't no thing like an old car gonna keep me away. Its always been my darned kids!

And I, for one, put in a vote for Mule Days. I've seen it on the tv. It looks AWESOME!

keista

Hey donna! You any where near Bucksnort? While driving through to OK from VA we were gonna stop there. Have remembered that name ever since.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Summers are hot but it's lovely here in the spring and absolutely GORGEOUS in the fall when the leaves are turning!

...About a week ago, here? 95 with heat index of 110... I was born in west Texas... Heat isn't really a problem... LOL!

donna723

"Hey donna! You any where near Bucksnort?"

Keista, believe it or not, yes I am! It's a little ways from my house but the Bucksnort exit is only a few miles past the exit where I got of the interstate to go to work for 24 years! Too bad you didn't stop there ... I'd be really interested in your reaction to seeing it! There's a few people who live in the surrounding area but the "town" of Bucksnort is really only a few buildings right there at the off ramp. There used to be a little convenience store that got raided and their video poker games confiscated ... it has since closed because that was their main source of income. Now there's just a little gas station and a small, broken down motel where people have been arrested for cooking meth in the rooms. The only other thing in Bucksnort, the really big building with all the trucks parked in front of it - a HUGE "Adult" book store that has billboards all up and down the interstate - apparently a big attraction to some of the truckers. We're so proud!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We could go to Sweet Lips, while we're heading to Bucksnort.

We could go to Useful, Missouri. It has 2 antique stores.

Or Cut and Shoot, Texas. Or Gray Mule. Or maybe Truth or Consequences, AZ.

My car broke down in Hooker, OK once...

keista

broken down motel where people have been arrested for cooking meth in the rooms

So glad we didn't stop there because we were just looking for a room for the night. WHEW! So glad I was OK to drive one more hour!

We just thought the name was a HOOT!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Errr.

Truth or Consequences is actually in New Mexico, near Elephant Butte.

Its original name was Radium Springs, until a game show host in 1950 said he would broadcast from the first town to rename themselves after the show. "T or C" did, and he did. There's not much else there, so it was a good gambit for the town.

In fact, in the movie Cars, the town "Radiator Springs" is a car-themed play on Radium Springs.

And Wikipedia says it's "Hot Springs". Pfft.

T or C is on the way to Albuquerque from my hometown... A great stopping point.

donna723

Bucksnort, Tennessee is one exit down from Only, Tennessee, home of about fifty people and an ENORMOUS state prison out in the boonies. I've heard how it got that name but don't remember anymore. Only is right down the road from Spot, Tennessee.