CD get togethers

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, my bad about T or C. I just know we passed thru there on the way to AZ. We laughed at Elephant Butte, too.

H

HaoZi

Donna that sounds like the part of TN I loved looking at when driving through (where you are, not the other ones!). I remember it as "hill... hill with trees...hill....hill with trees....hill....house on a hill...hill with trees....hill...lake....hill with trees..." Is that about the right area? It was somewhere in NW TN.

donna723

NW Tennessee is where Dyersburg is, almost in Missouri. The landscape there is a little different than it is here. Where I am is more hilly than that but we don't have real "mountains" like in the Smokies. We're right on the Tennessee River, two counties up from the Tennessee/Alabama state line.

It's funny ... when my daughter was about three and we still lived in Florida, we flew up here to visit my family one time. This was four or five years before we finally moved here. We were driving along the back roads and my daughter woke up from her nap and looked out the window. Her eyes got huge and her mouth dropped open, just awestruck, and she whispered, "What is THAT?" I said, "It's a hill, honey!" Poor child had lived in lived in flat ol' Florida all her life and had never seen a hill!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I am feeling particularly stupid right now.

With the Hot Springs/Radium Springs disconnect, I emailed my Dad and asked him.

T or C used to be Hot Springs. Radium Springs is quite a bit closer to Las Cruces.

However, now I get to tease the person that told me T or C used to be RS.

Mom.

H

HaoZi

LOL Donna. I lived in FL until I was 27. Outside of a drive up the Eastern Seaboard where you could see the Blue Ridge in the distance, my idea of mountains are Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain...

mstang67chic

Going Green
Well if anyone likes festivals.....come to Indiana. Upcoming festivals for this area are Pioneer Days and the Johnny Appleseed festival.....located in a park surrounding his grave.

Sooooo maybe I should start a poll for the next location?

DammitJanet

We have Mule Days here too. I got behind one of them on the way to Raleigh one time...lol.

We also have a Climax, NC. Thankfully Im not from there nor are any of my kids born there or a product of that particular town. Though we lived about half an hour from there once.

H

HaoZi

How about the Cemetery Tour Stang? I want to do that sometime, have you gone on one?

H

HaoZi

I can't find anything online about it but the TV advertising has started. I think it's a fall or Halloween thing, seen something saying it's 8 cemeteries this year. I'll keep looking around and maybe the ad will come on again soon.

ETA: http://www.tombstonetrail.com/tours_guided.html

We haven't been to the Johnny Appleseed Festival yet either.

donna723

We've had historic cemetery tours here too but it's not a standing thing, it was one of the activities they had during the spring art festival. Everyone piled on to one of the buses from the Senior Citizens Center driven by the Mayor (Jim) who took us to four old cemeteries, two that I didn't even know were there. Pretty neat though! Lots of the early settlers, lots of Civil War soldiers, even a few going back to the 1700's. A few even had the old "grave houses" built over them! I wasn't even going to go because I don't like going places by myself but I was so glad I did. The tour was conducted by this ancient old lady (who has since died) who ran the geneology section of the library. She even showed us how to find unmarked graves using two pieces of wire like dowsing(?) rods like when you're looking for underground water ... and believe it or not, it worked!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Starting this weekend, Ohio goes Festival crazy.

Off the top of my head:

Sweet Corn
Popcorn
Sauerkraut
Celtic
Greek
Hispanic
Italian
Polish
Pretzel
Pork
Christmas in Historic Springboro

Yeah. Those are just the ones I can think of in a few seconds' time...

tiredmommy

We have festivals almost every weekend in my village and the surrounding area plus free concerts during the week at several venues. A few of the bands that have played near here recently include: ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, Styx, B-52s, Cheap Trick, Queens Ryche (sp?) plus too many more to list. The Erie County Fair is going on right now and it's as big as many state fair (dwarfs the NY State fair). Plus, we have Niagara Falls with all its scenic beauty, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Finger Lakes. There's the Maid of Mist tours, Whirlpool Jet tours, Cave of the Winds, the Erie Canal Locks, several wine tours. Plus, members that have a passport or enhanced license can cross the border to Canada... Toronto is only a few hours away and is a world class city with tons of cultural events, dining, shopping and entertainment. Plus, our summer weather is outstanding! Today is forecast to reach 80F with partly cloudy skies and a comfortable breeze. We seldom get the extreme heat that other areas have and tend to only get passing showers rather than all day rain.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OHHHHH I would give my eyeteeth to see Queensrÿche!!!

We get quite a few here too, just because we have this outdoor venue that performers love. Miranda Cosgrove was last night (iCarly).

Marguerite

My input is probably irrelevant, since if we ever make it, anywhere will be as good as anywhere else, will be as far form our home as anywhere else.

BUT - I love the country, whenever we travel we prefer to get out of the cities and into the countryside. Smaller regional centres are good, but big cities - they all look the same the world over. You have to look harder in a big city, to find the individuality.

Marg

trinityroyal

Toronto is only a few hours away and is a world class city with tons of cultural events, dining, shopping and entertainment.
And Trinity! You can come and visit ME!

(And on the subject of odd place names, the province of Newfoundland has a little town whose name starts with a D, has an L in the middle, then another D and ends with O. I'm being a bit cryptic because the name means the same thing as an...um...adult recreational device...and the board censors would get me.)

Trinity