CDC cookie recipe exchange?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just made Chocolate Crinkles and Koulouria - Greek Butter cookies

The Koulouria turned out to be DF's favorite - just plain old braided butter cookies -

http://www.cooks.com for the Koulouria

http://www.dianaskitchen.com for the Crinkles

I'm off to my first Christmas party in about 15 years - trying new things; getting out of the house. My gag gift (under $5.00) a Rubbermaid zippered wreath case (thank goodness for Big Lots)

It was the wreath case or the Ronco LAST PAIR OF SCISSORS YOU WILL EVER NEED IN A KITCHEN - showed a man cutting a branch - I thought - HUH - never know when branch eating will come back in style.

AND YOU LOST - GET OFF THE PUTER AND BACK TO COOKIE BAKING

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Mine isn't really a cookie but...Buckeyes

Mix a jar (16 oz I think) peanut butter

with I container of cream cheese frosting.

refridgerate.

roll into small balls

melt chocolate bark and dip balls in bark

do not cover completely.

Set on wax paper until hard.

Made these the other day and the folks that have had them so far have loved them. One person saw me in a restaraunt a few days after I took them to a class and asked if I might have more in the car.

jamrobmic

I love buckeyes-I'll have to try that recipe.

I have never made these cookies (I plan to make them this coming weekend, though), but they look good and not too complicated:

Marguerite

OK, you asked for it. And now for a classic Aussie recipe, from WWI. Anything made as hard tack you would think would be ghastly, but they're not. They're absolutely delicious. We eat them now, they're the only biscuit I buy for husband (although my mother would be wagging her finger at me, I should be making them).
So here is the only recipe given out by the Australian War Memorial:
http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe.htm

ANZAC is an acronym for the Australasian troops of WWI - Australia New Zealand Army Corps. These were a volunteer army - no conscripts. We've only ever had conscription for Vietnam and probably won't have it again. (husband thinks we had also had conscription in the later stages of WWII - I don't think so.) ANZAC is a term which has become associated now with ALL Aussie & NZ troops. husband is an Anzac, by that definition, but he doesn't claim it because he never served overseas. Our national day for our armed services is Anzac Day, on 25 April, commemorating the day of the landing at Gallipoli. How like Aussies, eh? Celebrating a military disaster and major mistake. However, it also celebrates the determination of the Anzacs to make the best of it and go way above the call of duty, with ingenuity, comradeship and courage. And these days - the enemy we were fighting, the Turks, are now celebrating it with us. This gives it all the more validity and meaning, to be able to come together in peace with a former enemy and both sides pay tribute to the courage and high ideas of all involved.

When you taste these biscuits, you will understand why we didn't need conscription for our soldiers in WWI!

Ignore the first (commercial) recipe - that's why we don't buy THEIR biscuits.

Here is a recipe very similar to the second one from the War Memorial site -

Anzac biscuits

Chef: Margaret Fulton
A traditional favourite. Serves a small party. Degree of difficulty: Low

Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes. Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes

You need:
1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
120 grammes of butter, melted
1 tablespoon of Golden Syrup
2 tablespoons of boiling water
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a little water

Method:
Mix together dry ingredients
Then the rest
Spoon onto a greased oven tray
Cook in a coolish oven 150-160 centigrade for 10 to 15 minutes

Serving Suggestion: Fresh

The biscuits should still be soft to the touch when you take them out of the oven but will harden on cooling. The best Anzacs are crunchy on the outside and a bit moist and chewy in the centre. Very good for you, but they taste very bad for you, a lovely toffee/butterscotch flavour. Great for dunking in your tea.

Golden Syrup is a by-product from the sugar cane processing/refinery. It's delicious, rich in flavour. If you can't get Golden Syrup, use molasses instead of Golden Syrup. Or maple syrup. Or honey. They will taste different but still be very yummy. Despite what the second recipe on the War Memorial website implies, Golden Syrup is NOT the same as molasses - molasses is darker with a stronger burnt sugar flavour.

The value of these biscuits - because they contain no egg, they keep well (hence used by the army in the days of long sea voyages and no refrigeration at the front). Back in WWI, making Anzac biscuits for the troops was a valid alternative to knitting balaclavas. People would make large batches of them and post them off to the war, and make more batches to eat at home because of rationing.

A good Anzac biscuit should spread out while cooking, so give them plenty of space. Use baking paper or non-stick silicone trays. For the authentic feel, use seasoned cast-iron, well greased. In a wood fire.

A recipe book my mother gave me had a problem with the quantities - my biscuits never spread out, they just sat there on the tray like lumps of sandstone (which they later resembled in texture). Inedible. The mix had far too much dry ingredients, the recipe took too much effort to try to set right. It has some other Aussie classics now lost in the mists of time (and good taste) such as "Calves Head in Brain Sauce". I want to go to HER place for dinner! (not). Chances are, that recipe is also wrong, but I've never bothered to find out...

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm going to try those haystacks. Oh, heck! I'm going to try Marg's too. lol And I already do the Buckeyes. (can't live in the buckeye state and NOT do them lol)

I'm in need of some really tried and tested sugar free bake goods, preferrably cookies for Nichole. So do any of our diabetic members have some to share that they enjoy?

I know I can get some off the web, but Nichole is only willing to try something "someone has actually eaten". :rofl:

This is her request by the way. Nichole told me if anyone could come up with yummy sugarfree recipes, her board aunties could. :smile:

I'm going to hunt down my recipe for chocolate pudding cake. Okay, so it's not cookies. But trust me, you're gonna LOVE me when you make it. :wink:

Marg?

Fascinating post.

It will be fun to try that recipe for the history alone!

Very interesting.

Chocolate pie, did you say, Daisylover?

Heh.

I love chocolate. :smile:

Barbara

I found this recipe in a magazine at the doctor's office.... sounds so yummy!

Black Forest Brownies
1 1/3 cups flour 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter 1 cup cocoa 4 eggs
2 cups sugar 1 1/2 tsp vanilla 1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts 1 cup maraschino cherries

Icing:

1/4 cup butter (softened) 1 tsp vanilla 6 tsp cocoa
2 cups confectioner's sugar 1/4 cup milk 1/4 cup chopped nuts

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa until smooth. Blend in eggs, sugar, & extracts. Stir in flour mixture, cherries, and nuts. Pour into greased pan. Bake @ 350F for 30-35 minutes. (Use toothpick to test)

Icing: In bowl mix butter, vanilla, confectioner's sugar, cocoa, and milk until smooth. Spread over hot brownies. Sprinkle with nuts.

:gingerbread: