ceramic cooktops

klmno

difficult child is making us something to eat. He laid down a loaf of bread on a hot ceramic cooktop. The plastic melted on the stove. Will this ruin my finish? Any suggestions how to get it off?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am not sure about plastic, but my easy child burnt scalding milk on mine and I just slowly and gradually got it off using the cooktop cleaner and a dobie pad, which is made of finely sewed together plastic - it's a scrubbie. You can't put too much pressure or you will scratch the top, but you can apply a little pressure and gently, over time, it comes off. It was so bad and she didn't tell me and it sat there cooking onto the top and I thought my cooktop was ruined forever.

Another *smarter* option than my idea :tongue: is to call the manufacturer.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'd call the manufacturer, too.

What about turning the heat back on low, just enough to soften the plastic so you can wipe it off with rag or paper towel?

meowbunny

Low heat, let the plastic soften, push up with a damp cloth and then gently remove with tweezers so you don't burn your fingers. Then, use a Magic Eraser to clean it (works better than the cream stuff you get and is safe for cooktops).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I have a blunt metal scraper that I use for my electric cooktop. It scratches easily.
I scrape it all off first, this was the manufacturers suggestions. I do this with my granite, ceramic and almost any other surface now.
I then use one of those Clorox cleaning pads. Or softly use my scrubby pad.
I have also used vinegar and baking soda after scraping it with a soft towel.

Josie

My ceramic cooktop came with a straight edge razor to use. I use it along with the ceramic cooktop cleaner to gently scrape the burnt on food.

LittleDudesMom

Hope it came out. I would have suggested putting the eye on for just a minute and then turning if off and using a straight edge razor to get it off. I then would use Bon Ami (like comet but it doesn't scratch and it's what I use on mine) and a soft sponge.

Sharon

goldenguru

I use a razor blade thingie on mine. And it has scraped up some pretty stuck cooked on foods. But, to be safe I'd contact the manufacturer.