Ceramic top stoves

klmno

If a person fries with cooking oil and the oil gets on the ceramic top, what is really the best way to clean it? I get that wiping up excess grease with paper towels then wiping with a wet dish towel will get most of it, but I've always ahd a problem with greasy residue and I'm wondering what will really clean off of it all. Any ideas??

witzend

When I had mine, I would lay out a WET paper towel on the top after it was cool while I was doing dishes. After dishes I'd wipe up with the towel, then use window spray. (I make my own, a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol so no streaks.) Once a week or so, or if there was something particularly difficult to get off, I'd use silver polish. It works better than stove top cleaner and it's cheaper. A Mr. Clean sponge did the same thing.

InsaneCdn

Baking soda... dab a bit on a damp clean dishcloth, and work it into the surface on the "problem spots".
It does not scratch (many other products do - I wouldn't trust something as strong as silver polish).

witzend

Baking soda... dab a bit on a damp clean dishcloth, and work it into the surface on the "problem spots".
It does not scratch (many other products do - I wouldn't trust something as strong as silver polish).

I used silver polish on mine for 4 years, and it always sparkled. It doesn't scratch my silver, either.

LittleDudesMom

Be careful with the window cleaner, check the ingredients, as many of those cooktops specifically say no products with ammonia.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
For just grease, wipe with vinegar! But since my kids like to let stuff boil over and then burn itself on - I use a plastic stove scraper ($1 at WalMart), wipe with a damp paper towel, then baking soda paste. If it's really stuck let the baking soda sit then spray with vinegar and let the chemical reaction do your work for you!

PatriotsGirl

I use a product called Cerama Bryte that I get at Home Depot. They also make the scrub pads and a scraper - they work fabulous!! I paid WAY too much money for my stove to risk scratching it. It is a drop-in stove. Apprently to order a stove without a back and sides cost about double what a normal one does. :/

TerryJ2

Well, I've had mine for 8 yrs and it's already cracked. What else is out there besides glass?
Yes, the products specifically used for these cooktops works, but it takes 3 full hand towels for me to really get it clean, then polished. A royal pain.
Good luck, Klmno!

klmno

When I had one before, I used the typical wet paper towels which just didn't get oil up well, then I'd wait until I did major cleaning on weekends to polish it with that special stuff they sell for ceramic tops. That's what I was trying to avoid- I mean I'll still polish it sometimes but I'm not doing that right after cooking a meal every time. So, I'll try some of these other ideas and see if it gets the oil up better right after cooking.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
For everyday... Get a cheap scraper or (CAREFULLY) use a razor scraper for the big stuff then vinegar & water. If you get a spray bottle ($1.50 at Wal-Mart) you can cut the vinegar 1/2 and 1/2.

DammitJanet

I always wanted a ceramic top stove. I mean I longed for one with deep inside. I thought it would be like some sort of status symbol of being a better person. I was so thrilled when I got mine. Oh blankety blank. I hate them now! I paid what for us was a small fortune for a very nice (again for us) ceramic top stove. It came with a self cleaning oven and the knobs were in the back and it was such a nice black top. Well phooey. It lasted about a year and until one eye after another stopped working until we only had one small eye that worked at all. And do you have any idea how much it costs to replace those eyes? Its cheaper to buy a new stove.

I looked on freecycle and found another stove and wouldnt you know it...another ceramic top stove! At least so far all the eyes work but if something boils over, you cant clean anything off of it. To me they arent worth the price. If I had my druthers, I would have gas but I would have to have a propane tank brought out here because we dont have natural gas running here. Most likely the next one I get will be a normal electric.

klmno

I'm perfectly happy with the old-fashioned electric. But I'm renting now and have to take what is there. But I know what you mean, DJ- I don't think they are worth it either.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Okay, I wanted the ceramic top stove forever and finally got one. I hate it. I will try these tips...but my next stove will be gas, which is what I was raised with and it is the best.

DammitJanet

wait till a burner burns out and you have to replace one or heaven forbids it cracks. That sucker is like 500 bucks. Each eye is about 80 a piece to replace and thats if you do it yourself and pray that as you lift the cook top you dont break it completely.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We bought ours with $ we got when we got married... It is 8 years old. husband had to replace an element in the oven part for $40 about 3 years ago... But so far that's it. My Mom has had hers even longer, probably 12 years... Maybe we're just in the perfect part of the country for them!!!