Ceramic top stoves

InsaneCdn

I'm a messy cook... and was warned by people who had ceramic tops and loved them and/or hated them, that... messy cooks and ceramic tops don't go together.

I'd love gas, but it costs too much to install the gas line after the house is built... our house is wired for electric stoves, so that's all I've had. But it's what I grew up with.... and yes, I can make a total mess, and still clean it.

DammitJanet

thats most likely why I hate mine. We are messy too but also the first one lost all those eyes and I have no clue why. Well I do have an idea. I bought mine at Lowes and I believe that they dont sell the best appliances anymore. I have bought several appliances from them and every single one of them has broken down within a year or two. At the same time I have bought used appliances that were built in the 90's that have been repaired and they are now working great.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child was dying to have a ceramic top stove and now hates it, although I don't think she does too bad cleaning it. Nichole hates hers too.

I hate electric stoves anyway. I hate them so much that when we moved in here I had a gas line put into the kitchen so I could have my gas stove. Worth every penny. My girls are getting ready to do the same. :)

Janet, I don't think they make appliances to last very well anymore. Heck, what DO they make to last anymore? We've got a Mom & Pop type appliance store here. I won't go to Lowe's ect for appliances. I go to this shop instead. They sell the same things but the service is totally different. They know their merchandise upside down and backward and will tell you all the pros and cons of each without pushing you to buy. Their repair service is totally awesome and super cheap too. easy child found this out when her frig died on xmas eve (bought at Lowe's by the way). This shop delivered her new one within hours so she'd lose as little food as possible...........Lowe's told her it would be several days at best, and they were more expensive. phht Only appliance I bought at Lowe's was my freezer........but I know I have this Mom & Pop shop to fix it if anything goes wrong with it too. lol

TerryJ2

Lol Step ... maybe you're just lucky, or you take better care of your things. And the fact that your husband knew how to replace one of the elements in the oven ...

DammitJanet

Well an element in the oven isnt anything like the one in the ceramic top. Thats the same as any regular electric stove. Actually its pretty much like sticking a plug in a socket. In reality the ceramic tops arent even that totally hard its just getting the glass up and then ordering the new ones.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet's right, you just plug it in pretty much. Still... I guess we're just lucky. We got our stove at Lowe's... LOL! Fridge too.

But the freezer and washer and dryer - all Sears. :bigsmile: Sears has done well for us.

DammitJanet

You must have gotten the good batch they shipped...lol. I have heard, and maybe its not true but it could be, that while the big box stores sell name brand items too that they can sell lesser quality of the name brand than if you bought that name brand item at the name brand store. Say you wanted to buy a John Deere riding mower. You could go to Lowes or you could go to a John Deere store. Most likely you would get one cheaper at Lowes. Also most likely the quality is going to be in question. Or is it?

Lothlorien

I have a gast stove and I've had a few boilovers. I have tried everything to get the yuck off the stovetop...vinegar, Mr. Clean sponge...you name it. I am going to try that silver polish, tho. Thank goodness the stove is black, because it would be hideous if it wasn't.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Been cooking on gas for years but grew up with electric and I sure miss electric! I cannot for the life of me get a true simmer on gas, there's nothing short of boil on these *&*^*&^ gas stoves, I hate it hate it hate it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL I had gas till I was 14 and as much as I love my ceramic top... I would go back to gas in a heartbeat!!!

DammitJanet

Haozi...I had that problem to on an old gas stove I had in an old house we lived in but I think with newer gas stoves that isnt such a problem. The really old gas stoves are different I think. The newer ones are made better.

LittleDudesMom

Confession time - I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to my cooktop. I can't stand to see it dirty and mine is white! Having a black one is almost worse because you can let it go longer and it is tougher to get the stains off if they are repeatedly cooled and heated.

I clean mine almost every time I use it because, even if I don't have a spill-over, often there is some discoloration because I have all calphalon cookware (a couple of mine are the original really heavy commercial pans from the mid 80;s).

I've had mine since 2004 and here's what I do. I keep a single edge blade widget in the drawer next to my stove and a big bottle of comet soft scrub (which I also use on my porcelain sink). If it's just a slight discoloration or spill, I just use the blade and some warm water - takes no time. If I've done my weekly cooking on Sat or Sun, I will take a little warm water in my sponge, squeeze it out on the burners (cool) and then squeeze a little soft scrub and rub it around with my fingers. While I'm doing something else like loading the dishwasher or something, I let it sit. Then I just go back with my sponge (I use the type that have the scrubber on one side) and then just wipe in circular motions. If there are any tougher stains, the blade takes them off.

Mine looks shiny and new all the time.

Sharon

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Haozi...I had that problem to on an old gas stove I had in an old house we lived in but I think with newer gas stoves that isnt such a problem. The really old gas stoves are different I think. The newer ones are made better.

The one in my apartment in a nice new Whirlpool gas stove. Same issue, can't get a nice simmer. Hate gas, miss electric. Just means I have to make my sauce in a crockpot instead of on the stove. Oh well, I'm not moving for an electric stove, I like it here!

InsaneCdn

Same issue, can't get a nice simmer.
You may need a degree of separation... double-boiler, for example.
Gas is VERY direct heat - and yes, it's very different than electric (which is again very different from ceramic tops...)