Cgfg - how to handle

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
To add to our glorious vacation, we picked up nephew today and took him to lunch. At lunch, cgfg told her aunt that she picked the style of braces she has.

No big deal. Except she made a huge production to husband and I 2 months ago about how awful her mother was because her mom MADE her get these kind instead of the kind she wanted because the others were too expensive and her mom won't "waste" any money on her.

Yesterday, for no less than an hour, I listened to this girl whine the same sob story.

So...either she lied to her aunt today, or she lied to me when she got her braces. When husband confronted her on it, she just shrugged her shoulders.

What do you do? In the scheme of things, its not important. But the incessant lying is.

Marguerite

All you can do is take in on board, file the info away and next time she tries to whine tat she didn't get her way, remind her. Then walk away.

She sounds like she has an overdeveloped sense of entitlement.

Marg

busywend

This is sort of typical teen, I think. The exaggeration of how awful parents are to them seems typical. It also goes along with this generations sense of entitlement. I wouldn't worry about it. Something like this little lie is not going to make or break her life.

Andy

Does she see this aunt often? If not, I would look at it as being the same way we address people during the day. One person will come up to you and say, "Hi, how are you?" and you usually will say, "I am good, and you?" and the conversation centers on the good in life where the next person, usually a closer friend, someone you converse with more will ask the same question a minute later and you say, "Could have been better. I am having a bad day today." and the conversation goes into the problems you are having.

Having her "happy" about the braces with her aunt made a much more pleasant lunch time then if she went into the "poor me - I didn't get what I wanted" story. She wanted her aunt to think all was well in her world and may have exaggerated a bit to keep the conversation going.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
In the scheme of things, it is so unimportant, but its just another case where she flat out lied to us. Only this time, husband caught it, too (he usually misses stuff). As it is, she got the braces she wanted (according to mom) so the big whine we got for 3 days about how awful her mom treats her and won't spend money on anything she needs was the lie.

I told her she needed to apologize to her mom, and find another confidant about her mom troubles for a while...I will not be listening to how awful her mom is anymore.