Changing IEP Classification

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by klmno, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Can members on the IEP team change classification from emotional disturbance to OHI for mood disorders? Does it take a full-re-evaluation and/or more than mood disorders?

    Thanks in Advance
  2. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member


    I believe it would take a domain meeting to review eligibility. The school may determine that they need additional information before changing or adding a classification. Or they may decide that your outside documentation and the information in their files is enough to determine the classification.

    What do you plan to gain by changing his classification from ED to OHI?
  3. Martie

    Martie Moderator

    JJJ is correct: enough info could exist in the file already, but this change requires a full IEP team meeting.

    Who wants the change? You or the SD? Labels to not drive services; IEPs do, so the label should not matter.

  4. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I have been thinking that a change in classification might help get the accommodations in the IEP met more effectively. I know it's not supposed to make a difference and it's the law that the IEP get implemented, but apparently at this school, emotional disturbance means nothing more than a behavior problem and many of them can't seem to get the point that difficult child isn't in control of as much as they think he is. I'm sending a letter CM to director of Special Education today, so maybe that will help.
  5. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    I think there are times when a change in label can be helpful. difficult child was first qualified under a speech and language label and when he crashed due to school anxiety we were looking at a far wider scope of services than the school felt could be justified with just a speech diagnosis. We also across the board felt that there were some advantages within our district that come automatically with an Autism label so we made the switch.
  6. jannie

    jannie trying to survive....

    In order to change codes, a re-evaluation meeting must take place in which the team discusses whether they suspect an additional disability and/or new information has been presented. However, I believe that in most school systems mood disorders fit into the ED classification rather than the OHI classification. I do know, however, that there are many reasons to believe it could/should fall into OHI, but rarely does. You child should really be able to recieve any/all accommodations based on his/her needs being eligible for special education. The code does not drive the services available. Good luck