changing medications

boogerloo

I have a daughter who is 9 years old and she was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 6. she has been taking Concerta since her diagnosis with gradual changes is mg. her behavior lately (last 6 months) has worsened and she has become more impuslive. she was a straight A student 1st 2nd grade and the first half of 3rd grade. the child is very intelligent. however she is becoming increasingly more distractable. her doctor wants to change her medicine and put her on Focalin. can anyone tell me if they have had any success with this one or should we try something else. thank you for listening

smallworld

Welcome!

What kind of doctor diagnosed your daughter? What kind of doctor is prescribing her medications? Does she have any co-existing conditions such as anxiety or depression? How much Concerta is she currently taking?

My son has trialed just about every stimulant for ADHD out there. He currently takes Focalin XR to help with focus on school days only. For my son, it has a smoother takeoff and landing than Concerta did. Focalin and Concerta are both methylphenidate, but Focalin is refined methylphenidate (meaning fewer side effects). Focalin XR, however, lasts for about 8 hours whereas Concerta lasts about 10 to 12 hours.

Hope that helps.

Janna

easy child is ADHD, Combined Type, taking Concerta 18 mg. We tried to up him to 27, but it was a teeny too much. We're waiting for him to grow, LOL, because I think he probably needs somewhere in between.

I don't have any experience with Focalin, but I think if you've had good luck with the Concerta for so long and your difficult child needs a little more, can't hurt to try.

Hope things work out.

busywend

Sounds like the Concerta is making her worse.

I had to try 4 different ADHD medications before finding one that works. I would be pushing the psychiatrist to start removing Concerta and starting a different one ASAP.