Chapter 2

Oh sweetie.

I am so sorry that you are hurting.

It takes a long time to get through this. I know what you mean about the good days and the bad days. I know about the lonely days when you second guess yourself, and you wonder if you might take him back during a weak moment. And I was only with my DEX for 9 years.

There is no easy answer. You do what you need to do. You know to take what works for you and leave the rest. I only gave you my experience and what worked for me.

I hope that you have a better tomorrow.

susiestar

Roll With It
Karen,

I am so sorry you are having a bad day. It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing - what is right for you!

It isn't easy. I am sorry.It :censored2:. Big Time.

I am rather glad, since he is this kind of person, that he is courteous enough to do these things in such a manner that you can find out about them. As you say, this strengthens your resolve to keep him out of your life.

In time, your life will become full of people who gravitate to you because you are a warm and caring person, a truly beautiful woman.

Hugs,

Susie

Marguerite

Hang in there, Karen. I understand your need to keep up with the goss. Just don't let it hurt you too much, okay? We worry about you too. ANd I DO like, "Yeah, I heard about that AGES ago. Now for the late news? I have more important things to worry about. Such as easy child. Seems her father thinks divorcing the wife means divorcing the kids as well."

Marg

KFld

Thanks everybody. I just had a really bad night. His newest thing is now telling people that I have a drinking problem. Sounds like he's reaching for things to tell people so he has another reason to justify what he's doing. Oh my wife is a huge drinker, and I can't be with somebody like that.

I knew something like that was coming because the day before I moved out was recycle day and he made a comment that there was 3 wine bottles in the recycle bin. I know I shouldn't have, but I explained to him that 2 of them were from when I had book club at the house and recycle only comes every two weeks. So lets see, 2 bottles of wine between 6 girls and the other one from me in two weeks. Sounds like a huge problem to me. He said this to Jills husband and he told me about it. Like Jill asked him, have you ever seen Karen drunk?? No! Have you ever seen Dave drunk? Yes many times.

He's the one who smashed into a tree in VT., spent the night in jail, lost his license for 6 months, drinks so much he gets vertigo and can't work for days, continues to drive drunk since his arrest. Lets see... Who has the drinking problem? I guess it's easier to say I have one then to admit it's him who doesn't know when to stop.

Not sure whether I should address this one with him by calling him up and telling him to stop telling people I have a drinking problem and that he's the one who doesn't know when to stop. Or if I leave it alone because the people who really know me and that I care about, know that it's him who has the problem and not me. He has said this to 2 or 3 of our mutual friends and they have all come back to me to let me know he is saying this and that they pretty much laughed at him when he said it and told him he's nuts for even thinking it.

I do feel a little better then I did last night. I got a good nights sleep so I'm not feeling as sorry for myself this morning.

I think I need to hit the Christmas tree shop today and do a little more decorating.

I hung bedroom and bathroom curtains yesterday and it really looks cute.

BBK, how is your decorating coming? Was the apartment furnished or did you have to get new stuff??

busywend

Ask him why he would tell people that you are a drunk. Just ask him. Why? Even if you were, why tell a bunch of people? Ask him, Is it because you are trying not to take the blame of this relationship ending? Tell him that is what it seems like to you.

He is not sitting home trying to figure out how to get you back because he thinks he can not. And he is apparently correct. I think that is what is making him crazy.

I am not saying he deserves you back. But, I do think there needs to be some communication - even if it is only so you both do not make the same communication mistakes in the next relationships.

I love the Christmas Tree Shoppe! Have fun shopping!

Marguerite

Don't say anything to him. It's his way of trying to gauge how much of this is getting back to you. Pretend you hear nothing, and care less.

People will believe lies, or not. He won't do what you tell/ask him - when did he ever do that?

Stand firm, tall and straight. You are a good person. YOU know the truth.

And accusing YOU of drinking? AGAIN with t he projection?

Let it ride, Karen. The people who believe him will do so anyway, nothing you can say will help. The people who know you will recognise how he condemns himself every time he opens his mouth.

Marg

I can name that tune in one note!

Why is he accusing you of being a drunk? Because HE has a drinking problem.

My DEX did the same thing when he was cheating. He found any little thing he could possibly use to accuse me of cheating on him with (and they were about as weak as the 3 wine bottles) and went on a rampage.

I wasn't cheating any more than you have a drinking problem. Men (many of them, and some women) are notorious for accusing their partners for doing the very thing that they are guilty of. I even think that there is a name for it, but it escapes me.

MY conniving DEX was so manipulative, when I accused him of cheating (with the proof in my hot little hands), HE turned things around and said "well if you are accusing me, you must have a guilty conscience, YOU must be cheating on ME."

What an SOB.

No, my new place was not furnished. I took our stuff along from the old place. I got some decor for Tink's bathroom on eBay. It is going to be all Hello Kitty. I absolutely LOVE decorating the place. Don't you? How is easy child settling in?

I can name that tune in one note!

Why is he accusing you of being a drunk? Because HE has a drinking problem.

My DEX did the same thing when he was cheating. He found any little thing he could possibly use to accuse me of cheating on him with (and they were about as weak as the 3 wine bottles) and went on a rampage.

I wasn't cheating any more than you have a drinking problem. Men (many of them, and some women) are notorious for accusing their partners for doing the very thing that they are guilty of. I even think that there is a name for it, but it escapes me.

MY conniving DEX was so manipulative, when I accused him of cheating (with the proof in my hot little hands), HE turned things around and said "well if you are accusing me, you must have a guilty conscience, YOU must be cheating on ME."

What an SOB.

No, my new place was not furnished. I took our stuff along from the old place. I got some decor for Tink's bathroom on eBay. It is going to be all Hello Kitty. I absolutely LOVE decorating the place. Don't you? How is easy child settling in?

KFld

I love decorating it also. I'm trying not to spend too much money though, but I'm finding you can decorate pretty cheap.

easy child is settling in just fine. She really likes it here and says she doesn't miss the old house a bit. It's quite a drive for her to school and work now, but she said it's worth it.

I think she kind of feels like this is our place. Just the two of us. Her and I live together so well.

How is Tink adjusting? Does she miss the old house?

My ex left for VT this morning to do stuff to the Cabin before it closes. I will go over to the house in the next few days and get a few more things I need. It's so strange going there now. When he moved out and I was living there, he would just show up, walk in the door and sit down like he still lived there. When I go there, I feel like a guest walking in the door. It's a very strange feeling. Especially because I know he has hid flavor of the week there doing who knows what.

I'm going to make sure I get everything I need so from now on I won't really need to go there for anything.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Karen, your STBX (soon to be X) seems to be digging himself a pretty fine looking hole as far as mutual friends go, nevermind yourself.

Hes a pretty pathetic specimin at this point. The true friends who know you well hearing the spouting of pure b.s. are not going to believe him, and will start to distance themselves. The ones who do believe him were probably not worth being friends with.

Unfortunately,with the way he has been behaving, I think the outing of your "drinking" LOL is going to be the first of many things brought up about "you" in the future to friends and family both in an attempt to make this split all down to being your fault and has nothing to do with him. Whats a guy supposed to do, Karen has been such a failure at A,B or C, and I just could not take it anymore. Brace yourself.

For the time being, I would be writing him letters adressing everything you are hearing (but not mailing them) and putting down on paper everything you want to tell him, giving it to him with both barrels. Its still too early and you are still too raw for any personal confrontations. Is he still attending counceling? My guess is probably not.

I wanna knock his head off his shoulders on your behalf.

Marcie

TerryJ2

So sorry you had a bad night, Karen. But this is going to have it's ups and downs and you've been doing remarkably well under the circumstances.
I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of friends or a lot of credibility, so his fabrications about you will fall on deaf ears.
Just keep breathing.

DDD

I know this sounds silly..but..make sure you look for "little"
things at the house that you may later miss. With the holidays
coming up, remember to find and take the Santa salt and pepper
shakers etc. At least for me, the little things that belonged
to my parents, my childhood and/or the childrens childhood were
the most important AND the easiest to forget to pack. One odd
thing to look for is your wedding albums and photo albums. My
wedding album got lost in the shuffle and even though I can live
without it, I feel badly that the children and grandchildren have
no way to "see" the past..including relatives that are no longer
around! DDD

PS: No, I didn't leave Ex and the house but ended up having to
sell the house a year or two later and that's when Ex and I did
the divvying.

donna723

Karen, I'm one of those who will never be convinced that he doesn't know exactly what he's doing by confiding every last little lurid detail of his "new life" to your BFF! He's channeling it all through her, knowing it's going straight back to you, just to keep that connection, to keep you involved. Before you were separated, did he find the need to confide his every move to your BFF? Obvious not, or you would have known that he was cheating! Remember, he's only telling her what he wants you to hear! It may or may not be the truth. And honestly, he sounds so much like my ex ... wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit him in the butt!

And I know it's very uncomfortable to find out that he's spreading lies about you, but try not to worry about it. My ex did that too - tried his darndest to shift the blame, accused ME of cheating, tried to make it all MY fault! And you know what? <u>Nobody</u> believed him! They knew him and they knew me and not a soul believed him. They thought it just made him look all the more pathetic! And if somebody didn't know me, I could care less what they thought. And even some that didn't know me soon figured out that he was lying, and it made him look even worse. Just try to rise above it all, don't take the bait, don't get involved or try to defend yourself. You don't need to, and anybody who matters already knows this.

JJJ

Karen,

Like DDD said, make sure you check the whole house including the attic and the garage for all the things you will miss. Pretend it is your very last chance to take things from the house and whatever is left will be STBXs. This includes any furniture that you love or has special meaning.

So sorry you are going through this,

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think maybe that is why I listen to all of it. I want to make sure in a moment of weakness, if I'm feeling sorry for myself, I have all of this stored in the back of my head so I can remind myself just how nuts I am for feeling sorry for myself. I have nothing to feel sorry for, but more and more to be thankful for that I've gotten out of.

I think you listen to it because...

You want to make sure you've made the right decision about leaving.
You are still somewhat in love with being in love - whether you still love him or not remains to be seen.
I don't think you are feeling sorry for yourself, but you want to see how sorry he is because it makes you feel better about yourself
(if you need a reminder think of the day he told you he was screwing around on you and couldn't be there for your Mom's funeral)
And (just 'cause I really care) IMVVHO
When you really figure out how thankful you are that you got out, you won't care about what he's doing or need to know - you'll just feel good about you because you are you.

BFFJill not providing information - she's fuel on the fire. If you need a laugh, go to a comedy club. And LOVED your thought about flavor of the week. But why do you care? ...because it still hurts.

Hugs for your pain - laughter at someone elses expense doesn't set you free it keeps you in the same theater.

Many Hugs
Star

ScentofCedar

There was a book I read once that talked about the way it feels when a relationship ends. We question ourselves most strongly then AND RESPOND TO OURSELVES BASED ON OLD, PUNISHING PATTERNS.

It is just like when any of us realized our kids were using drugs. Initially, we blamed ourselves ~ our parenting, our tempers, our neighborhoods or neigbors or hairstyles.

It went on and on.

We needed to learn that it was not about us.

Our children had, probably because of some genetic something, become addicted.

There was no way we could love them out of it or judge them out of it or shame or humor them out of it.

Because addiction is not about us.

What your husband is doing is not about you, Karen. As one of the others of us said, your husband is doing what men who are not able to comunicate (which first requires that we tell ourselves the truth) do.

They make the other person weaker, so they can win.

It seems to me that your husband is doing what he always did to keep you off balance. YOU were cold. YOU were a drinker. YOU were ten thousand other things he may have forgotten to mention again because it did not bother you when he did so the first time.

If you tell him anything, I think you should tell HIM the truth.

That if he wants to save this marriage, he had best get really honest, really fast because you are tired of being married all by yourself and would like to find a man to be married with.

And that you intend to do JUST that, when you are ready, because you have always wanted to be married to someone you can laugh with, and have joy with, and have wonderful dinners with ~ and you have been married all your life to someone who just cannot cut it.

Give him a time limit and watch him come running home before it is up.

Men do not think like we do.

It seems to me (because I have been in that same position :bag: ) that when we are having problems with the kids, our relationships to our husband's get put on hold ~ not the sex part, but the clearing the air, laying down the law, "where you ever got the idea you could treat me like that and park your self anywhere near here is beyond me" part.

husband's push for those kinds of boundaries.

At least, my husband does.

If I don't think I am worth fighting for, neither does he.

If I do not question the judgments my husband makes about me and, after figuring out whether whatever he said was justified, give my husband the old Come To Jesus, his comments get nastier and nastier.

My self esteem goes swirling down the toilet, and pretty soon, I can't see straight enough to realize husband was wrong to say such things to begin with.

Just as your husband is wrong to say such things.

If those things were true things, it would be too painful for your husband to use them to win, now.

Tell husband that when he is ready to talk about soething that matters, you will talk to him. Tell him that if he would like to discuss all the wonderful sex he has been having in your house, to go ahead and use his time with you to do just that ~ and then, accept the consequences, because you have just about had it with him.

If he still doesn't get it, tell him THAT is why you are divorcing him.

Not because he had sex ~ who cares really, except for the risk of disease?

But because he never knew the difference between a wife and a :censored2:.

And you want a man who does.

And you know what?

You deserve better than a husband, or an exDH, who spends even one second trying to tear you down.

Shame on him.

You would think he was two.

Barbara

rejectedmom

Your husband is trying to save face with mutual friends and aquaintances. He has so little self-confidence he makes up stories about you to diminish you in the eyes of others in an effort to elevate himself. It is hurtful and it is pure aggresion and abuse. Recognize it for what it is. You might want to consider another approach and tell him in no uncertain terms that you will sue him for slander if he doesn't stop. Or perhaps have your lawyer draft a letter to him stating you position. He has fallen into the deep deep hole called life crisis and for males it can manifest in all kinds of unplesant ways. But ignoring what he is doing or listening to the tales carried to you by "friends" makes you stay in the role of victim. That is not a healthy place to be. So stop living as his victim and put an end to his abuse and DETACH from the whole darn chaos he is trying to perpetrate onto your new life. You were able to do this with your son now you must do it with your ex if you want to be happy and healthy. HUGS -RM

Star*

call 911........call 911
Karen,

If you believed ANYTHING he has said - you would know that you are

And uptight, difficult, non-affectionate, high maintenance, drunk woman.

Then I would turn to him and go "I know you are but what am I?" eechhh

One word darlin' -

LETITGOOOoooooooooooo.

I like Marcy's interpretation STBX. more letters to be sure, but he's earned every one of them.

Hope this note finds you having a super day!
-You have LOADS of friends here-
Hugs
Star