Charities you can trust?

Pink Elephant

I was unaware that any charities still existed that could be trusted.

in my opinion, if I can't hand my monies over (personally) to the individual or individuals deserving of my monies, then I don't part with any monies.

Society has become all too eager to spend other people's hard-earned money wrongfully.

And don't even get me started on the bleeding-heart commercials that air this time of year with children from Africa sitting crying with flies in their eyes.

We had a neighbour many years ago who had so graciously signed-up for to donate monthly to support a needy child from Africa. He was sent pictures of the (so called) child, and really buttered-up by the people behind the cause, and we warned him against it.

Needless to say, some 6 or so months later, our neighbour came over to inform us that he had been taken for a ride, and poor fella was in tears. He was on a fixed income and really couldn't afford it, yet he still felt the need to help.

Shame on our world!

BusynMember

I think there are good charities and am very caring of people and animals in distress.

If I get cheated a time or two, at least I meant well. I have done a lot of volunteering and know there are good places out there that do not abuse our money and thats why I asked the question. The only monthly gift I give is to the humane society and that is $10 month, but I often give for particular causes when needed, if I feel moved to do so. Most are small and volunteer run and never on TV, with the exception being to the Humane Society.

And I am a sucker for the homeless. If I see one on the street, call me a fool, but I usually give a few bucks. That could be anyone's child. Again, if I err, I meant well. I follow my heart. If I lose a few bucks, I still meant well and I never give more than I can afford. I believe in sharing what I have, but I am smart enough not to believe a scam and give all I have. That is the fault in my opinion of the person who doesn't check things out and gives more than he/she can afford.

No offense to that man, but why did he give more money than he had?

There is giving from the heart, and just not being smart. I will never stop sharing the little I have. And I will never go broke doing it.

Humane Society commercials make me cry. I have to mute them. I love animals and have volunteered at our humane society after it became no-kill. I want to retire doing charity work for animals.

I am more ashamed of a world that has no heart. Old Hand, you are kind, and I am not talking about you. Not at all. I am just, in this time of hopefully heightened awareness about those in need, wanting to know about smaller charities that need a little help now and again. I do only what I can.

I am wishing everyone happy holidays and solstice!!! You are all great and are good and well meaning!

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I think there are good charities and am very caring of people and animals in distress.

If I get cheated a time or two, at least I meant well. I have done a lot of volunteering and know there are good places out there that do not abuse our money and thats why I asked the question. The only monthly gift I give is to the humane society and that is $10 month, but I often give for particular causes when needed, if I feel moved to do so. Most are small and volunteer run and never on TV, with the exception being to the Humane Society.

And I am a sucker for the homeless. If I see one on the street, call me a fool, but I usually give a few bucks. That could be anyone's child. Again, if I err, I meant well. I follow my heart. If I lose a few bucks, I still meant well and I never give more than I can afford. I believe in sharing what I have, but I am smart enough not to believe a scam and give all I have. That is the fault in my opinion of the person who doesn't check things out and gives more than he/she can afford.

There is giving from the heart, and just not being smart. I will never stop sharing the little I have. And I will never go broke doing it.

Humane Society commercials make me cry. I have to mute them. I love animals and have volunteered at our humane society after it became no-kill. I want to retire doing charity work for animals.

I am more ashamed of a world that has no heart. Old Hand, you are kind, and I am not talking about you. Not at all. I am just, in this time of hopefully heightened awareness about those in need, wanting to know about smaller charities that need a little help now and again. I do only what I can.

I am wishing everyone happy holidays and solstice!!! You are all great and are good and well meaning!

Pink Elephant

I think some people's hearts bleed seeing such hardship, that's why the commercials are set up like they are, to hang a guilt-trip over people. Even a small percentage allows those organizations to run with people's money.

No, unless I can hand my monies over directly to those I am seeking to help, no monies will be given.

Pink Elephant

I read and hear about it all the time, where 90%, even 100% of donations are eaten-up by administration costs. Monies that had no right going to anyone other than those in need, yet the fat cats can't line their pockets fast enough! Despicable.

BusynMember

I respectfully disagree that all charities are disreputable. You are thinking of certain (not all or most) big charities. Look st St. Jude! It saved so many lives. Their commercial is appropriate, showing us what they do and how they help. They NEED donations to keep doing what they do.

But mostly I am not looking at big charities. I have worked for charitable organizations and most got very little money and appreciated every dime. There were no paid administrators, just volunteers. The money went straight to the cause. Even more, they appreciated the volunteers.

One place I volunteered for was in a small church which ran a charity in the basement. The church accepted clothing and small household items, used, so that the needy could "shop" during certain hours . Clients could fill one brown paper bag, come back once a week, and did have to show proof of income. The volunteers, like me, opened the donation bags, sorted sizes, tossed out anything dirty or torn up and set them out on the floor in an attractive way. The five other ladies and I had a great time. This church also had twice a year clothing drives and I helped load the boxes of clothing on trucks. They went to a small country...i am rmbarassed that I can't remember the country. I know they did recruit small extra giving for mules and goats for the natives but cash offerings of any amount was voluntary.

Now this church mostly handles feeding meals to the hungry. Local places donate day old food.

If a person is cheated by a charity organization, it is usually a big one and also due to the person foolishly giving more than they have to give and not checking out the charity. It is important for us to take care of ourselves and check.

I do not believe everyone is evil, out to cheat us and that for that reason we should never stretch our hearts. And I do cry at sad commercials that show us the ugliness in this world. I guess we have different views of life, which is okay.

Because I don't want this to turn political, which I am afraid is happening, I will end this thread and thank the people who gave me ideas.

If you know of a great but struggling charity with my interests please private message me. Also if you live near Mission Texas, where husband and me are going to stay in part of our RV travels, please let me know about any animal rescues there!

Thanks to all. :)

Last edited: