Charities you can trust?

BusynMember

I am on many email lists for charities that help animals and the homeless in all parts of the world. Hub told me he heard Red Cross donations go A LOT to the CEO.
Does anyone know good charities that are very reputable? I tend to read a sad story than donate...i would like to be more informed about which charities use donations mostly for the animals or the people it claims to help.

Any good charities you know about? Thank you.

AppleCori

I just have to put in a good word for Marley’s Mutts Pawsitive Change program....

They take dogs from “death row” and pair them with California prison inmates, who train them and then the dogs get put up for adoption.

It is a good program that helps both the animals and the humans at the same time. The inmates must apply, and it is not easy to be selected, but the ones who do get into the program have some life-changing experiences. The men learn valuable skills, teamwork, empathy, etc. as they have to go through the training before they are allowed to train a dog.

I love the way that prisoners get a chance to learn to do something positive, while rescuing dogs.

The program is geared toward making a positive change in the lives of inmates and hopefully reduce recidivism.

The dogs get a second chance at life, get training (always monitored to ensure the proper methods are used) and then, when they are finished, get to go to a great family who will care for them.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
What about going to the BBB web site? I refer to it often to find out if companies have any bad reports.

BusynMember

Thanks for the dog inmate suggestion. I am a big fan of the show Pit bulls and Parolees and they have showed programs like that up close!

I have checked "good" and "naughty" lists online. There are so many!! That's why I asked for more personal answers. My huge passions are animals and homeless/impoverished people. My heart bleeds for both. Thanks!

Jabberwockey

I just have to put in a good word for Marley’s Mutts Pawsitive Change program....

Missouri Department of Corrections has a similar program. They deal with rescue dogs and re-home them and sometimes even train them to be assistance dogs. Even with the amount of screening, you get the occasional idiot but all in all, a good program. I'd guess that most states have this. As a matter of fact, the female institutions do the same thing but with cats.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I read an awful story about the Red Cross during the recent flooding in Texas. There was a group of people who had collected all kinds of stuff, they took it to their church where they were going to work on donating it out. The Red Cross came in and took it all. They said there was some kind of law that allowed them to do this which turned out to not be true. There was another story about a group of people who made a bunch of sandwiches, they took them to a place where the Red Cross had set up to help people and they would not allow the sandwiches to be distributed.

I donate to St. Jude's hospital.

BusynMember

I really like the dog/parolee idea and will drfinitely see if we have one in Wisconsin. That helps both animals and troubled men, so many who struggle like so many of our difficult children and I like the idea of giving them a chance. I believe animals are extremely healing.

St. Jude is probably the most worthwhile charity there is. I need to get on their mailing list so I can remember to give to them. Thanks for reminding me. My close friend's son has cancer...they help them so much.

On Red Cross, I heard similar horror stories about Red Cross during the tragic hurricanes and flooding in Texas. I had given a few bucks to them to try to help in any way. After I heard the stories, never again. I actually heard the Red Cross stopped or tried to stop civilians from going in to help with their own boats and supplies. I don't know if this actually hsppened...a person told me though...it turned me off.

Last edited:

ksm

My guess that this was individuals using the credibility of the Red Cross as a cover for theft and not the Red Cross themselves. Or possibly unscrupulous volunteers.

It's a liability issue with food prepared elsewhere and then if the RC distributes it they would be responsible for any illnesses. I have taken the sheltering and food classes thru the RC and even volunteered after hurricanes and drove the ERV and delivered food.

The Sourhern Baptists group works along side of the RC. They set up an amazing out door kitchens in a parking lot and can be serving food in just a few hours! Ksm

KTMom91

I've been staying "local" for years. There's a no-kill animal shelter Hubby and I consistently donate to, and a hospice that also runs a thrift store. We donate our items to them and shop in their store.

BusynMember

I often stay local, but if I see a post about a dog who was abused, needs surgery now and needs donations, I will usually help out no matter where the poor dog is at.

susiestar

Roll With It
Best Friends Animal Shelter is amazing.

I always donate to the Salvation Army instead of the Red Cross. I have seen what they do and how they do it. Not so much with animals, but more with people.

Another animal based group that I strongly support is Heifer International. They give animals to families in 3rd world countries to help support them. It is truly amazing how the gift of a goat or a cow can totally change the future of a family. My kids did lemonade stands at church one summer to buy goats for Heifer International.

If you or your husband works for a company, always check to see if they do matching funds for donations. This is something that many companies don't advertise but they do. It means that they will match anything you donate to charity, which is a nice bonus.

LittleDudesMom

I have been giving to St Judes for years. I love that no family is turned away and are provided what ever they need during their child's stay. I also admire that they share their findings and their research and just ask that results are shared with them. I love this organization!

BusynMember

Susie, I love Best Friends, have donated, and in 2019 when we RV for the first time, I want to visit! Utah, right?
I was also once a church member at a Wesylyn (sic) Church that donated goats to third world country folks so am aware of the immense difference it can make in the life of a family in the third world.

Love these suggestions!

I always stuff money for the Salvation Army. I don't agree with all their views, but I know they do so much good...that is my primary concern. Honestly, December is my biggest donation month! I give to a lot, although can't afford large amounts.

Again, St. Jude is King.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Ok this is not exactly a charity however. For every pair of socks you buy his company donates a pair to the homeless. A lot of people are getting socks from me this Christmas.
Bombas

BusynMember

Thanks. I got a lot of Christmas gifts from Hendrickson@Co. because for each item you buy, a percentage is given to animal rescues all over the country. They help fundraise and I am on their email list.
These places that give when you buy are in my opinion great for gift buying!

Last edited:

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Thanks. I got a lot of Christmas gifts from Hendrickson @ Co. Because for each item you buy, a percentage is given to animal rescues all over. They help fundraise and I am on tjeir email lost.
These places that give when you buy are in my opinion great for gift buying!
I agree SWOT. The storey about the socks made me cry. The things we simply don’t think about.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Best Friends Animal Shelter is amazing.

I always donate to the Salvation Army instead of the Red Cross. I have seen what they do and how they do it. Not so much with animals, but more with people.

Another animal based group that I strongly support is Heifer International. They give animals to families in 3rd world countries to help support them. It is truly amazing how the gift of a goat or a cow can totally change the future of a family. My kids did lemonade stands at church one summer to buy goats for Heifer International.

If you or your husband works for a company, always check to see if they do matching funds for donations. This is something that many companies don't advertise but they do. It means that they will match anything you donate to charity, which is a nice bonus.

Susie, Salvation Army openly discriminates against LGBTQ+ folks, both in their hiring and in terms of helping them. I do not donate to them, and while I am not Christian, I cannot see anyone who counts themselves Christian donating to an organization that believes that only some of god's created souls are worthy of help in times of travail.

Also, as a long term donor to Heifer, I was disturbed to find stories of recipients of animals sitting out armed to protect their animals beint taken by force, or even being killed defending the herds they had started with donations, or the businesses they had started/grown with same. In a lot of cases, apparently, t he animals are not suitable for the environments they are purchased for (holstein cattle for Africa rather than Ankole cattle for example) I normally make a large gift to Heifer at this time of year, but am holding off until I can get more information on how much of what I've begun hearing is true.