Cheap, easy, warm recipe!

nvts

My kids went to lunch with my BFF Grandma several weeks ago to Bennigans and she ordered "Baked Potato Soup". They've been after me ever since to make it for them.

I CHEATED and it worked! A 5 minute investment of time tasted like I cooked for HOURS!

1 can of condensed creamy potato soup
1 can of milk
dehydrated minced onion
bacon bits
shredded cheddar cheese (you know, the bagged kind)

Heat up the soup like usual, shake in some minced onion, bacon bits to taste and cook for about 5 mins so the onion swells. Pour it in a bowl for each, sprinkle a little cheese on the top to "fancy it up" and (to quote difficult child 2) WALLA! baked potato soup!

Anybody else have the dreaded "quickie" recipes going on?

Beth

trinityroyal

You betcha!

I've been making HUGE tureens of "seafood chowder" lately.
Like you, I cheat. Here's how.

3 cans condensed cream of mushroom
1 can condensed cream of chicken
1 can condensed tomato
(feel free to swap these out with other flavours. Sometimes I use cream of broccoli, cream of celery, etc. As long as I have 5 cans of whatever)
1 can chopped crab meat
1 small bag frozen salad shrimp
(again, swap out for whatever seafood you have on hand. I have substituted chunks of tinned salmon, leftover chicken pieces, a bag of frozen scallops...)
Whatever fresh or frozen vegetables you have on hand, chopped (fine or coarse...your preference)
2 soup cans of milk (you can substitute chicken broth for the milk if you don't want the chowder to be as rich)
3 or 4 small cooking onions, chopped, or the equivalent in dehydrated onion bits

Heat a large pot, add some cooking oil (whatever kind)
Throw in all of the vegetables and cook until tender.
Add the seafood
Start adding the condensed soup. Add one tin at a time and stir until evenly distributed throughout.
Add the milk (or chicken broth)
If the soup seems too thick, add more milk or broth.
Keep it simmering until you are happy with the tenderness of the vegetables.

I usually serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top, but you don't have to.

This recipe makes about 15 to 20 servings, depending on how big a soup bowl you use. If you use frozen veg, then there's no chopping involved.

This is one of those...prepare on the weekend and eat all week dishes.

Trinity

trinityroyal

I just thought of another one that I make regularly

"French onion" soup.

Enough cans of condensed onion soup to feed your group.
Enough slices of bread to match the number of bowls of soup.
A couple handfuls of grated cheese. (I usually use mozzarella, but any type of cheese works)

Add water to the soup and heat through, according to package directions.

Take a large mug. Using it like a cookie cutter, cut out a round from each slice of bread.
Throw them in the toaster until golden brown. (You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them under the broiler.)

Serve the soup into bowls, float the toast rounds on top. Toss on a little bit of grated cheese. Put the soup bowl, with toast and grated cheese into the microwave and melt for about 30 to 45 seconds.

Voila! "French" onion soup, without the 3 to 4 hours it's supposed to take.

Oh. I usually chop up the leftover bread pieces and make croutons, and then put them in the salad I make to go with the soup.

Trinity

Lothlorien

Beth, if you want to give it more of a fresher potatoey flavor, put leftover mashed potatoes in the soup. I always make extra mashed potatoes and use it in a can of potato soup the next day or potato pancakes. Yum!

nvts

These sound great! What's going to be best about them is that I can try them out and if they fly with the demons I can print them out, pick up the stuff and BFF Gramma can make them while I'm in the hospital!

One less worry! :D

Beth

mstang67chic

Going Green
For this time of year, I like my "quick" veggie soup.

1 large can of tomato juice (64 oz I think....the big ones that you buy to drink)
1 can each of whatever veggie you want (or the equivelant in frozen) I usually use peas, corn and sometimes green beans. DO NOT DRAIN

Browned ground meat...I use beef but you could use whatever you wanted....turkey, venison...whatever

Depending on my mood and pantry inventory....I will also throw in a handful or two of macaroni noodles or some peeled, cubed potato. (CHEAT TIP: Keep a can or two of whole potatoes on hand and just use those)

Seasoning to taste....onion (fresh or dried), pepper, garlic, etc.

Simmer till noodles are done if you added those....or till hot

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Cheap and easy... reminds me of a roommate I used to know...

Gonna hafta try me summa that baked potato soup... YUM!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This idea must have stuck in my head yesterday because I chopped up all the veggies in my fridge, added a bunch of potatoes and some leeks from the farmer's market last week and voila! I had a potato/vegetable soup that was delicious and hearty. H brought home some great bread from the market and we had a nice quiet meal. I can't wait to go home at lunchtime, I'm having leftovers!