Cherishing Relationships, Cultivating Love

Scent of Cedar *

This is you, my dear CD friends. Clearing the rubble from my heart and mind, helping me to see there is a way to pick up the pieces from this great loss we all suffer with our d cs. Helping me to clear the way towards rebuilding. Towards setting right what had gone so terribly wrong these many years, the turmoil of it, the constancy of the pelting rains of addictive behavior, in my very household. The resulting flash flood of emotion and breakdown. The deep chasm of loss and grief.
Gone.
Gone with my d cs, as I have built up the strength of acceptance through coming here, posting and writing and sharing and daring to dream of peace.

Though my children are out there. Gone.

Are your girls together, Leafy?

Would you feel comfortable posting a little about them?

There was a conversation on P.E. some time back, about the Hero's Journey. About the destiny of each of our children, and of each of us as parents, and our dreams, and our brokenness. About how those pieces could possibly fit together. I think that may have been the conversation where we touched on that concept of "the joy underlying all things".

That it was right there, the joy, all along. But it wasn't like we could just scent it in the air like we used to. We needed to see it first and then, we could claim it.

So, we could have it, even now, even with everything we were so sure of, gone.

Gone.

Ouch.

Ouch that word, Leafy.

That is the worst word.

How to put a life together around the real of that terrible word.

Seen in this way that holds no answer and no longer even poses any questions, it could be a possible thing that what is happening to our kids is their Hero's Journey. I wonder if I can find words to catch the nuances, here. Not that we see their suffering or our own and rationalize it through some weird fatalism, but that we consider that thinking about the hero's journey and about what it is we all are doing here as we go about our lives. This thinking helped me let go of the bitterness in it, just a little.

Sometimes, I think about that phrase: At the touch of Eternity, we will know. Sometimes, I find comfort there.

I am not so particular, anymore, about where I find comfort.

The bitter recrimination, the need for someone to be punished for what was lost, for what was taken.

It helps me with that, to think of what my children have lost in that way of the Hero's Journey, Leafy. When I am very heartbroken, it helps me to think of it that way.

Certainly, our troubled kids are responding to challenges that are horrific in their destructive power.
There is so much pain in it for us and for them and there is loss of integrity and dignity, finally. And there is no laughter in our homes or in our hearts anymore and then, the kids come clear. And they have lost the time of preparation, and they have nothing and we have nothing left to give. Another layer of dyspeptic pain ~ like, a sour stomach compared to an amputation, but pain, nonetheless.

And sadness.

Do you know the legend of Isis, Leafy? Searching through Eternity for the pieces of her dismembered child.

It is the organs of regeneration that are missing, that were never found, yet.

It always breaks my heart to think of that story.

The organs of regeneration; of hope.

Gone.

So, that is the dream that was so real to us. That is what is gone, that is what we mourn. A thing that never was. We chart a different course, but since we never once envisioned ourselves in this strange and crummy land we don't even know which way to go.

So we will just take a step, then.

Since there are no answers and there is no end to this it seems, we will just take a step, then.

I read once that: If we would be healthy, study health.

So, our steps will be in the direction of health and of strength and we will let go of outcome.

Cedar

We used to call our troubled children Gifts From God, Leafy. It was funny, and it described our frustration, but also a truth. I am glad to be reminded sometimes how immovable is the place in the heart that we live from, when our children suffer.

Lest it take me by surprise.

Gone.

Ouch.

Scent of Cedar *

Oh roar, I have an answer, Leafy!

So, I went back to the "To Tell the Truth" thread. I knew there would be something there for me, but I didn't know what it was. It was Headlight Mom's comment, made on a different thread altogether and that I had quoted on that thread, that I needed. I did not know that was it until, rereading that thread, I saw it ~ saw her comment, again:

"Lest I grow cold about him or let his ugly behaviors devour me. Sometimes, it's the only gratitude I have for him. So...I'll take it."

Again, that was Headlight's Mom. I don't know whether she is even here with us any longer, but I have never forgotten what she posted that day.

And that was the thing I needed: Gratitude

"Lest I grow cold...or let his ugly behaviors devour me."

Always, always I need to remember, need to keep the beacon of it right there in front of me, where I am going and why and how I want to be when I get there, when I am done.

Gratitude.

That's the answer, Leafy, the beacon. Where we want to get.

Gratitude, "Lest I grow cold, and let his ugly behaviors devour me."

Headlights Mom's son had given her some small thing, something when we was a little boy, maybe. And she kept it in her bathroom I think, to remind her about love and about gratitude and about our responsibilities to ourselves in all this.

"Lest I grow cold..."

Cedar

New Leaf

Are your girls together, Leafy?

Would you feel comfortable posting a little about them?
My two were once very close. I think the addiction caused them to eventually betray one another in various forms and instances. They are not together. The last I knew, they despised one another, each saying the others choice of drug was worse.
How interesting, to eventually point fingers at one another in the blame game. They did not look at themselves, only each other. Perhaps in horror, for each was reflecting the others image that they were trying to avoid in the first place. Huh
There was a conversation on P.E. some time back, about the Hero's Journey. About the destiny of each of our children, and of each of us as parents, and our dreams, and our brokenness. About how those pieces could possibly fit together. I think that may have been the conversation where we touched on that concept of "the joy underlying all things".
Yes Cedar, I have had to look at this as a path they are taking. I will not awfullize about it. If I have faithfully given them back to their Maker, in my saying 'Here Lord, please take them and watch over them, for I cannot solve this."
Then, I must believe they are on a journey to their enlightenment. One day the pieces will fit.

Gone.

Ouch.

Ouch that word, Leafy.

That is the worst word.

How to put a life together around the real of that terrible word.
Actually, I was writing of the feelings of hopelessness and the desperation, gone. My d cs are out there. I have had no contact for four months now. I am quite the opposite of Feelings experience. I do not think of all of the what ifs and so on. Not to say Feeling is wrong, we all have to go through our own emotions. Gone in the sense that all of the worry and pain and frustration, is gone.
Now to set my house right, and rebuild. That was the sense of the true story I wrote about when the flash floods came and ripped away in an instant, everything we had planted.

The flood is the drugs, really. What we had built with our d cs was ripped away by drugs.

We could not sit by and wait for the National Guard to come and save us Cedar, we had to dig ourselves out of the mess. When they did come, they were shocked at what we had accomplished. They said that other folks had sat in their homes, waiting to be rescued.

My d cs on drugs was a mess in my home. I suppose I had to go through enabling to realize that, to grow from it, to understand that I was not helping them. I could not help them.
Just as I could not stop the rains and the path of the water and the massive mudslide, and the gorge.
But I could dig myself out. Rebuild, replant. I did not do that without help. You folks have helped me tremendously in the digging out.

Seen in this way that holds no answer and no longer even poses any questions, it could be a possible thing that what is happening to our kids is their Hero's Journey. I wonder if I can find words to catch the nuances, here. Not that we see their suffering or our own and rationalize it through some weird fatalism, but that we consider that thinking about the hero's journey and about what it is we all are doing here as we go about our lives. This thinking helped me let go of the bitterness in it, just a little.
Heros Journey, that puts a positive light on it. Huh.
It helps me with that, to think of what my children have lost in that way of the Hero's Journey, Leafy. When I am very heartbroken, it helps me to think of it that way.
It is a good way Cedar. The Prodigal Son. I just wrote a post where Carolita was mentioning Naranon, and how they say the end result in addiction could be death.
Isn't that also the end result of life?
Hello. It is like telling someone,
"Well, you have put on some weight, haven't you?
I be like "What, do you think I do not have a mirror?"
That is my snarky surfer mode, by the way. Once I was out surfing and I was a bit chunky. One of my surfer buds in his greeting, looked at my rotundness and remarked 'What sistah, you going have one moa?"
I snapped back with a smile "No brah, I am not pregnant, just fat, and you have learned not to ask the forbidden question."
I laughed and paddled away.
But that is another story.

Certainly, our troubled kids are responding to challenges that are horrific in their destructive power.
There is so much pain in it for us and for them and there is loss of integrity and dignity, finally. And there is no laughter in our homes or in our hearts anymore and then, the kids come clear. And they have lost the time of preparation, and they have nothing and we have nothing left to give. Another layer of dyspeptic pain ~ like, a sour stomach compared to an amputation, but pain, nonetheless.
Yes the pain Cedar, it is horrible, but I am learning to move past that.
Like the pain of childbirth. I gave birth naturally, to each of my children. I suppose all of this is like the pain of childbirth, it is unimaginable to one who has not experienced it, but surpassable through breathing techniques, visualization and movement. Hospitals force us to stay in bed during childbirth, it is the most asinine thing. To force one to be still in that much pain, when gravity and movement and distraction is what a birthing mother needs. Distraction and focus at the same time.
And then the child is born, and all of the previous suffering melts away with the glory of them held in our arms.
I shall think on this Cedar.
The Heros Journey.
Yes, my children are discovering themselves.
Interesting to compare that I chose to birth naturally, to keep drugs from harming my unborn babes, and here they are as adults on a self discovery with drugs.

The organs of regeneration; of hope.

Gone.
I do want you to understand that when I mentioned gone, I meant the pain, the guilt, the feeling that I could fix them, gone.
So, that is the dream that was so real to us. That is what is gone, that is what we mourn. A thing that never was. We chart a different course, but since we never once envisioned ourselves in this strange and crummy land we don't even know which way to go.

So we will just take a step, then.
My step is that I have given my children over to God. I must think of the glory and power of his being, and that he will look after my d cs on their journey, and help them, guide them in a way I never could. For they are adults, and they must learn to rely on themselves and a higher power.

So, our steps will be in the direction of health and of strength and we will let go of outcome.
Yes Cedar, we have to look at health and strength, take care of ourselves.
We used to call our troubled children Gifts From God, Leafy. It was funny, and it described our frustration, but also a truth. I am glad to be reminded sometimes how immovable is the place in the heart that we live from, when our children suffer.
Yes Cedar, they suffer, suffering can be thought of as the fire that hones us. There is much to be learned from suffering. Not that I would wish it on anyone or myself, but there is a lesson in everything.

That's the answer, Leafy, the beacon. Where we want to get.

Gratitude, "Lest I grow cold, and let his ugly behaviors devour me."
The beacon, the light house. I see it clearly and we must make our way there. We are making our way there. Look at Feelings latest posts, and Copas, and yours. What a journey we have been on together.
I am thankful every day for finding CD.

I am thankful for my warrior sisters.

Amen

leafy

New Leaf

I must tell you this quickly, I have to go to work.

In the afternoon yesterday, upon coming home, I noticed yoga pants hanging on my clothesline. They are not mine sisters, they smell of my eldest's perfume. She has been here in our absence. Perhaps showered in our hose outside, washed clothes, for our washing machine and laundry soap are outside.
I do not like this. It is lurking.

My youngest girl said, "Get a restraining order Mom." But I know they will not give me one.

And now I must leave my house. Locked and unattended.
She has broken in before.
Stolen from us.
Brought her scary street friends over.

It is another chapter in this book I am writing.

I am offended.
It is a violation.
I do not know any other way to think of it.

I have not seen or heard from her. I do not know her frame of mind.
I am not spinning, or spiraling, just aware from past experience.

I must ready myself for work,
and be ready for what is to come.

Lord.
Please.
Help.

Deep, deep breaths and a heavy sigh.

nervousleafy

New Leaf

Huh in an instant God has taught me a lesson. Here I am writing that my experience is not the same as sister Feelings, smack! "Oh but it is" saith the Lord, and He showed me. I am sorry Feeling if my comparison seemed prideful. That was not intended. I shall do better next time. I meant that I do not worry for my eldest on the streets. I worry more when she is around, on drugs. She is a danger to us and our household.
It is the other side of the yellow snow image Cedar. She sees herself as alpha. In one of her last outbursts her back turned to me walking down the driveway she yelled as her hand flipped me off, " When Dad dies, you will never get this house, this is MY house, MINE!"

The leaving of the pants, the other side of yellowed snow. "I have been here, and you cannot stop me."

Now God is showing me how much I am similar to my sister Feeling. It is the electricity incident. But it is her pants, she has been to our house when we were at work. Instead of locking myself in the house and fearing, I have to leave my house and fear.
So, problem, solutions.
Amazingly a parent just shared that her child may come to the health room complaining of stomach ache because they had been recently robbed. In the ensuing conversation she mentioned a security company relatively inexpensive. I will look in to it. If I should see my daughter, I will tell her it is unacceptable for her to come around the house when we are not at home. She must visit on our terms.
I feel a bit better now.
Whew
Sigh
leafy

New Leaf

In the work of cherishing relationships and cultivating love I am reminded that we cannot give from empty.
Just as in gardening, the basis of any good end result from planting is the health of the soil. Soil needs to be replenished, healthy soil=healthy plants.
In this discussion, borrowing from my hubs culture the word for land or earth is aina literally, that which feeds.
I would like us to compare ourselves in the garden analogy to the soil. Building on the concept that every good gardener will make sure the soil has all of the right nutrients and components to growing healthy plants.
We are the soil, that which feeds, in our giving of ourselves in cherished relationships. In order to give, to love completely, we must take care of ourselves, nurture ourselves, rebuild ourselves. We must cultivate love for ourselves.

I stumbled upon an article here
http://zenhabits.net/25-killer-actions-to-boost-your-self-confidence/
that I thought, had some great advice to rebuild and nurture myself.

Interestingly, part of soil building is adding compost, plant waste, manure. I will not say fertilizer ( because I am trying to grow my literal garden organically).

Could these things represent the challenges in our lives that help us to grow? The proverbial :poop: we go through that eventually enriches us because we will not allow it to break us down?
As we go about our lives, giving of ourselves to our significant others, our jobs, our household, what do we do to replenish ourselves, so that we may love fully?

What do you all do to build up your "soil"?
leafy

BusynMember

Leafy, I have been gone a lot since you first posted here.

Your heartfelt posts and eloquence gives me goosebumps. I really feel you and hope the best for you.

New Leaf

Leafy, I have been gone a lot since you first posted here.

Your heartfelt posts and eloquence gives me goosebumps. I really feel you and hope the best for you.
Why thank you so much, dearest Serenity. I think the same of you, reading your posts. I hope you are feeling much better every day and healing. It is hard work, healing from an accident.

One day at a time, we will all get there.
Malama pono (take care)
leafy

Scent of Cedar *

Interestingly, part of soil building is adding compost, plant waste, manure. I will not say fertilizer ( because I am trying to grow my literal garden organically).

Did you know Leafy that the common dung beetle, rolling her eggs around in a ball of dung, was the sacred scarab, symbol of rebirth, to the ancient Egyptians?

Manure as medium of organic growth.

I have been wanting to start a compost bin, but here especially, they say there are snakes who like them very much, too. Maybe that is one of those things I am telling myself so I do not begin. I am thinking of three or four beginning things. I read somewhere that to create successfully, our intention must be up and running within 30 days. This will keep us focused, and give us an end date in the event that we are not finding the source of enrichment we sought in beginning the activity. The advice also was: Just do it. It will be bad at first, however meticulous the planning. To master anything takes 10,000 hours. Those who devote that time master whatever has held their interest to mastery level.

I read again the portion of your posting for us having to do with our intention. The writer noted The Golden Rule as his or her intention. So, this is mine. It has been mine for many years. It is the Benedictine motto, or one of them:

Cherish, honor, promote, protect.

Another, written beneath a photograph of Winter in a climate where winter lasts months too long and is many degrees below zero: "Ice and snow, praise the Lord."

So, that is a little like "When chopping onions, just chop onions."

Speaking slowly is mentioned in your article. This is a true thing, along with the idea that if we are going to gesture, make our gestures large and confident ones. Posture was addressed, and of course that is key. Here is a ballet tip regarding posture: Imagine air between every vertebrae; air effortlessly elevating the motion of every joint. When a dancer does what she does, it is the air around her holding her up. The other side of that is that you know when you are positioning correctly because it is painful. Soon, you hear pain and adjust and hear more and then, you are moving, strong and certain, the air around you effortlessly holding you up.

Pain does that, for the dancer.

There are those who name dance moving meditation.

I wonder how that intimate exchange during which we direct and follow our pain, listening so intentionally that some living, moving, breathtaking thing is created, applies to what we do, here?

I am going to change my avatar again, I think.

Thank you for posting this for us, Leafy.

Cedar

New Leaf

Did you know Leafy that the common dung beetle, rolling her eggs around in a ball of dung, was the sacred scarab, symbol of rebirth, to the ancient Egyptians?

Manure as medium of organic growth.
I am thinking of SWOTS recent post from her thread "Embrace the Mat"
I will embrace my past and my FOO. I would not be ME if they had not been THEM. I like who I am so there is good in learning to deal with chronic maltreatment and being belittled. I really believe that.
Manure as a medium of organic growth. So she is taking the literal:poop: she grew up with as and viewing it as her growing medium. I think it is awesome. We have no control over our past, we can only control our attitudes about it. So we might as well embrace it.
And Copa, sending her sister a birthday email, in spite of a possible snarky reply. That is huge.
I have been wanting to start a compost bin, but here especially, they say there are snakes who like them very much, too. Maybe that is one of those things I am telling myself so I do not begin.
In every problem there is a solution. I would bet your local agricultural college would have some answers for that Cedar. I started to compost here, my daughter was learning about environmental issues. The amount of waste we produce. Reduce, reuse, recycle. I think this is very appropriate for our discussion. How do we take our waste, and turn it into something useful, to build our soil?
Coffee grinds, tea bags, vegetable trimmings. All breaking down into lovely, healthy compost. The plants and worms just flourish from things that we normally discard in the rubbish. Isn't that something? The circle of life.
Like wise, how do we take our difficult experiences and turn them around to something that enriches us?
Embrace the mat, nice work SWOT.

I read somewhere that to create successfully, our intention must be up and running within 30 days. This will keep us focused, and give us an end date in the event that we are not finding the source of enrichment we sought in beginning the activity. The advice also was: Just do it. It will be bad at first, however meticulous the planning.
Just do it. I think my Dad originated that saying. Really. We would go for long jogs, and he would tell me all about the importance of breathing in jogging. Not to over exert yourself, one should be able to converse when jogging. So we did. I would tell him about my hopes and dreams and he would say "Just do it." Huh. That was before Nike claimed it.

I read again the portion of your posting for us having to do with our intention. The writer noted The Golden Rule as his or her intention. So, this is mine. It has been mine for many years. It is the Benedictine motto, or one of them:

Cherish, honor, promote, protect.
This is important Cedar, thank you for this. It has to do with ourselves too, you know, how we take care of ourselves. Treat other people the way you would be treated. This has as much to do with us, as it has to do with how we treat others. How do we treat ourselves? How do we allow ourselves to be treated? This has a lot to do with enabling, and how we have been treated by our d cs. The things we allow. If we do not respect ourselves enough to stop mistreatment, how can anyone else give us due respect?

Posture was addressed, and of course that is key. Here is a ballet tip regarding posture: Imagine air between every vertebrae; air effortlessly elevating the motion of every joint. When a dancer does what she does, it is the air around her holding her up. The other side of that is that you know when you are positioning correctly because it is painful. Soon, you hear pain and adjust and hear more and then, you are moving, strong and certain, the air around you effortlessly holding you up.
Ohhh posture. It pains me to see the youngsters sit all scrunchy. When I teach paddling, posture is so important. Parents do not demand good posture like they did in the old days. Posture has everything to do with everything. How our spine aligns, our organs are placed, that is inward, body mechanics. Do you know there are sports institutes that examine athletes posture and can break down piece by piece from foot placement, knee, hip angle, and see propensity for injury? Posture is also important because it projects how we look and feel about ourselves. It is key.
There are those who name dance moving meditation.
I believe this to be true.

I wonder how that intimate exchange during which we direct and follow our pain, listening so intentionally that some living, moving, breathtaking thing is created, applies to what we do, here?
I think it applies in every way Cedar.
I believe everything we think and do sends a resonance, deep throughout the universe.
Like a pebble thrown into a still pond.

I think that is why our children simultaneously have reappeared.

How strange is that?

am going to change my avatar again, I think.

Thank you for posting this for us, Leafy.
What will your avatar be Cedar? I will miss Wizard of Oz, but am excited to see what you choose.

Your welcome Cedar.
I hope we all continue to work very hard at loving and replenishing ourselves.
It will open up new worlds, and help us examine our endless possibilities, our presence.

leafy

New Leaf

Okay I don't know why I dreamt and thought of Winnie the Pooh. Maybe it's all this talk about compost and manure and my desire to get to a simpler life. Manure-Pooh.
I just stumbled on an article about a book. It can be found here http://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html
It is an interesting concept, Taoism explained through Winnie the Pooh. Huh. All this talk about Pooh.

leafy

New Leaf

It is an interesting concept, Taoism explained through Winnie the Pooh. Huh. All this talk about Pooh.
I must confess, in reading through this book quickly online, that I like the concept, more than what I get through the book.

winnie-the-pooh-piglet-what-day-is-it.jpeg

I like Winnie the Pooh.

That said, it is enough, the Pooh books.

Have a wonderful today friends.

leafy

New Leaf

One more thought, before I go, or really a question, what is love?

Through my hubs culture, this answer

A.L.O.H.A.

“Aloha” is more than a word of greeting or farewell or a salutation.

“Aloha” means mutual regard and affection and extends warmth in caring with no obligation in return.

“Aloha” is the essence of relationships in which each person is important to every other person for collective existence.

“Aloha” means to hear what is not said, to see what cannot be seen and to know the unknowable.

A: Akahai, meaning kindness, to be expressed with tenderness; Grace

L: Lokahi, meaning unity, to be expressed with harmony; of one mind – ke akua, connected and unbroken

O: Oluolu, meaning agreeable, to be expressed with pleasantness; gentle – how you would touch a baby

H: Ha’aha’a, meaning humility, to be expressed with modesty; be empty

A: Ahonui, meaning patience, to be expressed with perseverance; waiting for the moment, being prepared

Pilahi Paki

Aloha all
leafy

New Leaf

Pono-that balance-
pono

1. nvs. Goodness, uprightness, morality, moral qualities, correct or proper procedure, excellence, well-being, prosperity, welfare, benefit, behalf, equity, sake, true condition or nature, duty; moral, fitting, proper, righteous, right, upright, just, virtuous, fair, beneficial, successful, in perfect order, accurate, correct, eased, relieved; should, ought, must, necessary. Pono ʻole, unjust, unrighteous, dishonest, unprincipled, unfair, wrong. No kou pono, in your behalf. Ka pono o ka lehulehu, public welfare. Nā pono lāhui kānaka, human rights. Nā pono o nā wāhine, women's rights. Ka pono kahiko, the old morality or moral system. Pono i ke kānāwai, legal, legality. Pono ʻole ka manaʻo, disturbed, worried, upset. Me ka pono, respectfully [complimentary close in letters]. Nā mea e maopopo ai kona pono, proofs in his own favor, his defense. Kōkua no ka pono o ka lehulehu, help for the public welfare. Ka noʻonoʻo e pono ai kēia hana, the study necessary for this work. Loaʻa ka pono i ka lāhui mamuli o ke ahonui o ka ʻelele, the people were benefited by the patience of the delegate. E pono iāʻoe ke hele, you should go. Pono ʻo ʻoe ke hele, you should be the one to go. Pono i ke keiki e hele, the child ought to go. Ke ui mai nei ʻoe, ʻaʻohe aʻupono, when you turn to me, I have no rights. E ʻeha nō a e pono, no ka pinana nō i ke kumulāʻau, serves you right to be hurt, since you climbed the tree. Aia ka pono, ʻo ka pae aku, what is necessary is to reach shore. Pono e pili paʻa loa, inalienable rights. hoʻo.pono Righteous, respectable, correct, upright; to behave correctly.

Scent of Cedar *

Maybe it's all this talk about compost and manure and my desire to get to a simpler life. Manure-Pooh.
I just stumbled on an article about a book. It can be found here http://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html

I just read the site. I bookmarked it.

Thank you so much for posting for us, Leafy.

Manure-Pooh. I love that.

:O)

I have never read Winnie the Pooh.

I will, now.

I cherished that concept of the Uncarved Stone and the other character analyses. I will send this link to my Tai Chi instructor. No one knows what he really thinks about anything. But I think he will like this, very much.

I like it very much.

Thank you again, Leafy.

Cedar

New Leaf

I cherished that concept of the Uncarved Stone and the other character analyses. I will send this link to my Tai Chi instructor. No one knows what he really thinks about anything. But I think he will like this, very much.
Did your instructor have any comment Cedar?

leafy