Child freaking out in public

crtaylor

Help,
I am trapped at home with my 3 year old! He is as good as good at home and with other adults but if I take him out to see children he screams, hits, and bites. His father has an anxiety disorder and I am afraid my son does too. He is seeing a child psychologist who thinks so also. No medications have been prescribed as he is too young. He sees an occupational therapist.

My son has just been kicked out of preschool for hitting and biting the teachers but at home he is so depressed about his misbehavior.
I can't even go to church for an hour because he screams and becomes combative at Sunday school.

No one seems to have any meaningful suggestions about how to deal with him out in public when he gets wound up so I stay at home with him. I don't even go see my family. I am lonely and he is bummed about his inability to cope with other children.

Hi! Does your son have an IEP? I think that is awful that he's getting kicked out of school at such a young age! I am so sorry to hear that.
Others will be able to give you some good advice and suggestions, just wanted to say welcome.:D

BusynMember

Does he have any speech delays, poor eye contact with strangers, unusual toy play (lining toys up, taking toys apart), obessessions, great rote memory, socially clueless with his peers? I would have him see a neuropsychologist to see if he is on the high functioning autism spectrum. High anxiety is king with this disorder and it can helped, often without medications. My son has it. It does require interventions and the sooner the better. I wouldn't trust a plain psychologist to diagnose a child, especially a young one. they don't run any testing. I've found schools testing worthless too, unfortunately. Good luck.

crtaylor

He has none of the signs of autism that you mention. I keep asking about it and no-one thinks that is what it is. I don't think so either, but I have been wrong before, for sure.

I agree that a neuropsychologist evalution would be the way to go. I am currently embarking upon this journey with- my 3 year old, who currently has no definitive diagnosis. I believe it will help us to help him a lot better, when we find out exactly what we're dealing with. I wish I could be of more help. Aggressive behavior is so hard for everyone.

Sheila

Anxiety sounds a possibility.

Sometimes children react this way with-sensory overload. If your child is seeing an Occupational Therapist (OT) and s/he has a subspecialty in Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), you may want to discuss this issue with-the Occupational Therapist (OT).