Child is a wanderer..need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjg4god

just me
I have a 5 year old in Kindergarten that has a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and mood disorder. So far things at school have been ok but the teacher is complaining that he wanders around the room alot. He isn't really bothering anyone, but not getting all his work done. He just wanderes around aimlessly. Has anyone had issues with this? What suggestions can I give the teacher to help? Thanks for you advice.

yes i have had issues with my son doing this except mine runs up and down hallways and off of school property. What i am doing to solve this is I signed him up for an IEP team And also a family support person that works with disabled children in the classroom called a teachers aide. They will supposivly help with the child in the class room but we have yet to get anyone for him. we are in the long drawn out process of getting him the help he needs but it seems like everyone is waiting for everyone else to do something. Or everyone is waiting for us to get him what he needs and nobody else is willing to help.
So I hope that helps ya a little its not the perfect answer but it is an answer.

lmf64

Do Not, whatever you do, tell the teacher that if he doesn't get his work done to send it home. You will have years of homework battles as it is, don't take it on earlier than you have to.
Does he have his own work area? free from distractions? If the only way they can provide it is by putting his desk facing a wall, possibly in a corner, with a file cabinet on the third side. Your son's brain has enough chaos going on in it without having external chaos being thrown at him.
Another suggestion I'd make for the work area is turn off the overhead florescents and open the blinds. If necessary supplement the natural daylight with table/floor lamps.
They could try having him wear headphones with either white noise or waves lapping on the beach or nothing at all just blocking out some of the external chaos.
Are we talking about your difficult child 2 from your siggie?

Last edited:

Babbs

Has the teacher tried a visual schedule with him? These are often made from picture cards (line drawings) that the child has on his desk to help him follow each step for work completion. Also, does your child do better when he is moving? He may need a work station that he can stand at or a move 'n sit cushion or therapy ball at his desk to provide movement while he attempts worksheets. Sometimes kids on the spectrum really need fidgets to keep part of the body moving while the mind focuses on work.

I agree with imf64 do NOT offer to have him finish work at home - if it is that important for his learning for him to complete it, it needs to be done at school. Home should be for teaching other life skills like taking care of himself and doing chores as part of a family.

Has your son had prior support such as Special Education preschool or school based Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) or Occupational Therapist (OT) services? If not, I strongly suggest that you request an evaluation for special education due to his medical diagnosis adversely impacting his ability to participate in a free and appropriate education. Areas of concern would include not only IQ and academics, but also language, social/emotional, attention, memory, and behavioral concerns.

Mandy

Parent In Training
Little Bear is also a runner we found out last week. His school is in the process right now of doing the evaluation for SPED services. Last week the school called in a police officer because Little Bear wouldn't stop running in the room, then down the halls, then in the office etc. Thankfully the officer was very nice and assured me not to be worried that he was called in.

This week Little Bear actually made progress by just running outside the room and stopping. We also talked abt. how it isn't safe for him to run outside the classroom and I assured him I was working to help him as much as I can.

We also have had major homework issues and earlier this week the teacher sent home 2 extra papers because he hadn't finished in class. So after our 2 hr homework session I am definitly bringing up this issue at the Case Conference!! If I wanted to teach him, I would have homeschooled.

The school has until Oct. 9th to get the evaluation done and it can't come soon enough for me!!!

tjg4god

just me
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I am not yet sure how we are going to handle this, but I am meeting with a case manager from the doctors office today. She is to act as a leazon (sp) between the school, dr, and myself to make sure he is getting all he needs at school. I am hoping she has some suggetions. I am going to explore using a visual schedule with him at school if I can get the teacher to actually use it. I suggested that last year in pre-k and got nowhere. So thanks again for the suggestions. Feel free to add more.:)

Sheila

Do Not, whatever you do, tell the teacher that if he doesn't get his work done to send it home. You will have years of homework battles as it is, don't take it on earlier than you have to.

Amen to that!

If this is the only problem, your child may not qualify for an IEP just yet. The diagnosis is not what gets the child an IEP; the disability(ies) must impact the educational environment behaviorally or academically.

Start keeping a log. There will come a time when you need to "prove" your case. Very important that parents with children with-disabilities get in the habit of documenting and keeping records.

Status
Not open for further replies.