child with bi polar and anxiety disorder

BusynMember

Although both of these parents are right, it is NEVER a bad idea to question a medical diagnosis. This child has a lot of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) traits and I'd want it looked into. She could have both--30% of all Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids also have bipolar. She presents a complicated picture and I wouldn't just trust one opinion...and medications. If we had done that, our son would still be treated for the wrong disorder. Treating bipolar and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are two totally different paths, and treating a child who may have both is a very hard thing to do...and she may have both...or neither. I think she needs to be looked at more closely, poor little thing. I do recommend a neuropsychologist Evaluation. He will take her and test her in every single way possible. You'll have a better picture of what is going on with her--her strengths and weaknesses and a picture of what's going on should emerge much more clearly. Rather than guessing or even listening to us, I'd make that neuropsychologist appointment. It often takes a long time to get in because they are coveted testers, but it's worth the wait. This child needs help, isn't getting better, and a fresh more intensive evaluation can only help. I believe in "leave no stone unturned." (((Hugs)))

Jena

thank you for your input as i said it is very appreciated. Dont' you get tired though, overwhelmed by it all at times? wonder how it is you got to where you are? That's how i feel alot of the time. There are moments that she seems like an average functioning kid, then when any type of stress or pressure of daily life hits it all comes out.

i met with her dr. today he suggested stopping the medications adn getting a full pyschiatric and pyschological evaulation done on her now at a hospital. so i've contacted four so far. i'm from new york and new york presbyterian seems like the best. it costs a fortune though and insurance doens't cover any of these evaulations.

why do they make it so hard? i'm also wondering if she'll have to be admitted or not. I so hate to put her through this i truly do after all shes' been through 7 medication's and 5 or so dr.s in two years now.

i'm sorry i'm usually very positive but i kinda feel like i'm in hell right now.

thanks again though for sharing the thoughts it helps me more than i realize. and by the way i only hope i can be so strong and to keep going, 8 years is a long time.

Jena

Hi again to everyone hope everyone is well.

I had to tell my family tonight what the latest was, and it's as if no one's been truly seeing what's been going on sometimes. They offered to take my daugther for a mos. where they live an hour away stating a different environment would maybe help fix her. i just shook my head. my parents aren't the most supportive in the world let's just say they aren't supportive of my decisions regarding this or anything. so when they offered to remove my baby from her home, take her out of school, and place her an hour away with no medication's because they can "fix" her i simply took it for an insult. stating that the "key" element in all of this is reality and her lack of functioning in it well. When there's no pressure of school, etc. friends, peers she seems to be average functioning for the most part. Yet throw reality into mix and you've got my little girl.

so i'm afraid so afraid of admitting her, of being away from her for any period of time especially overnight with people she doen'st know. She's almost 9 and wont' handle that well at all. she's very anxiety ridden and very needy she will be so scared and afraid i don't think i can handle that. i really dont. just typing it now i'm crying. i'm going to look for an out patient situation. I know logically in patient is better but i dont think i can do it.

Anna1345

I have no words of wisdom except sometimes family, even with the best of intentions, will NEVER REALLY understand. I am sure your family meant well and only want the best for her, but sometimes what they feel is appropriate can cause more harm then good. Trust your gut. and lots of {{{{HUGS}}}} to you.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My in-laws "got it" after a very long time and many fights... I will not leave the girls with them for very long...

I am thinking of you and sending hugs during this VERY hard time... you have some tough decisions to make...
When I had to put K in the psychiatric hospital it was such a hard time, and I got to bring her back to the hotel with me at nigh... 5 weeks. It was very long....

Jena

hi,

5 weeks wow that's very long time. How did you find a place a hospital to evaluate her and one that takes insurance? what are her symptoms/diagnosis?

I contacted several hospitals none of which take insurance for an evaluation. out patient or inpatient. i honestly do not have the money to spend, it's that simple. feel like i am missing something here bigtime.

funny quirky thing is past two days for my daugther have been a bit better for her in school no nurse today. she usually asks about 30-40 times thru day. sometimes i think ok ill just take her off medications' again leave her alone give her time maybe she'll even out. than i wake up again, it's so weird.

she has moments where she is perfectly fine like tonite we spent night together watching movies eating pizza, etc. she was great now it's bedtime and a bit of her comes out. we play a game with the digital clock that seems to work i give her a number and she stares at clock until she passes out.

any info. you'd like to give i'd appreciate it.

thanks.
Jen