Children Labeled 'Bipolar' May Get A New Diagnosis

R

runawaybunny

Children Labeled 'Bipolar' May Get A New Diagnosis - NPR

Since the mid-1990s, the number of children diagnosed with bipolar disorder has increased a staggering 4,000 percent. And that number has caused a lot of controversy in the world of child psychiatry.

Doctors faced with kids struggling with explosive moods felt the diagnosis was appropriate and said that the bipolar medications they gave to children worked. Research psychiatrists worried that the children were being given a label that wasn't right for them, and saddled with the sentence of a serious mental illness for the rest of their lives.

In a move that could potentially change mental health practice all over America, the American Psychiatric Association has announced that it intends to include a new diagnosis in its upcoming fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual — and hopes that new label will be used by clinicians instead of the bipolar label. The condition will be called temper dysregulation disorder, and it will be seen as a brain or biological dysfunction, but not as a necessarily lifelong condition like bipolar.

maxeygirls

Well isn't that interesting. Our psychiatrist already discussed similar concerns with me about a month ago and asked permission to change difficult child's diagnosis to mood disorder with a secondary of bipolar in hopes that difficult child won't be labeled all her life. She explained that she truly does believe difficult child is bipolar but hates the label and the attitude towards it that she sees even from parents. I agree wholeheartedly with her thinking.

klmno

Yeah, difficult child had one psychiatrist give him Mood Disorder, not otherwise specified for that very reason. And it is hard for them to know for sure if a kid who had adolescent onset issues is truly BiPolar (BP) or if it's a combination of other things with depression that might have some things "go away" before they reach adulthood. Some cases of BiPolar (BP) in kids are more "obvious" than others, I think.