Chocolate Almond Biscotti

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
As requested by busywend, here they are...I will post the regular non-chocolate ones in a moment.

Chocolate Almond Biscottis

1/2 Cup butter softened (1 stick)
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1/4 Cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup almonds, sliced

Chocolate Glaze

1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbs shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil)

Heat oven to 350F.

Beat butter and sugar until blended.
Add eggs and almond extract; beat well.
Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until smooth.

(Dough will be thick.) Stir in almonds using wooden spoon.
Shape dough into two 11-inch-long rolls.

Place rolls 3 to 4 inches apart on large ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 30 minutes or until rolls are set. Remove from oven; cool on cookie sheet 15 minutes.

Using serrated knife, cut rolls diagonally using sawing motion, into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices, cut sides down, close together on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 9 minutes.

Turn slices over; bake an additional 8 to 9 minutes; cool on cookie sheet on wire rack.

Prepare Chocolate Glaze. Place 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening (do no t use butter, margarine or oil) into small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. Makes about 1 cup glaze.

Dip end of each biscotti in glaze or drizzle over entire cookie.

Garnish with additional almonds, if desired.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Almond Biscotti

2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 Large eggs
2 Tbs Amaretto (OR 2 tbs rum with 1 tsp. almond extract)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp anise extract (optional-I don't use this).
1 Cup whole almonds toasted & chopped a few times, not too fine

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

Whisk the eggs, amaretto (if using, or the almond extract and rum), vanilla and anise extracts in your mixer until well blended.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Dough should be thick and sticky at this point--do not worry, and DO NOT add more flour!

Scrape the dough out onto a parchment lined sheet pan.

Flour your hands and shape into a long flat loaf about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide. This will be kind of messy, so don't worry about how neat it is, just try to get it in that general shape.

Bake until firm and dry, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool 10 minute.

Use a long serrated knife and slice into 1/2-inch wide slices. Lay the slices cut side down on the baking sheet and bake another 20 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake 20 minutes more, or until the cookies are a light golden brown.

Cool the biscotti on a rack; cool completely before storing.

*When cooled, I use the Chocolate Glaze as above. Enjoy!

Lothlorien

Sounds similar to the ones I make. I put a little dried cranberries in mine with some orange zezt, sometimes, just for something different.

bby31288

Quick question...I emailed this Chocolate Almond recipe to my husband. It mentions to combine the sugar with the butter, but you didn't list how much sugar to use. Do you use 1 Cup like in the original Almond Biscotti you posted underneath the Chocolate one?