cholesterol

H

HaoZi

The best way to figure out the ice cream numbers is simply a LOT of label reading and comparing. Many companies have it available online, so that can save you some legwork.

InsaneCdn

Thanks, all...

So far, the biggest problems are still:
1) Me. (more on that later)
2) the stockpile of stuff he can't have anymore
3) the budget
4) enough space in the fridge

ME. Biggest problem.
I am NOT a cook. Period.
I "get by"... a few basics, and some "cheats".
BUT... husband can't have the "cheats" any more. (chicken fingers, pre-breaded fish, pancakes and sausages, etc.!)

So what on earth can I do that doesn't cost more than what we're doing now... in place of:

A) Protein for breakfast. We've done eggs for years. We've agreed that he will drop his week-day egg, and reduce weekend "treat" to one egg per day... reasonable per the guidelines. BUT. Can't have sausage or bacon... and about the ONLY thing he refuses to eat is peanut butter (or any equivalent of that). What else can we use for breakfast protein??? (don't say eggbeaters... I saw the price!)

B) Lunch ideas. IF we have good leftovers, its no problem - he's fine with leftovers. The rest of the time... has always been bread and "real" cheese. But even "low fat" cheese is not recommended... only "fat free". And that is not "real" cheese. (I happen to agree with that.) Ham keeps pretty good, but he can't have ham. AARGH. I need a really fast-and-easy no-preplanning-required LUNCH. That is low in artery-clogging stuff. Ideas?

C) Pasta. We have eaten for years with just pasta, a bit of butter, and grated cheese. But... what ELSE can you put on pasta? (it will have to be home-made... can't afford pre-made pasta sauces and such - and we don't have any good recipes for this stuff)

D) What do you do with 3 large blocks of full-fat sharp cheddar... that nobody else in the house can eat?

Any creative ideas out there?
(just when you're bored with the holiday activities and have time to think...)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Fat free cheese? That's plastic, in my opinion. Blech.

Protein. OK, how about turkey sausage and bacon? They're not great, but they are much better than they used to be.

Turkey ham... It's actually QUITE good. If he'll eat wheat bread... Some turkey ham and tomatoes with mustard?

The cheddar... Freeze it. You can use it very sparingly. (I love cheddar...) For a sandwich spread, mix a small amount of grated cheddar with fat-free cream cheese.

Quick & easy pasta sauce: 4 tomatoes & 1 small onion, diced, 1 tbsp minced garlic, some rosemary, thyme, basil & oregano (small amounts). Saute garlic & onion in a little olive oil until the onion is transparent, then add the rest, and saute the whole mess. YUM. (It also doesn't give me indigestion like the canned or jarred marinara sauce does!)