Christmas Cards Away

M

Mamaof5

My cards are out, I apologize that they are late I had to wait until disability came in because it cost me 26 bucks in stamps LOL

However, THEY ARE OUTBOUND WOOT! Happy happy!

M

Mamaof5

1.37 for New Zealand and then most of the amount it came to was all American stamps. Yeesh, but I like spreading cheerfulness in the form of cards. It felt good to put them in the mail and I'll take feel good moments anywhere I can get them right about now. 26 bucks well spent.

InsaneCdn

Within Canada = $0.59
To USA = $1.03
To anywhere else = $1.75

And yes, that's just for a standard letter.
Oversize, undersize, unusual dimensions (read... lots of cards...) or overweight... is more.

M

Mamaof5

Anywhere else is 1.75? hrm maybe it was that price I paid, I could have sworn she said 1.37 but I'm number dyslexic (literally, seriously I am) and well, hearing impaired. It was busy and noisy she probably said 1.75 and not 1.37...

You know something, all the American side cards that are coming in are all priced at 80C a piece or 82C a piece for stamps. Huh, us Canuks really get the short end of the stick when it comes to prices. My sister in law was telling me a couple weeks ago that she can go state side (She lives in Niagara Falls) and get 2 gallons of milk for a 1.80 (plastic jugs). Want to know what we pay here in Elliot Lake for 4 liters? 5.99$. At the gas bar\ convenience stores it's 7.99$

InsaneCdn

Not really a fair compare - you pay a major premium on everything due to being remote.
A gallon of milk here, is more like $2.39 or $2.79 (I haven't done the shopping for a year, so don't remember exactly)... but certainly not in the price ranges you are quoting.

Part of the difference is... our milk is controlled, which means less short-cuts (like BGH) in milk production - but it comes at a cost of course.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Huh, us Canuks really get the short end of the stick when it comes to prices. My sister in law was telling me a couple weeks ago that she can go state side (She lives in Niagara Falls) and get 2 gallons of milk for a 1.80 (plastic jugs). Want to know what we pay here in Elliot Lake for 4 liters? 5.99$. At the gas bar\ convenience stores it's 7.99$

Ugh! $1.80 for 2 gallaons of milk???

Not here. I buy a gallon of milk on SALE for $3.50...and that's the store brand.

Of course, gas here is $2.82 a gallon this morning...so it balances out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmm... Let's see, US to US, $0.44, US to Canada, $0.88, US to NZ, $0.98.

Stamps anyway.

Gas around here is $3.499/gal, diesel $4.159. Regular unleaded was $3.049 yesterday AM, by the time I left work it had jumped $0.45.

Milk... If I am lucky I can get it for $2.25/gal, store brand. More usually it's upwards of $3. BUT, I got 5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $9.95 last week...

M

Mamaof5

Hmm... Let's see, US to US, $0.44, US to Canada, $0.88, US to NZ, $0.98.

Stamps anyway.

Gas around here is $3.499/gal, diesel $4.159. Regular unleaded was $3.049 yesterday AM, by the time I left work it had jumped $0.45.

Milk... If I am lucky I can get it for $2.25/gal, store brand. More usually it's upwards of $3. BUT, I got 5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $9.95 last week...

5lbs of chicken for 10 bucks!!! Holy hannah banana! I am moving in with you step2, packing my bags RIGHT NOW!!!

5 lbs of skinless chicken breast would cost me anywhere from 20 to 40 dollars or more! A pack of 2 costs 10 bucks (that doesn't even hit a half lb for weight).

True we do have a transport premium here because we are in the middle of butt feck no where... off the major highway (quite off the beaten path actually)... it's a 1.23/L for regular gas here (that's about 4.50/g to 5/g depending on fluctuations and exchange rates maybe a bit more - amazing huh)

InsaneCdn

Mama...

Yer so far off the beaten track, that if you were any further down that track, you'd be farmin' and trappin' and such!
In fact... at least that way you'd have most of the food issue solved... except for the old staples: salt, sugar, baking powder, tea, coffee...

<LOL>

We're in the middle of nowhere too except that we're ON the major highway from "somewhere" to "somewhere else"... so we don't have the transportation premium.

M

Mamaof5

<LOL> Yeah Good old cantankerous Elliot Lake! Hunting...did someone say huuuuntinggg....MOOSE ME!

*sigh* This sh-t hole town sucks quick frankly but I'm biased right now. Mind you, the hunting, swimming holes, lakes and bush camping sometimes make up for it in the summers. The retirement living company here has run us into a 10 million dollar deficit bullying our mayoral council. *shakes head* It's rather sad how badly run down Elliot Lake has become.

TerryJ2

Congrats on the cards, Mamaof5!

I'm 98% finished, and I apologize to those of you who will get yours late.
It's the thought that counts. And if you don't have a brain, it's really, really hard. :twister2: