Christmas crock pot meal?

witzend

Does anyone have any ideas for something I can put into the crock pot that will cook while we are out at the movies that will be a bit extra yummy for Christmas?

I mentioned in another thread that M doesn't like pot roast or stew. Not to say that they're out, but if there is something else that sounds good I might try it. The rest of us LOVE pot roast and stew!

TIA!

SRL

A turkey breast works well in the crock pot.

Have you ever tried that crock pot Italian Beef recipe with Italian Good Seasonings dry mix and optional peperocinis? That's really good served on rolls. My sister in law makes it with turkey breast and it's good too.

klmno

As far as sides with the pork loin, I would think rice or scalloped potatoes, or even those fancy tiny potatoes that you boil, along with green beans or asparagus and a dinner roll. At least that's what comes to my mind.

I got the thread confused with the one about recipes so I'm copying my response here.

jal

Sorry, I think I started the confusion!

Dammit Janet - with-regards to the other thread and pork loin. Have you tried marinating it in teriyaki? Do that and then put it in tin foil with-some sliced green pepper and onion. Add a touch of fresh marinate and fold foil into a pocket. Bake at 350 for an hour in a baking dish. (1 loin-1lb). Tasty and tender with-a veggie side dish!

muttmeister

I usually make this pork loin for Christmas in the oven. The recipe is a little (not much) more complicated but I have done it in the crock pot like this and it comes out really good. With it we usually have sweet potato casserole, cranberry Stove-Top, sometimes au gratin potatoes, plus the usual green bean casserole, some kind of Jell-o salad, cranberry ice, hot rolls, and Christmas desserts (red and green poke cake, pumpkin pie, chocolate cherry fruit cake, suet pudding, and mince meat pie made from my great grandmother's mince meat recipe.)

klmno

cranberry ice

MM- I'm probably the only one here that doesn't know what this is but it sounds good, so could you maybe put a recipe on the recipe thread for it? Pretty please???? Or is it the same as the cranberry salad made with jello?

muttmeister

Well, I'll be 62 years old next week and I've probably had cranberry ice at least 60 Christmases. It is a family tradition. It's kind of like sherbet; my kids loved it when they were little. It's great because you can make it several weeks ahead and put it in the freezer.

to make it: cook 4 cups of cranberries in 2 3/4 cups of water till the berries all pop. Then put it through a sieve to get the seeds out and set aside. Then soften 1 tablespoon plain gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water, Add 2 cups sugar and heat it all till the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the cranberry puree and 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Pour in a flat pan (about 9x13) and freeze till firm. When it is well frozen, take it out and spoon it into a mixer bowl; beat it well - it will turn a beautiful fluffy pink. Refreeze it and it is ready when you are.

klmno

That sounds delicious! Thank you! I need to sit down tomorrow and copy it along with a few other recipes from here into my recipe book. I already have that on my list of things to do!

susiestar

Roll With It
You can put a turkey breast in the crockpot, meat side DOWN so the moisture stays in. Serve with good bread or rolls, potato salad or mashed potatos made ahead, or twice baked potatoes made ahead and heated in the microwave. Add a fruit salad and a veggie, and maybe a relish tray to snack on before you eat.

Then all you need is a dessert.

OR you can combine all the ingredients for Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole and cook it in the crockpot. Serve with whatever. For me this is easily a main course.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
A few years running I put Cornish game hens in the crockpot with a combo of orange juice & cranberry sauce (don't know if I have the recipe or not).

In the second crockpot I made a wild rice stuffing. The side dishes I made ahead & just needed to be warmed. We took the tweedles out to the movies & by the time we were home we had dinner within 30 minutes.

KTMom91

I love chicken in the Crock-pot. I put an onion in the bird, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve with Rice a Roni.

Andy

There is a group on Facebook full off crockpot recipes. Just search Crockpot Recipes and it should come up. A favorite super easy recipe of mine is a ham in the crockpot. Use a liner. Rub the ham with brown sugar, pour over pineapple juice, pour pancake syrup over all and cook on low for four hours. You can prepare it in the liner and store in the fridge overnight to put in the crockpot in the morning. I like to slice the ham about 1/2 - 1 hour before serving and add pineapple rings between the slices. No dry or salty ham when made this way.

Californiablonde

For Christmas this year I am trying a new chicken tortilla soup recipe for the crock pot. My kids are getting really sick of the crock pot dinners I usually make and a good friend just emailed me the recipe for the soup. I can't wait to try it. If you would like me to post the recipe, just let me know.